PDA

View Full Version : Formal photos

SASM
03-16-2003, 11:28 PM
At what age increments do you generally have your baby's photo taken at a studio? