PDA

View Full Version : What have you purchased/discovered b/c of this board???

Andrea S
03-11-2003, 02:46 PM
I was thinking of all the great advise and product discoveries I have made because of everyone from this board and was wondering what other people have bought after reading about it here.

Here is my list

-fleece sheets--love these they are so soft
-baby al cart-- waiting for it to come
-baby shoos
-Zuntano cloths
-Janie and Jack (Dh wishes I did not discover this one)
-Britax RA
-Sandra Boynton books
-CD's I have a list complied to use when I go shopping
-I am sure there will be a stroller in the near future

That is all I can think of right now I am sure there is more.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

gour0
03-11-2003, 03:19 PM
But, I'll try to narrow it down.

Hmmm...
Ultimate crib sheet
Baby Shoos
Symphony in Motion mobile
kangaroo korner fleece pouch
healthy back baby bag
my brest friend

those are the big ones.
:)

August Mom
03-11-2003, 03:25 PM
I agree, Andrea. I have learned so much here.

My list is:

*Baby ala Cart (waiting on this) -- also learned about Floppy Seat, Buggy Bagg and Clean Shopper here
*KK fleece sling (I can't wait for this to arrive :)) -- also learned about Cozy Baby Sling here
*Robeez, Baby Shoos, Bobux (still thinking about these)
*Karen Katz books
*Various CDs
*Take and Toss Sippy Cups
*Making your own toys by filling bottles with water, etc.
*I've also learned about lots of high-end strollers but I haven't taken the plunge to buy any of those...yet :)

memedee
03-11-2003, 05:26 PM
SoSo much
Healthy Back Baby Bag
Hanna Andersson clothes
Gina Ford
Baby a la cart
Fisher Price Swing
strollers,strollers strollers
Eurotub
Ultrasaucer
Lots of great babies and their moms #1 ranking
Good place to ask a stupid question No one laughs at least not in print.
Different perspectives on everything
Thanks a bunch!:D

mama2be
03-11-2003, 05:49 PM
Most importantly I have gained amazing friendships!!!!

But what have I purchased!!!!...tons.....:)

* Several months ago someone asked what are the best wipes and many people said "Costco/KIrklands" brand at 12.99 for 6 packs with about 96 wipes each in them.

* About the same time formula was addressed and so many people liked "Costco/Kirklands" brand that I am using that at about 14.99 a can.

* My Amby Hammock...my greatest purchase
* Kangaroo Korner fleece pouch...Tristan lo loves this
* One Step Ahead over the shoulder diaper bag...DH even looks sexy carrying it :)
* DR Brown's bottles (wide mouth)...no complaints perfect for us
* Target brand diapers "loving touch" after a lot of endorsements
* Cloth Diapers once I have run out
* Symhony in Motion mobile
* Marathon Britax Car seat...I use the Eddie Bauer cushions in it and he looks snug as a bug in a rug
* Witch Hazel for post partum "mommy care"
* Cotton top pads for post partum "mommy care"
* Bertini Sport Stroller (though I had already fallen in love with it and knew I was getting it, but did discuss it here and convinced myself to get it.

* A book that I have really enjoyed based on Beth's recommendation: Trees Make the Best Mobiles...which has taught me to give my little guy some time of his own to look around and just lay there and take things in. Though I want to hold him non stop I really aprreciated this advice and look on things.
* Gina Ford's book "The content baby"

What I still want and will be purchasing
* Bugaboo or MB
* The shopping cart cover to prevent germs

What I drool over but will probably not beable to convince DH to let me get until I go back to work...
* The gorgeous Asian silk carrier that Tammy has
* The gorgeous Asian diaper bag that JMarie has
* The Bugaboo might fall under this catagory too

flagger
03-11-2003, 05:57 PM
Of course she is not here yet, but so far:

Primary colour sheets from Carousel Designs
Graco Snugride from Ebay
Ultimate Crib Sheet
My Brest Friend
Fp Aquarium swing

Neither one of our vehicles have Latch, so we really like the Cosco Alpha/Omega Triumph car seat for the price. We are just not sold on the Britax (don't hate me)

What we saved on major purchases by reading the BBB, we invested in hand-built furniture. Can't wait to get it stained and in the nursery so we can show it off. (Pray for good weather this weekend!!!)

