PDA

View Full Version : All Natural Cleaning Products?

etwahl
03-08-2003, 08:03 PM
My doula has recommended that I look into all natural cleaning products. Granted, she told me to do that while I was pregnant, but I just haven't yet. I figure it's better late than never though. I guess I'm wondering if I should be concerned about using the products I use now (like the windex, pledge, etc.) because they get in the air and could be ingested by the baby, or they "land" on the floor, etc.

So next question, if I switch to the natural cleaning products, are there any recommendations for which brands and where I can buy them? I don't want to go broke trying to do it, so if there is somewhere I can buy them cheaper that would be great.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

gravymommy3
03-08-2003, 08:13 PM
Tammy,

I have never used "all-natural" anything and my three kids are just fine. I think that as long as you clean in a well-ventalated area, you are ok. I am sure you know not to mix bleach and ammonia together because of the fumes (and correct me if I am wrong, but aren't bleach and ammonia naturally occuring??). I say, don't stress yourself over this. Just don't sniff the stuff and you and the baby will be fine (heck, come to think of it, I even painted with the first two pregnancies and the kids are fine). I think that stress right now would be more harmful than a cleaning product. If you are really worried about it, just don't clean!!!

Good luck in the next few days.

COElizabeth
03-08-2003, 08:42 PM
I've been somewhat interested as well. I know when I am cleaning my bathrooms (which of course are relatively confined spaces), I feel like the cleaners smell REALLY strong, and it just doesn't seem like they can be that great for you. The book Super Baby Food has some suggestions for cheap, natural cleaners, but some of her ideas are a little extreme for me, and I would also welcome other suggestions. Of course, what I would really like to have is a cleaning service that would use all natural, non-toxic cleaners so I wouldn't even have to keep any of the stuff around the house. :) Didn't one of us used to run that type of service? I just read it on the bio thread the other day. I can't remember who it was, but I bet she would have some great suggestions! BTW, I am amazed that you are even contemplating cleaners of any sort right now. You must be nesting!

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

etwahl
03-08-2003, 09:28 PM
I agree. Whenever I clean, the smell is pretty overpowering (especially our bathrooms which don't have windows).

Well it's not that I want to clean, but I can't stand it when my house gets messy - it's been more than 2 weeks since my last cleaning session, so it was definitely time. I was sore afterwards though (especially my back) but will have my friend come over to do my vacuuming (can't do the bending over for the wood floors!)

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

KathyO
03-08-2003, 09:31 PM
It's amazing how far you can go with just:

Dish detergent (add a squirt to mop bucket when cleaning floors, or to rag when cleaning counters)
Baking soda (scrubbing sinks, tubs, fixtures, etc. - just rub on with a damp cloth and sluice off with water)
Vinegar - dilute with water and use as window cleaner

That covers about 80% of our household cleaning needs. I bought an eco-friendly toilet bowl cleaner, and that just about covers it. My husband (the wood fanatic) uses some kind of oil soap on the wood, but about once a year or so only.

Give 'em a try and see if they work for you...

Cheers,

KathyO

atlbaby
03-08-2003, 10:13 PM
The only all natural cleaning product I use is an all purpose non toxic/all natural spray called Sun & Earth All Purpose Cleaner. I bought it when I got Arielle's high chair nearly a year ago, and didn't want to be using regular cleansers on it with her licking everything. I *love* it!!! It smells like orange too!:) Now I actually use it for cleaning counter tops, the stove, anything that comes in contact with food really, and it is as good as the 'regular' type cleaners. I get it at Whole Foods (there is a whole Sun & Earth line, with detergents etc) but I think I've seen teh cleaner at the supermarket in the natural foods section.

HTH!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
#2:) EDD 10/24/03

nohomama
03-08-2003, 11:07 PM
It was me who co-owned and operated the non-toxic cleaning service, "Crazy Ladies Green Cleaning." We made all of our own cleaning solutions and scrubs using baking soda, washing soda, borax, vinegar, and castile soap. "Clean and Green" by Annie Bertold Bond was our bible and is a great source for recipes.

