PDA

View Full Version : Just want to thank those sharing developmental issues

mamahill
03-07-2003, 03:35 PM
As a mother, I find myself comparing Ainsleigh to other babies. While I think she's great the way she is, I still worry, "She's not crawling/walking like that..." "She's not saying/singing that..." "She's not balancing my checkbook..." Ok, so maybe not that last one, but you know what I mean.

So I just wanted to thank those mothers who have shared their children's developmental issues (verbal, motor, etc.). Were it not for you, I think I (and maybe others?) would be hesitant to express worries over our children, for fear of being judged harshly as parents. Generally in public you only hear people boasting of how their child was spelling at a year or walking at 4 months...

And I wanted to thank those of you who know so much, as parents who have BTDT and professionals. It relieves me to know that should Ainsleigh exhibit the same symptoms (for lack of a better word), I have a warm and intelligent community where I may gain the answers and comfort I need.

Rachels
03-07-2003, 04:56 PM
I agree! But Sarah, it's so clear to me from hanging around these boards that perfectly bright and healthy babies develop on vastly different schedules. I remember Kate saying once that when they're all in college, no one will care who sat up when or who said what first word. I've thought of that many times. Abigail crawled later than many babies we know, and I had started to wonder. But then when she did it, I was so excited! Not because of her age in any way, but because this is my baby, learning to do stuff she's never done before.

But I agree about the safety and sacredness of this community.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

mama2be
03-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Rachel,

I too think of those words of wisdon that we all got from these boards...that on no application is it asking us when we walked etc...and know future spouse or company is asking for that on our social resume or professional resume. Those words are going to make me relax so much more and to enjoy him for what he is.

Just wanted to share that I think of those words often myself...

I remind friends and even DH of that often when they say "wow they have this and they have that"...I always say for those who want to compare lives you really can't do it till everyone you are comparing has passed because it is only then that you really get the true picture of how lucky someone was or how unlucky someone was...or how rich or poor someone was...or how happy and unhappy someone was etc... etc...

Like the gal who tried to tell me that children who are BF are more social than children who are not...I swear I wanted to challange her to bring her child around mine in 18 years and lets compare (sure I might have gambeled...but doubt it...infact had she been "social" she would have not said such a thing to me after I shared my wishes with her...