sntm
03-11-2003, 06:51 PM
Still waiting on Jack to test everything out, but:

cloth diapering (probably never would have otherwise)
Dr. Brown's wide mouth bottles
Sassy mobile
Bugaboo (still to purchase!)
gerber's storage bags for breastmilk
Legacy crib
babyshoos (and d@#$ you all for that one!)
"Trees make the best mobiles" -- I like this, though it often directly contradicts my anal-retentive, super-achieving tendencies
Baby Einstein videos
Veggie Tales videos (thanks, mom)

plus several clothing and baby hygiene products I knew of and might have tried anyway but y'all made me feel much better about investing in.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

JMarie
03-11-2003, 08:08 PM
Well, let's see... I have so much for Aidan that I can attribute to these boards and people I've met here. Here's the short list:

Graco SnugRide infant seat
Baby Bjorn carrier - Aidan LOVES it and I'm carrying him now!
Legacy crib
Avent bottles
Eurotub with added foam bear for comfort
Old Navy & Gap maternity clothes
Carter's hooded towels and washclothes
Tiny Love Gymini
Homemade flannel receiving blankets - bigger than store-bought!
Petunia Picklebottom diaper bag (the 'gorgeous Asian' bag)

Most of all, I am so thankful for all the wonderful people I've met and their words of encouragement and advice. It's so great to have such unconditional support from friends we've never met...

JMarie
Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03

egoldber
03-11-2003, 09:04 PM
Hmmm:

Chicco 2002 stroller
Britax RA
Motherease cloth diapers
Dan Zanes CDs and Songs for Wiggleworms CDs
Robeez

And probably more!

todzwife
03-11-2003, 09:32 PM
Fisher-Price SIV that I snatched from Big Lots after reading about it here! Oh! And I will be cloth diapering, which I NEVER thought of doing before I met you crazy CDing mommies!
Shandelle :)
*New* EDD: 10/25/03

atlbaby
03-11-2003, 09:55 PM
Great thread!

I am sure there are plenty more, but right now I can think of:

-Britax RA
-LOTS of books for Arielle!
-MBUD--well, I haven't purchased it yet...but whatever I choose will be due to the wonderful stroller board here!
--teething remedies! (they are on the brain right now:) )
--The Wiggles! Just bought my first, and we all love it!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
#2:) EDD 10/24/03

brubeck
03-11-2003, 10:28 PM
I discovered that BRU can make mistakes when processing online coupons. :-)

Most importantly I have discovered that my stupid worries and problems (past, present and probably future) are the same issues that everyone else has and that makes me feel better about myself and my children.

Roleysmom
03-11-2003, 10:32 PM
What a great question!

-- Vaude Swing backpack (which didn't work and I sent back; I'm short and it didn't sit right, but it seems like a nice carrier)

-- the ERGO baby carrier (just ordered it yesterday, hoping it will replace the returned Vaude)

-- Baby Shoos

-- Philadelphia Chickens by Sandra Boynton

-- Peg Aria (and the idea that it's okay not to like my first stroller and that people have more (sometimes many more!) than one stroller -- I honestly didn't know that!)

Thing I am coveting --

-- the baby ala cart (or buggy bagg or floppy seat)

Thanks everyone for the good advice!

Paula
-- mom to Roley Julia 1/04/03

zen_bliss
03-11-2003, 11:06 PM
my college roommate sent me the book as a congrats gift when i found out i was pregnant. she had twins and considered it essential. i was not a babyphile before, and it has been a STEEP learning curve (on the other hand, ask me anything about dogs or puppies...) to say it became a bible, and that these BBs became an addiction is an understatement! DD (or as DH calls her, the Little Doggie Child) is not here yet, but i feel *well* prepared and thrifty as a result of these boards!

an important piece of info was -- there are great things outside of Babies R Us (which i confess to kind of loathing)!

i do have a strange knack for the obscure and discontinued.

• ChildDesigns 'garage sale' Scottsdale crib ($100 delivered! crib was becoming a source of stress. THANK YOU for that tip!)
• FP Stay In View (strap is perfect for DH, a bike messenger)
• Britax RA (ok, i saw the leopard one in a Trader Joe's parking lot and was instantly smitten, then the boards convinced me -- thank you rightstart sale!)
• Combi Ultra Savvy 2001 (10lb) version in leopard
• Inglesina Planet (that was quite a bit of searching! general thanks to StrollerQueen's saga of the good the bad and the wobbly)
• FP Peaceful Planet crib aquarium
• Healthy Back Bag in flaming Red (THANK YOU for that 20% Sierra Tradingpost discount!)
• Motherease diapers & homemade wipes (general CDing support!)
• My Brest Friend
• Symphony In Motion Deluxe
• Dr Brown's widemouth bottles

still to get:
• Kangaroo Korner sling
• Happy Tushies accessories (splurge!)
• Fuzzibunz
• Joey Bunz Hemparoos
• Ultimate Crib Sheet
• Whittlestone pump

maybe someday...
• mountain buggy or bugaboo

cchavez
03-11-2003, 11:26 PM
too many to mention....but here are a few:

My best friend
ultimate crib sheet
Nicole Miller diaper bag (messenger style)
LE little tripper
Regazzi crib
Symphony in Motion mobile
Zooper Z-street stroller
and the list could go on and on!!!