Most "regular" cleaners are toxic to humans or the environment in some way. Some, like Murphy's Oil Soap, contain EDTA which, while not harmful to us, does a number on rivers and streams and the wildlife that exists in those ecosystems. Others are down right poisonous and may have a cumulative effect. Just look at the high rates of illnesses like asthma which have an environmental component. I developed asthma in my early twenties and do believe that the cumulative exposure to household toxins, including cleaning products, played a role.

I still pretty much clean the same way I did when I owned the cleaning service. When ever I run out of something, it takes less than 5 minutes to make more. I do purchase some cleaning products and occassionally they aren't non-toxic (e.g. bleach). I really like Seventh Generation's Dish Soap (I like Sun & Earth too) as well as their Glass and Surface cleaner (both can be found at natural food stores like Whole Foods, online at www.giam.com, or the natural section of many regular grocery stores).

For those who are interested here are a few recipes to try out. Happy cleaning!

Scrub:

1 C baking soda
1 C borax
vegetable based soap (such as Dr. Bronner's) to make paste the consistency of a thick cake batter
10 drops of tea tree oil or other essential oil (optional)

Bucket Cleaning Solution - When I REALLY clean, this is what I use:

2 Gallons HOT water
2 T washing soda
2 T borax
1/4 C white vinegar
1 T Dr. Bronner's

Spray Cleaner for spray bottle:

1 t borax
1/2 t washing soda
2 T vinegar or lemon juice
1/4 to 1/2 t Dr. Bronner's
2 C HOT water (washing soda will clog the spray bottle unless it's completely dissolved)

HTH,

parkersmama
03-08-2003, 11:13 PM
In most states/cities the building code requires that all windowless rooms (like bathrooms) have a ventilation fan. Make sure to turn it on when you are cleaning, especially if you are using bleach. It really helps cut down on the fumes.

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003

zen_bliss
03-09-2003, 12:01 AM
bi-o-kleen makes a nice line of products with a grapefruit seed or citrus extract base that go a long way.

i cleaned houses in college and i am over heavy chemicals. i once knocked myself out cold by forgetting to flush between emptying the ammonia and bleach solutions in the toilet. most supermarket cleaners are some mix of baking soda, ammonia, or bleach and you can save money just knowing which thing to use for which application.

i haven't used commercial cleaning stuff for years -- the only thing i ever buy on occasion is soft scrub. our water is not great, and it gets right to the point on the tub.

if you have a whole foods or wild oats or any kind of 'health food' shop nearby, they should have a good line for you to try. i especially like the orange peel cleaner in a spray bottle -- effective, made with citrus, and smells nice.

there is also cleaner called Simple Green that works for just about everything from windows to greasy grills in different dilutions and is easily available at Home Depot but i am not crazy about the smell.

sntm
03-10-2003, 06:16 PM
i love simple green. works for everything.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

kapow
03-11-2003, 03:01 PM
I third Simple Green. I only use it in the kitchen but I use it on everything, even the wood floor in a pinch. The smell doesn't bother me but the spray bottle is weak.

I use the following to keep my faucets clear - I use this from time to time when I remember, and I've never had a clog.

Pour 1 cup of baking soda down the drain. Then pour several good-sized pours of vinegar (any kind will do) and let it foam, and repeat a few times to let the reaction get all the way down the pipes. Finish with about three minutes of very hot water continuously running down the drain.

I used a tarragon-and-white-wine vinegar once in a pinch. The kitchen smelled refreshing when I was done :)

juliasdad
03-11-2003, 03:32 PM
Simple Green is a good general household cleanser, but be careful with it. It is strong enough to remove lacquer from lacquered brass, and it has been prohibited for use in the US military as well as private aviation because it has been shown to be moderately corrosive to aluminum and must be rinsed off of aluminum very well.

-dan