PDA

View Full Version : While we are discussing develpment...

abigailsmom
03-07-2003, 04:49 PM
Abigail is 6.5 months old and still has not rolled over. She is almost sitting up by herself (except when she looks suddenly, hiccups, or sneezes), but there is no way she is rolling over. I have even layed on the floor and rolled around like an idiot, but she just laughs. Is this something I should worry about? (I keep hearing from SIL that her dd & ds did this at this age!) x(

TIA

parkersmama
03-07-2003, 06:04 PM
Although most babies hit this milestone between 4 & 6 months, I wouldn't worry too much if she's starting to sit by herself. Sitting requires muscular development so that shouldn't be the cause of the non-rolling. Maybe she's just not very motivated to flip around! After all, what's there to see that she hasn't already gotten a good view of! LOL!

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003

mamahill
03-07-2003, 07:26 PM
Ainsleigh rolled for two days and hasn't done it since. Occasionally she does, but she really couldn't care less. She started sitting at 6 months and army-crawls all over the place (I try showing her how fun and easy it is to crawl on hands and knees, but she just giggles). She loves to stand and will do it for a long time. Her ped wasn't too concerned since she is still on track in her other developmental abilities. Some babies just aren't motivated in some areas. Don't worry!

egoldber
03-07-2003, 09:38 PM
As long as your baby is sitting, I wouldn't worry about rolling. One of the babies in my playgroup didn't roll over until he was like 9 or 10 months. He is now a running machine at 18 1/2 months.

HTH,

abigailsmom
03-09-2003, 01:44 AM
Thanks ladies! I thought I was just being paranoid, but I worry!

sarasprings
03-09-2003, 08:58 AM
Hi. I know you have a lot of responses, but I thought I would give you one more. My DS rolled over at 2 1/2 months. He did it consistently for about a month and then stopped until he was 9 months. I was pretty worried at the time, but now that he is doing it, and squirming all over during diaper and clothing changes, I actually feel pretty lucky that he waited. In his peds words, "He probably just didn't want to turn over." The doctor was more concerned about about sitting.

juliasdad
03-10-2003, 12:34 PM
I'm curious as to rolling direction.

DD first rolled from her stomach to her back somewhere around age 3-4mo. She did it twice, so it didn't seem like an accident. Then nothing. At about 5.5 months, she learned to roll from her back to her stomach, and now does that constantly with ease... yet she can't seem to get from her stomach to her back, and sometimes seems frustrated at night in the crib, when she's gotten herself rolled onto her belly and decides that she'd prefer to be on her back and can't get there.

I've read that they do stomach-to-back first and that it should be easier. And we did see her do it first, months ago, but now it's like it never happened. Strange.

-dan

Karenn
03-10-2003, 01:37 PM
Dan,
I have a number of friends who sleep their babies on their tummies. (I know it's hard to believe, but true.) All of them consistently rolled tummy to back first. Many, but not all, of the rest of the babies I know who sleep on their backs rolled back to tummy first. My suspicion is that most of the books that say tummy to back happens first were written when most babies were sleeping on their tummies. Just a theory. :)

Colin did the same thing by the way- rolled over a few times at three months, and then forgot about it until 4.5 months.

juliasdad
03-10-2003, 02:25 PM
Interesting theory! Makes sense, I suppose. Thanks!

About a week ago (at 6 months), Julia decided that she is no longer a back sleeper. We put her down for a nap or nighttime on her back in her sleepsack, and she invariably wakes on her tummy (and will often roll onto her tummy immediately after being put down).

-dan

August Mom
03-10-2003, 10:37 PM
My DS may fall into your theory. He is a back sleeper and easily rolls from back to stomach. He did this first. He can roll from stomach to back but does not do so consistently and also gets frustrated during the night when he rolls to his stomach and wants back on his back.

COElizabeth
03-10-2003, 10:53 PM
James fits the theory, too! And here I was proudly telling DH that he is already a noncomformist. Oh well.

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

Andrea S
03-11-2003, 12:00 AM
That is funny b/c Andrew rolled from back to front first and he slept on his back.

Andrea