Thanks!

Momof3Labs
03-11-2003, 11:56 PM
Oh, man, where to start...

Fisher Price Stay In View (for $30)
Chicco 2002 (for $45)
Maclaren Vogue - that I want to sell (oh, well)
Peg Perego Aria (for $50)
Britax Marathon
Robeez (for $13/pair)
Cloth diapers
Hip hammock
Old Navy triple roll socks
A great price on my Medela Pump in style
Motherwear nursing clothes
Double coupons at BRU
Martha Stewart Moses basket (on sale for $55)
Sandra Boynton books
Kenny Loggins Return to Pooh Corner CD
Other baby CDs that we haven't played yet
Baby Einstein
Carter's outlets

I'm sure that there is so much more...

stillplayswithbarbies
03-12-2003, 12:02 AM
Too many things to remember! I can't even count how many times I clicked on a link from a post here and took out the credit card :)

Trees Make the Best Mobiles book
fleecebaby sheets
Britax Roundabout (from Right Start after reading about the sale here)
Eurobaby tub
the stroller you snap your infant car seat on
FP Stay In View
Healthy Back Pack diaper bag, which is still on backorder
The belly cast kit that Neve posted about (hope to do that this weekend, better hurry before it is too late!)

I know there are other things, but that is all I can think of now. I have asked many questions here as I stressed over each major thing I needed to buy, and got such great information! Tomorrow is breast pump day, going through all the links I bookmarked, making a final decision and finding the lowest price, and then I am all done.

...Karen
Mom to Jake age 12 and expecting Logan Elizabeth or Garrett Logan, EDD March 21

stillplayswithbarbies
03-12-2003, 12:03 AM
I just remembered two more things!

Zutano outfits
Janie and Jack, from the clearance sale

...Karen

mharling
03-12-2003, 12:55 AM
FP SIV Carseat (tobymc)
Avent bottles (many)
Flat mattress pads (ecarley)
Janie and Jack (Sandy)
Specific bathing supplies and medicine cabinet items (many)
Nojo PNP sheets (Momof3Labs)

and more to come, including:

Elita and Bravado nursing bras (Rachels)
Babyshoos (Sandy)
Dr Brown's bottles (many)
Britax Marathon (many)
My dream stroller; TBD!!!

Mary
EDD 4/5/03

*Edited because my EDD is NOT 4/5/30. YIKES!

gravymommy3
03-12-2003, 12:57 AM
Here is mine:

MBUD (and a lot of accessories to go with it)
Britax Husky (x2)
Britax Marathon
Hip Hammock
KK Fleece pouch

My wallet is saying "Ouch" right about now!

ddmarsh
03-12-2003, 07:31 AM
I must have missed a couple of things along the way:

1. Why do the Dr. Brown's wide mouth seem to be preferred?
2. What is the Baby ala Cart (I'm assuming something for grocery store carts?).

BTW, this discussion of gear reminds me that to any fans of the Shopaholic series of novels there is a new one out where she is getting married and it made me laugh to think that next there will be one where she is buying baby gear!

Thanks-
Debbie

MartiesMom2B
03-12-2003, 07:18 PM
I purchased the BB book because the Wedding Bargains book was my bible (and I saved a ton of money on my wedding), so when I learned that I was preggers, I snatched this up from the book store.

Thank God I went on this message board! I love the friends that I made and the advice is the biggest gift that I can receive. I'm so glad that I have you to talk to who have been in the same boat. DH loves that I'm on these boards since I'm so well informed.

There are probably more items that I have not purchased from these boards than have purchased. But my purchases include:

-Sorelle Crib (too bad I didn't see the problems about USA Baby but thanks to Neve and Lisa (Nigele) I got it straightened out and I'm completely happy
-Combi Perfect Match Stroller (thank you so much about the advice against travel systems)
-Graco Snug ride
-Elita Nursing bra
-Ultimate crib sheet
-Sheet savers

I'll probably get a Britax RA too, but I'll wait for that purchase.

