PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about new baby :)

mama2be
03-09-2003, 12:25 PM
I have a few quick questions:

1. He is peeling on his legs and hands, thin thin sheets of skin on his feet, enough to actually flake. Is this normal???

2. He has a little blister on his lip from the bottle I think...is this normal???

3. He does not appear to be following us with his eyes, or even following "things", when do they start to do that-Tuesday he will be two weeks old???

4. Today is warm out and Steve thinks I am over heating him in a onesie with feet, but I think they loose so much heat that I can't over heat him, it's high 60s I would guess.

5. While I'm bombarding you with questions...when does this line down my tummy dissapear??? It is so dark that it looks like it is there to stay...:)

Thanks in advance everyone...

Momof3Labs
03-09-2003, 12:57 PM
Hi Neve,

I'll try on some of these:

1. Yes, that is normal right now.

2. I don't know - I'll defer to the bottle feeders.

3. Colin was following things with his eyes by 4-5 weeks - I don't think he was at two weeks.

4. Tristan will let you know if he is too warm, trust me! I think that a light footed sleeper with a onesie underneath (or undershirt) is perfect for high 60's weather.

5. Gosh - my line is gone now, but I don't know when it disappeared. Certainly not in the first month - maybe around the second month or so? My stretch marks are finally fading, I can tell you that...

Sounds like things are going well!! Give Tristan a hug from his auntie Lori and Colin!

Sandy
03-09-2003, 01:18 PM
I agree with all of Pamela's comments and for # 2 yes that is from sucking the bottle. We had Alexander on the bottle the first week until my milk came in and he had a bottle blister too and it is totally normal.

Sandy
mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02

C99
03-09-2003, 01:38 PM
1. Yes.

3. In the second month, based on what I've read. Nate really doesn't do it yet but he's gestationally not there yet.

twins r fun
03-09-2003, 01:49 PM
The bottle blister is normal. Only one of my twins got it though so I think it depends on how they position their lips around the bottle, how much they move their lips while sucking, and how vigorously they suck. It might help to wriggle the bottle a little as he feeds to make sure his lip isn't doubled over on itself or that the nipple isn't always hitting his lips in exactly the same way. I think the blisters only occured in the first 2 months or so-after that Jacob's lips must have toughened up!

Nicole

mama2be
03-09-2003, 02:40 PM
Thank you ladies I knew you'd put this nervous new mommy at ease!!!

Thanks for responding!!!

COElizabeth
03-09-2003, 04:12 PM
Neve, yes, the blisters are normal, and they can happen with breast-fed babies, too. It's a sign he's sucking well. He may get blisters on top of blisters, but they will go away, and they've never seemed to bother any baby I have seen. Also, the dark line (linea negra) varies from woman to woman. I had my baby a little earlier than Lori, and the line is definitely still there. It has faded some, but I think it will be visible for several more months at this rate. I think my sister's may have taken a year or so to fade completely. As for clothing, what you have on him sounds comfortable, but if he is wrapped up tightly in blankets, too, it might be too much in your warm weather. Remember that Tristan's hands and feet should feel cooler than his torso - the blood circulation to the extremities isn't functioning that well yet. As long as his body feels warm, he should be okay. Over-heating is dangerous, but I agree that he would probably fuss if he really got too hot. It sounds like everything is perfectly normal!

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

Rachels
03-09-2003, 04:28 PM
Yep, my line is just now fully fading. It lightens up, though. Generally, the rule of thumb (loosely applied, of course) is to dress your baby in one more layer than you'd feel comfortable wearing. Certainly keep those tiny feet warm!

For the peeling, just keep slathering him with mild lotion or apricot oil to keep him comfortable. He'll stop shedding before too long.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02