PDA

View Full Version : Blankets & Misc...

himom
03-14-2003, 03:56 AM
Does anybody else think it's funny that the same receiving blankets seem to get used at every hospital in the country? (White with those teal and pink stripes) I didn't notice until I gave birth to Josh and had to look at those blankets every day, then started seeing the same ones in all the other new baby pictures.

Jodi

PS I don't get to post often, but I read as much as I can, and I'm excited for all of you when you have triumphs and sending up prayers for those having problems. So even if you don't see a lot of posts, remember there are those of us still "semi-lurking" that are there sharing joys and sorrows!
Mommy to Joshua Keoni, 2/8/03

egoldber
03-14-2003, 11:02 AM
Ohh! I LOVED those blankets. They were nice and big for swaddling!

bnme
03-14-2003, 11:09 AM
Mee too, I was sorry I didn't "borrow" one!
:)

egoldber
03-14-2003, 11:16 AM
LOL! Me too!

atlbaby
03-14-2003, 01:15 PM
The nurses at the hospital insisted I "borrow" them! They told me to take all the other supplies in the drawers in the bassinet she was in (burp cloths, cotton balls, ointment for her belly button, etc). I thought that was so nice! But those hospital swaddling blankets are *great*!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
#2:) EDD 10/24/03

jojo2324
03-14-2003, 01:29 PM
Hee hee...I "borrowed" about 6 of 'em! :P Plus the shirts, the diapers, wipes...

mamahill
03-14-2003, 05:48 PM
Haha, blankets were the only things we DIDN'T take. I knew I had about 12 huge receiving blankets at home, but wipes, pads, diapers (must have taken about 30!), ointment, pads for mom (the ones that were under you in the bed - make GREAT take and toss diaper changing pads!), t-shirts, hats, etc. But our childbirth instructor, who was FROM the hospital, said that it was our right to take as much as we wanted. DH had to ask for another bag to fit it all. But hey, the amount we funnel into insurance made us not feel once bit guilty!

egoldber
03-14-2003, 05:56 PM
At my hospital you could take anything EXCEPT linens!

Karen2
03-14-2003, 10:57 PM
Mine too! It was great to go home with those big-no-way-can-they-leak pads and panties -- I've never had fishnet panties before :P -- and baby's diapers, wipes, ointments, etc. We could basically collapse at home fully stocked for a week even if we were completely unprepared for delivery. (My mom said, a couple of days before I was going to the hospital for a scheduled induction, that since hospitals provide everything now I could wait until after the baby was born to buy diapers and clothes. I said MOM, I bought all of the essentials over a month ago!!!)

We couldn't take the linens though and I would have loved the hat and receiving blanket as a souvenir.

brubeck
03-14-2003, 11:06 PM
I don't think they have the same hats everywhere but the hospital I gave birth at (twice) had these hats which had horizontal stripes of pink, blue and white. They were made out of cheap material and stretched horribly. I found a new box in the nurses' area: they are disposable! Since the ones they gave me were too big for my son I snitched a few new (unstretched) ones and took them home with me. :-)

Oh and yes, we emptied that portable bassinet both times.

And speaking of the goodies, what kinds of diapers do your local hospitals use? Mine used Huggies, but because they were using the Ultratrim line they put SIZE 1 on my 7 pound baby (there is no size N in the Ultratrim). Ridiculous! I would love to see what they put on the 3 and 4 pound preemies!

August Mom
03-15-2003, 12:31 AM
We saw the same blankets at our hospital. Our hospital also had the "take everything but the linens" policy. We did get to keep 2 hats, though, the one put on DS when there was still blood on his head and the one on his head after he was cleaned up. They sound just like the disposable ones mentioned by brubeck. LOL Our hospital used Pampers Baby Dry, also size 1. They were so huge on DS and he was 7 lb. 6 oz.

egoldber
03-15-2003, 10:18 AM
We kept the two hats (the striped uni-sex one from after birth and the pink one they used after the bath). It never even occired to me not to!

And my hospital actually used Pampers Newborn, so they worked great!