PDA

View Full Version : Depression update...

parkersmama
03-11-2003, 11:18 AM
I saw my psychologist this morning to talk about my despression. It was very helpful just to talk to someone who knows all my history. He said that although I will need to watch for signs of PPD, I need to be careful not to set myself up for it by assuming that I will have it (certainly a tendancy of mine...setting myself up!). We examined my feelings about being pregnant, having a 3rd child, the baby being a girl, etc. and also about how it all relates to my past (the PTSD). Although I don't feel "cured" I do feel a lot better that I'm being proactive. We didn't even talk about medication which makes me feel that he thinks I can handle this through therapy and I feel pretty good about that. I will see him again in about 2 weeks and hopefully be able to cope in the meantime. I'm going to work on not feeling so guilty about feeling down (the guilt definitely makes the depression feel worse) and letting it out when I need to (repressing my feelings goes right along with the PTSD).

I really appreciate so much all of you being there to listen. It does help knowing that other people have been through this, too. I want to be able to enjoy this final part of my last pregnancy so I'm going to try to concentrate on the positive as much as I can and continue the therapy to deal with the negative side. Thanks again, everyone!

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003

deenass
03-11-2003, 11:44 AM
SO glad to hear that you went to talk to someone and that someone was helpful. I think too often, we undersestimate the power of being listened to but someone who knows how to listen and help us to talk through the ideas racing through our heads. It's great that they think you can get through this without meds as well!

MartiesMom2B
03-11-2003, 11:59 AM
Denise:

I'm so glad that you went and talked to someone. I'm sure the therapy will help.

Good luck with everything!

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

atlbaby
03-11-2003, 03:50 PM
Hi Denise,

I'm so glad you went to see your psychologist and are feeling more postive! It's great that he thinks you can handle the depression without meds too. Just take it one step at a time and focus on enjoying the last few months of your pregnancy!

If you ever want to talk--even if it's to say how great you are feeling!:) --please feel free to email me.

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
#2:) EDD 10/24/03

Annette_C
03-11-2003, 08:22 PM
Denise,
You sound so much better today! I'm so glad! Obviously, seeing your therapist worked. Keep seeing him as long as you need him!
You've actually inspired me to make an appointment with my old therapist (the one that I did EMDR with) even though it's quite a ride for me (I moved since I saw her last).
I'm thinking of you and I'm here if you need me.
Good luck,
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

parkersmama
03-12-2003, 12:22 PM
Good for you, Annette! Don't put it off like I did! It's probably worth the drive since finding someone you can connect with can be so hard. Keep me posted and feel free to email if you want: [email protected]

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003