PDA

View Full Version : A little scare: baby's heartrate was low and I was having contractions

jubilee
03-13-2003, 01:25 AM
I didn't think it was a big deal when I had a few contractions today, I've had Braxton-Hicks contractions for weeks. I did have a few contractions that got my attention though. I went to my regular OB appointment this afternoon. He listened to the heartbeat as usual, but it was only about 100 beats per minute, rather than the 140-160 that the baby usually has! I then told him that I'd had a few contractions today. He immediately sent me to the hospital for a non-stress test. (What a silly name... it made me completely stressed!) I spent quiet a while there, they even gave me a room, while I was hooked up to the monitors. It wound up okay, the baby's heartbeat went up fine and of course I am home now. But the monitors did pick up that I was having contractions every 5-10 minutes...however I didn't feel them at all!! It really rattled me. I guess my baby heard about the other babys that might make their debut today and wanted to get into the action! :)

sweetbasil
03-13-2003, 01:32 AM
Julie,
So glad you two are okay...I'm with ya on the non-stress test- where'd *that* misnomer originate? ha. Anyway, hope things are calming down for you and that the next few weeks are as comfortable and uneventful as possible, with a very quicky, happy delivery...when the time comes! :)

Rachels
03-13-2003, 10:09 AM
Glad you're home and okay! Try to rest and take it easy. I had LOTS of contractions my last few weeks of pregnancy. If your baby's heartrate dips again, change positions! Often turning on your left side or on your hands and knees will help bring the heartrate back up.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

jojo2324
03-13-2003, 10:30 AM
Wow, that is so scary! I'm glad that everyone is home, safe and sound. Let us know how it goes, and definitely take it easy! You need to reserve your energy for the big day! (And for after...:D)

parkersmama
03-13-2003, 11:30 AM
Wow! Glad that everything turned out okay. I know what you mean about the non-stress test. I had one with Parker and I was on the verge of freaking out! :-) I've been having a lot more contractions, too. Even a few in my back which really had me scared! Once or twice I've thought there was a little regularity but then they go away. It's too early (even though I am getting a little tired of being pregnant!) so I'm not wanting them to start yet. Hang in there...your time will be coming soon, just not yet!

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003

atlbaby
03-13-2003, 11:40 AM
Glad to hear everything is alright now! That must have been frightening! Tell your baby not to rush because there will be new babies to debut with next month!:)

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
#2:) EDD 10/24/03