PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Baby 411 Cover. See this page for description:

alandenisefields
03-12-2003, 11:30 PM

bguarineri
03-13-2003, 11:10 AM
While I love the laundry detergent Tide, I'm not crazy about the design on their box. It looks like you've copied it exactly.

gigi927
03-13-2003, 11:17 AM
Agree with the other post - looks like a box of Tide and would not appeal to me to buy. I would rather see a pic of a frantic mom and a cute baby in her arms dialing a big red phone or something like that. I don't think the colors do anything to reinforce the name of the book!

Good luck!

celfsh
03-13-2003, 11:21 AM
Maybe it's all the laundry I'm doing, but I agree--the cover IMHO is distinctly Tide-like. Still a big Fields fan, though!

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02

ddmarsh
03-13-2003, 11:29 AM
I agree it looks almost identical to Tide and my first thought was that I didn't get the connection between Tide and the book's content.

Debbie

spu
03-13-2003, 11:43 AM
I agree - the Tide parody isn't the best one to meet the brand of the Fields. I see your Brand as one that's concise, warm, honest, and easy to digest. More of a 'friend' rather than a'detergent.'

The Tide analogy seems more of a 'fix' - making me think that the book will show me how to fix things or clean up shop (in baby terms) rather than be a book filled with useful, practical, and honest info.

The book idea is a great one. I wish it were out 7 months ago! Are you considering one for toddlers? If so, consdier a cover that will have more adaptation to a toddler edition too.

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else

abbyjanssen
03-13-2003, 11:43 AM
It looks like a box of Tide! yuck.

nigele
03-13-2003, 11:57 AM
Sorry but I, too, thought of Tide when I saw it. I am sure it is a good book but I hate the orange background. I know you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover but I might have passed over this one in the book store if I wasn't familiar with the Fields!

trumansmom
03-13-2003, 11:58 AM
Yup. Looks like Tide. Not particularly appealing.

That being said, I would probably still buy it. However, if I weren't familiar with the Fields' books, I doubt I would even look twice at it.

Sorry!

jojo2324
03-13-2003, 12:13 PM
Good to know I am not the only one! I thought immediately of a box of Tide when I first saw it. But in all honesty, I would probably buy it. I like the image of the little kid; I think it's cute. And if the shape was the same as the other books that would appeal to me too.

Edited to add...I also don't really care for the word big flashy "NEW." It takes away from the idea that this is supposed to be a children's health/well-being book, and makes it more of a product. I mean, I know it is a product, but it just seems impersonal.

Shirale
03-13-2003, 12:15 PM
I agree with Joanne,
while I don't love the cover (why Tide?) if it is the same style, quality and level of information as your other bookd, I would buy it (based on reputation) but if you can change the colors it might go over better for those who are not already die-hard fans!

bunnisa
03-13-2003, 12:37 PM
personally, I think a mom in need of advice in a hurry won't be soothed by this cover... it makes me feel more frantic. Also, I think the "Tide" look is kind of trendy, which makes me think "dated".

I think you could do something quirky and smart and not have it "yell".

glad to hear about the new book! best wishes!

Bethany

Tiare
03-13-2003, 01:00 PM
My initial reaction, as others, was, "laundry detergent" and a bit gimmicky looking - like a book with this cover grabs your attention with the cover, but it would not have substance inside...

However, I read the description of what the book will entail on your email, and wish it were coming out sooner (my due date is in 4 weeks) as the topics are right on the money for a new parent! Can I get an early copy? :-)

jnr1016
03-13-2003, 01:02 PM
I totally thought this was a Tide copy, even before I see everyone else say the same. As a fine arts major, I know that color speaks to people subconsciously. Orange is not a good color for this book and does not make me want to buy it. I've always liked the bright, neon you've had in the past. This orange is very heavy and oppressive and makes me feel like I have more work to do when reading it instead of the quick reference feel I always had before. Please reconsider the colors!

mharling
03-13-2003, 01:04 PM
I agree with everything that has been said so far. Changing the colors and using the existing design would make a big difference. I also agree of using the same shape as the existing books.

