PDA

View Full Version : We did a dry run today to the birthing center.

gour0
03-08-2003, 07:25 PM
You know, making sure we know the way, figuring out how long it takes to get there, etc. :) I had a long talk with the two nurses on duty and they were very nice. Two things, though. One is that all the rooms were full and they had another mother waiting for a room! I had a feeling that would happen. Grrr... I hope it doesn't happen to us! And, the second is that they brought up something I hadn't thought of about the ultrasound, namely that it Could opt me out of the birth center if they think Benjamin is too big! Technically you can't birth there if the baby is over 9 lbs 12 0z. I'm thinking about just refusing the u/s... Especially since they are so wildly inaccurate! I may call my midwife and discuss this with her. Double Grrr!

mama2be
03-09-2003, 08:29 PM
I know that dry run is exciting...

I don't blame you for wanting to refuse the US...but can't help but doubt that you'd have to worry about the baby being 9lbs and 12 oz (that's a lot...I think)...

How many rooms does your BC have???
What are the stats for them not having enough room???

Anyway I'd put all of those fears behind me (though I know it is difficult)...it will work out, they I am certain know how to work it well, where you won't even notice the shuffling around of patients if needed.

I think the last two weeks has been busy for babies, atleast according to my birthing center...so things might die down a bit...you'll be fine I am certain!!!

gour0
03-09-2003, 09:57 PM
They only have three rooms. They opened in January so I don't think there are stats yet, per se. I did call my midwife today and told her I am not going to have the US. The nurses told me that it is standard procedure to offer it, but that I can refuse so I did. I don't feel that it is necessary. Even if Benajamin is ten pounds, I still feel that we can have him naturally. So, I'm sticking with the benefit of the doubt at this point. My 'plan' is to give birth on the 21st and to have a water birth. LOL! My sister thinks I'm very spoiled because most people just take what they get and I am placing my order. :) I told her it is just the power of positive thinking.

mama2be
03-09-2003, 11:52 PM
It is the power of positive thinking!!! If you don't stay positive then how can anyone else...you're tackling a great feat and you'll need all of positive thinking for the experience.

The first day of Spring what a great time to have a baby!!!

I can't wait to hear all about it :)...

Rachels
03-10-2003, 09:17 AM
Stacey, good for you! Several of the women in my study who gave birth in birthing centers had 10 pound babies, and they all delivered naturally, no tears, no episiotomies. No lying on their backs to push, either! Your confidence is wonderful. (And you probably do not have a 10 pound baby.)

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

gour0
03-10-2003, 10:03 AM
I have a friend who gave birth to a ten pound plus baby at U of M and all she had was the episiotomy. She also said they gave her prostaglandin gel to get things started one week after her due date. I don't really know what that is, but she didn't think it was very invasive...? Better than pitocin I guess?
The funny thing about the water birth is that they don't 'allow' them at the birthing center yet. But, the backup midwife is lobbying for them with the hospital administration big time. And, the nurses told me that if I had her she was more likely to sort of 'look the other way' if I just decide not to get out of the tub. So, I have even MORE reason to give birth on the 21st because my midwife will be on vacation and I will probably get the backup! ;)