PDA

View Full Version : one year photos

sarasprings
03-16-2003, 04:00 PM
I am considering taking my DS to a photographer for a sitting for his one year birthday. As we expected, it is very expensive. I love the quality of photos we'll be able to get, as does DS, but I don't know if I'm getting caught up in this whole photo thing.

What do most people do for their child's one year photos?

Sara
mom to Peter 5/4/02

egoldber
03-16-2003, 04:25 PM
A "real" photographer is very expensive. I took Sarah to The Picture People at one year. It was the first time we had been there, and I thought it was awful. We did get a couple of cute shots, but not great ones.

A month or so after that, my DH rented a whole photo set-up for a weekend (fancy lights, back ground, camera, etc.). We took some absolutely fabulous shots, because we could take our time, do the shots when she was in a good mood, dress her in different outfits, etc. But this will really only work if you are pretty camera savvy. We took digital, 35mm and medium format pictures. (Most professional photographers use medium format).

To save money, I would try someplace like The Picture People/Sears/Target, etc. But I would ask around for recommendations of a photographer at the place near you that works well with kids. Schedule an appointment for a time that is typically a good time of day and IF they run late, etc. and your DS is in a bad mood when it is his turn, be prepared to walk out and re-schedule (which is what I should have done).

HTH,

Momof3Labs
03-16-2003, 05:06 PM
We're not to a year yet, but if you have a Kiddie Kandids near you (there is one in our BRU), check into it. We had a great experience there, and I loved that there were no appointments necessary, no sitting fees and you could view the pictures immediately on the computer.

mamahill
03-16-2003, 11:10 PM
I just wanted to add that The Picture People is a division of Hallmark, and they make you sign a release allowing them the possible use of any pictures taken for their products. While this may seem flattering, it denies you any potential royalties, and could put your baby's pic in the hands of who knows what people. Just thought I'd throw that out there. My husband is a photographer, and while he thinks it's a smart move on their part to built up their stock, it's a cheap way, too. He told me to NEVER go there. Bummer too, since their prices are good, especially with those free offers we get in the mail...

LisaS
03-17-2003, 06:00 AM
I hired a professional photographer to come to our apartment and we then went to a park nearby and took tons of outdoor pictures when DD was 7 months old. I plan to do it again when she's 17/18 months old (I prefer outdoor to studio pictures - love the background and quality much more - we didn't do 1 yr pics as it was January and freezing) She spent nearly 3 hrs with us and took well over 200 different pictures - I had such a hard time choosing. It was expensive (about $400, including 4 8x10s and a few 4x6s, which were all hand-developed - I had to pay separately for additional copies) but the pictures were beyond amazing. The quality and color contrasts (we had some black and white and some color, some medium format, some 35mm). Everyone who comes to our home and sees the framed pictures of DD from this photo shoot ends up hiring her for their kids (the photographer only works in the NY/NJ/CT area and in London (splits her year). But there are lots of great photographers across the country.

My sister in law has done many sears pictures and also hired professional photographers to do outdoor pictures and the outdoor ones w/the professional are MUCH better - they spend more time with you. At sears or PP, its very quick - not as much time for "wardrobe changes" (I put my DD in 4 diff outfits) - and while you may get lucky and get good pictures, you also may not. I think your chances are much greater with a top professional photographer. ANd if you're not happy, most of them will redo a shoot for you.

ddmarsh
03-17-2003, 11:27 AM
The option of outdoor photos is one of the things I love best about using a photographer, I have some great photos of my boys outside. The other difference is the type of finish, I have ours finished in a way that is designed to be framed without glass and they have more of an artwork look to them which I really like. The cost is a great deal more than a chain but I think this is an area where you really get what you pay for. I recently had Lily's newborn photos done by our photographer and I think it was around $500 for 7 5x7's, an 8x10 and 16 wallets.

Ask around or try looking in your phonebook - ask if you can come in and see some of the photographer's work.

Good luck!
Debbie

sarasprings
03-18-2003, 11:01 AM
Thank you so much for attaching Evan's photos. They came out so nicely. I think the images I had in my head were of the photos of me taken at Sears 30 years ago.

Sara

sarasprings
03-18-2003, 11:08 AM
Thank you, everyone, for your advice. Yesterday I went to see a local photographer whose photographs were amazing. My DH was totally taken in by her photos, so, although expensive, we're going to do it.

Sara
mom to Peter 5/4/02

sntm
03-18-2003, 11:25 AM
One other option is look for someone who take photography classes or is an amateur. I know a respiratory therapist who takes pics in his spare time and they are gorgeous, very artistic. That was always my biggest problem with Sears, etc (although the pics of Evan were surprisingly good -- I'll have to rethink that.)

Another option is if you have a good camera, buy 10 rolls of film and just start shooting. In all those you will probably find a few pics you love that can be blown up. There are books for amateurs that will give you hints on lighting, etc.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

suzska
08-25-2003, 11:17 PM
We've had pretty good luck with Sears. But I know some people have had bad experiences there. Any "girls" we've had taking pictures have been very patient with Evan (some of the other help is a different story--not impatient, just a little grumpy). We even had one girl switch with a different photographer when she realized she wasn't getting anywhere with Evan (who was taking a sippy cup break). The other girl took over and we got some really nice shots. Our problem is that Evan won't sit still and wants to chew all the props. And this was when he was 18 months old. Since I never get around to putting any of the pictures in frames (although my mother does), I can't see spending a great deal of money on pictures. I do have to get around to scheduling his 2nd birthday pics. We have the Smile Savers plan--basically pay a fee one time and you have no sitting fees for 2 years. Our 2 years is up the beginning of December. I don't know if I'll try someplace else after that or not. I also keep an eye out fot the $4.99 portrait sheet coupons. We always go this route because I can choose which of the poses I want and in which sizes. If you get the portrait package you are stuck with tons of photos of the first accepted pose, and then have to pay fill price ($12?) for any other sheets you want of different poses. Plus you often get a 10x13 as part of the package, and that's just TOO BIG in my opinion. I like the 3.5x5 and wallet sizes to give to people. I got acrylic frames at Target/Wal-Mart that have a magnet on the back, so people can stick them on their fridge, to give as Christmas gifts two years ago. I figure they can replace the pics when I send new ones.

I've attached some of Evan's photos so you can see what we've gotten. Three are from his 1st birthday shoot and two are from thie past Christmas.