There's probably more too. Thank you! thank you! thank you!

Sonia (queen of exclamation points)
EDD 4/14/03

anna lisa
03-12-2003, 08:47 PM
I just finished reading "Shopaholic Ties the Knot" last night!!! It was hysterical!!!

I can't wait for her to have a baby!! It's going to be the best book yet!

mama2be
03-12-2003, 09:28 PM
interesting that I am drawn to the one item that says "splurge" beside it...:)...

mama2be
03-12-2003, 09:32 PM
GREAT NAMES!!!!

mama2be
03-12-2003, 09:37 PM
Debbie, You asked why we are all buying the Wide mouthed DR Browns vs the regular. I can say based on what I have read here it appears more people endorsed the wide mouth ones, BUT have seen endorsements for the others. But that is why I chose the wide mouth, and thus far having no problems at all with them.

You are correct that the a la cart, etc... are for shopping carts and I think restaurant high chairs too...

Dcclerk
03-12-2003, 10:23 PM
I'm still pregnant (due June 4) and have a ton left to buy but the things that I have already bought because of this board or are on my registry and I will buy them if someone else doesn't are...

-- Britax RA (bought 2-- for both DH and I-- at Rightstart.com b/c the sale was mentioned here)
-- Zippy Inglesina (never would have known about it...but it competes in my mind for the more desireable but pricier Bugaboo that I also learned about here)
-- Whittlestone Pump (everyone I know has the PIS, but I think I will like using this pump so much more)
-- Graco Snug N Ride
-- Eurotub
-- Dr. Brown's bottles
-- Seconds at Pro-wrap (what a deal!!)
-- Janie & Jack (DH is not excited about this, however :) )
-- Colgate mattress
-- Prima Pappa high chair

Wow... thanks so much to everyone. I really am thankful for this board. Although I don't post a lot, I really appreciate everything that people are willing to contribute! (Hopefully, when I have more experience, I'll be able to post more, too.)

lesliepear
03-13-2003, 12:17 AM
The Bundle Me. It has worked out very well for Alan this winter in his car seat.

danielleh
03-13-2003, 08:35 AM
I have found lots of great advice on these boards.
Here are the things I can think of now:

-Rumble Tuff changing pad to use a regular piece of furniture as a changing table
-Dutalier gliders from Goodnight Ben
-Insert for shopping carts and high chairs
-Britax Marathon
-Inglesina Swift (haven't actually bought it yet, but plan to)

Danielle
mom to Jimmy born 8/29/02

mama2be
03-13-2003, 10:12 AM
...I just made a long distance phone call and it triggered that I have saved...or gone from $100 a month long distance to no more than $20 this past month (keep in mind I've been on the phone even more I think having a new baby to talk about). Months back someone mentioned a service call ONESUITE.COM I was upset with our service and told DH I wanted to switch. Unfortunatly this person who mentioned is was a spammer and asked for their name to be mentioned as a referral if anyone switched and thus I think folks didn't try it. I too held onto the info for a good 6 months before insisting DH try it. About a month ago we set it up canceled MCI and now we have to dial a 1-800 number before we place a long distance phone call. You do have to give them a "credit" and you use from that. We are doing like small increments of $10 at a time. I was afraid of sharing my credit card number and then it donned on me it is safer to give that number than to even use a check in this day and age...because credit cards are not coming from your account and can be disputed without tying up your funds. With this service you can place calls from anywhere dialing the same numbers (plus a pin) for the same rate. I think the rate is 3.9 cents a minute (maybe 2.9) I just tried to call DH to find out which...

WE have been thrilled...anyway I'm obviously not a spammer...and not asking for anyone to use my name as a referral...just wnated to share money saving ideas that I learned from these boards. DH also checked with the better business bureau and said that any complaints that were made were taken care of so they were cleared!!!

Don't quote me on this but I think you don't have any monthly fee and I think you don't get taxed on it. So the money I spent on those two things alone is my whole new long distance bill...

ddmarsh
03-13-2003, 11:28 AM
I have been using onesuite for a year and have been just amazed at how fabulous they are. The rate is 2.9 and actually they now have local access numbers that you can use instead of the 800 one and if you use the local numbers it drops to 2.5 cents. And yes there are NO monthly fees, NO per call fee, etc. I can't even begin to imagine how much money we have saved since all of our families are long distance. I have gotten family members to sign on as well and periodically one of them will say they can't believe how cheap it is (there aren't any referral things that I know of, I just got them to sign up b/c it's so cheap!). The only problem I've noticed is that once in a while - a great while - you call and the 800 number is busy but I just try back. I figure with the money I've saved an occasional inconvenience is ok.