I would also buy this book based on being familiar with the Fields, but obviously that can't be counted on for everybody.

Mary
EDD 4/5/03

Riley717
03-13-2003, 01:52 PM
Sorry...just don't like it at all. It would actually scare me away if I saw it on the bookshelf.

However, I hope that you can hurry and decide on a cover to get the book to the presses.

My 1st born is 4 months old today and I would love to have a book like this, would have been especially helpful for the 1st month of so. When I never thought that I would sleep again.

Stephanie

juliasdad
03-13-2003, 02:25 PM
Retro can be good (see, for example, http://www.lileks.com/institute/index.html, e.g. the Gallery of Regrettable Food. Hilarious *and* good design sensibilities).

This is Not good.

Not only would this cover design do a terrible disservice to the book, I wish there were also a poll for the title so that I could vote against that as well. There's something about the way in which those 4 simple letters and 3 numerals (really, 3 and 2!) combine to form something that seems awkward, busy and meaningless at once.

My 2c...

-dan

cara1
03-13-2003, 02:36 PM
Yep, I have to agree. Too loud. Nothing at all soothing about it. You don't have to have a Mom sitting on a rocker with her baby like in "What to expect...", but it shouldn't look like a loud joke book or something either.

girlesq
03-13-2003, 02:41 PM
Was the intent to make the book look like a box of detergent?? My first thought (like almost everyone else) was that it looked exactly like a box of Tide. Please, please, please change the cover!!!

JElaineB
03-13-2003, 04:02 PM
I have to say I agree with everyone else. When I saw the cover I thought, "why are they trying to make it look like Tide?" I don't particularly care for the name of the book either. The content sounds great and I would buy for myself or gifts based on knowing the Fields from Bridal Bargains and Baby Bargains, but if I wasn't already familiar with the Fields I would think the book was just a gimmick.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

atlbaby
03-13-2003, 04:21 PM
I think it is way too loud and jokey looking as well. I think you're books are wonderful, and would probably get it anyway regardless of the noisy cover, but I do hope you change the design for those who are not already die-hard fans!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
#2:) EDD 10/24/03

mama2be
03-13-2003, 06:09 PM
I can just see it...maybe even done in the black and white "pixel" look of dots (like a magnified newspaper) and then the big red phone...I see it!!! :):):)

alkagift
03-13-2003, 06:42 PM
I agree. I would mention too, that unless someone had given me Baby Bargains as a gift, I wouldn't have even known it was out there, and I was a huge Bridal Bargains fan 7 years ago. I'm not excited about the title, either, as some have mentioned--it doesn't make me want to pick it up, but knowing the Fields, I probably would. I know that "411" is now a slang term meaning "information," but I'm 35 and that term seems to be used by people younger than me (and hipper?)...maybe I'm wrong about that and I'm just living in the dark ages!

Allison
Expecting #1 5/27/03

alandenisefields
03-13-2003, 07:33 PM
Okay, we hear everyone! We will go back to the drawing board and come up with a different concept. It was our idea to have a fun/playful cover, but we hear those who say it doesn't well match the content. We do appreciate all the feedback---even those who hated it! It helps us create better books.

--
Alan & Denise Fields, authors
BABY BARGAINS * TODDLER BARGAINS * BRIDAL BARGAINS * CYBERBRIDE * YOUR NEW HOUSE
Web: www.windsorpeak.com.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 303-442-8792
Address: Windsor Peak Press, 436 Pine Street, Boulder, CO 80302

--
The readers speak! Check out our new message boards for our books at:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

--
Have you seen our new book, TODDLER BARGAINS? It's brand new! For details, click here: http://www.toddlerbargains.com

JulieL
03-14-2003, 08:40 PM
It looks like a box of Tide. Are you trying to be retro??? It's not working. How about something cutsie? Woman like cutsie or sophisticated.

-JulieL

anna lisa
03-14-2003, 11:31 PM
Not only does the "Tide" reference make no sense to me, it's also too busy of a design.

How about something similiar to the baby bargain/toddler bargain books in format but with a mom on a phone with a baby in her hand. Trying to contact "Baby 411".

Just my 2 cents.