PDA

View Full Version : Reading to baby?

juliasdad
03-10-2003, 02:39 PM
We just got the word from BabyCenter.com in our monthly baby update. "Your 6-month-old" tells us that we should start reading to Julia, because she's now at the age where she'll start enjoying sitting down and being read to.

Well, we've been doing it since birth, and she's always enjoyed it. Over the past few weeks, she's gone from enjoying it to utterly not tolerating it! During the day, if we read to her, she gets fussy and wants to play with the book herself rather than be read to. Same thing pre-bedtime, except then she gets really cranky and angry and begins to cry!

As is so often the case, all we want to know is that we're not alone...

-dan

egoldber
03-10-2003, 03:01 PM
I tried reading to Sarah periodically from birth. She NEVER enjoyed it until she was about 11 months. Since then it is one of her FAVORITE things. I would keep trying, but not push it. You don't want reading to be something you "make" her do. She will come round eventually.

HTH,

Rachels
03-10-2003, 03:08 PM
I agree with Beth. Abby just now loves being read to. At ths, she was totally bored. I wouldn't worry. FWIW, the books she loves most are the ones with something to do: pop-up books, touch & feel books, etc.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

caroliner
03-10-2003, 04:08 PM
I cannot wait to read to Caroline, but whenever I try it she just wants to eat the books and gets really upset if I take it away to read it, so we will just wait it out. She is 8 1/2 months now, and it is just not time yet.

twins r fun
03-10-2003, 04:53 PM
16 months and still no interest in reading books here...sigh. They seem to like sitting and looking at them by themselves, but not with me. The teacher in me is crying!

Nicole