Oh I forgot to add - one other benefit is that you pay in advance, you buy blocks of $10, 20, 30 or 50 so you don't ever receive a bill.

Debbie
(honestly I don't work for them or anything!)

KathyO
03-13-2003, 02:27 PM
With me it'd be:

Britax Roundabout
Mountain Buggy Urban

I'd never heard of either one where I live, and I've never seen another of either one since I got mine!

KathyO

jubilee
03-13-2003, 08:47 PM
I have purchased many items because of the Baby Bargains book, but in addition to those items...because of recommendations on the board I have specifically purchased:
Infant Eurobath, Kangaroo Korner padded sling, Symphony in Motion mobile, Gerber sippy cups, Lanshosh nursing pads, and Medela nursing bras
But, what I think is most important is what I HAVEN'T bought! You all have steered me away from wastes of money. Thanks for that!

stillplayswithbarbies
03-13-2003, 09:37 PM
Thanks :) But we keep going back and forth on the boy name. I really like Logan for a boy or a girl, but it is so popular now for boys, so I feel like we should use something else. But this baby just ~feels~ like a Logan. :) Once we see the baby, we will know the right name.

...Karen

jojo2324
03-13-2003, 10:15 PM
A little late to the mix (crawling babies will do that to ya!), but here goes...

From the book:

-FP Safe Embrace (got two off Ebay for a great price)
-Combi Convenience stroller
-Carter's clothing
-Baby Italia crib

From here:

-Symphony-in-Motion mobile
-Hip Hammock
-Baby Trekker
-Baby Einstein DVDs
-Boynton books
-Babyshoos! :D
-Combi Urban Sling
-Aquaphor
-Weleda Diaper Cream (getting it tomorrow!)
-Eurobath
-Halo Sleep Sacks
-general stroller lust :D

To add later on...

-Mountain Buggy Urban (single or double, depending ;))
-Graco SnugRide

I'm sure a bazillion more things, just forgetting them now...

zen_bliss
03-13-2003, 10:24 PM
Debbie --
re: the Dr. Brown's widemouth...
the widemouth version is recommended for breastfeeders, so that's why i bought them over the regular bottles. babysurplus.com has them at a good price (about $5). i had trouble finding them in person.

Neve --
www.happytushies.com has the most adorable fabrics! she makes custom wipes kits and changing pads and dirty dipes bags and PUL pail liners... only a dollar or so more than the plain bummis bags! she is super nice and fast to respond to emails. i can't wait to get my order...

bnme
03-14-2003, 11:15 AM
I have acted upon too many product reccomendations from the boards and the books to list or remember, but the one thing that I had never heard of before that I use and love is the Bundle Me. Makes life soo much easier. Also the yet-to-purchase KK Fleece pouch.

I have discovered, via tips from all the experienced moms, the ease of using powdered formula. I would have never considered it until reading about it here (everyone I know uses RTF) and it is a great $$ saver and convenience! Also BF tips. Thanks everyone!!!!

MartiesMom2B
03-14-2003, 11:21 AM
Hooray Julie:

We have the same due date (unless I'm still sleepy and I missread).

I second the not buying items due to this website. It's been even more valuable to me!

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

Karenn
03-14-2003, 12:22 PM
Here's my list. I know there must be more, because most of the stuff here I only purchased in the last few months! I agree, it's more about what I didn't buy because of good advice than what I did!

Pliko
Robeez
Aquaphor
Ultrasaucer
Halo Sleep Sack
Baby Einstein at Costco

mamahill
03-14-2003, 05:43 PM
I'd have to agree and say EVERYTHING!

From the book:

*plain pine dresser that DH finished in a cherry stain and it looks GORGEOUS. With a changing pad on top it's our changing station.
*LE Little Tripper
*LE Bedding
*Combi Convenience
*Graco Snugride
*Diaper Genie
*Avent Bottles
*Boppy
(the list goes on, and I suppose most of these I could have figured out, but it was nice to have a checklist of sorts)

From all of you:
*Bertini M5 (LOVE LOVE LOVE it!)
*Cloth Diapers
*FuzziBunz (LOVE them too!)
*Roundabout
*ChiccoMamma
*Food grinder
*Baby Einstein DVDs
*Robeez
*BabyShoos
*Some of the best friendships and support I could ever imagine.

I'm sure there are more, but those are what come to mind at the moment. I love these boards (the last week w/out Internet access has been cruel and unusual torture)!