PDA

View Full Version : Birthing Centers

JulieL
03-08-2003, 08:32 PM
My best friend told me about what she had read about birthing centers and that she was interested in finding more out. She is not pregnant, but is interested in finding out facts before her and her husband take the parenting leap. So my question is have you used one? What was your experiance? How does it compare to a hospital, and why would you want one over a hospital? What happens if you have a conflict with your midwife and want another? And where in the country are these found? I live in St. Louis, and maybe I am just uninformed, but having delivered a year ago I don't ever remember hearing about birthing centers here. Could be that it's just not caught on in the midwest? So what's your thoughts? Pro's and con's please.

-JulieL
mama to Anthony 3/23/02

Rachels
03-08-2003, 09:40 PM
They're wonderful. I gave birth in one and also wrote my dissertation about birthing options. Half the women I interviewed had given birth in birthing centers, and without exception, they had fewer interventions, no tears or episiotomies, and phenomenal experiences. Birth centers are less expensive than and statistically as safe or safer than hospitals. I'd be happy to answer any questions. Meanwhile, check out these books: Gentle Birth Choices, The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth, and Immaculate Deception. Also, here's a link:

http://www.birthcenters.org/

HTH!!!!!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

mama2be
03-08-2003, 10:48 PM
Anthony shares my birthday :)...

I also went to a birth center, and planned to deliver there...I always said "if things go as planned..." which if you choose one I recommend you say all of the time...

..."I plan a water birth at the birthing center"...

Well in my case my water broke and miconium was in it so I was transferred to a hospital BUT my midwives came with me, they delivered, and I was discharged 9 hours later (under their care and sign off). I had a home visit two days later from the midwives and both Tristan and I are followed up by them for two weeks, and then I am also followed up at 6 weeks.

A birthing center is not for everyone, but I recommned that you look into it and suspect you'll know right away if it is of interest to you. I hope to have my next baby at the Birhting Center, though had a splended experience at the hospital too...

Good luck!!! Keep us posted!!!

JulieL
03-10-2003, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the info. It helps to know peoples perspectives. I hope this helps my best friend out. Plus I am very interested in all of this for my own interest as well.

-JulieL
mama to Anthony 3/23/02

michlee
03-10-2003, 11:48 PM
I also gave birth in a birthing center and can honestly say it was one of the most incredible experiences of my life. I chose a birthing center over a hospital because I was concerned a hospital would try to "manage" my birth too much. Plus, I wasn't too crazy about giving birth in such a "sterile" environment and preferred to give birth in a place that was a little more comfortable and homelike.

"The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" is a great book. I highly recommend it. There's also a video out there called "Born in the USA". The video follows three woman as they give birth: one at home, one in a birth center, and one in a hospital. I think the video is a good way to compare a birth center vs. hospital birth.

The birth center I used was in the Seattle-area because that's where we lived at the time. Sorry, but I don't know about St. Louis.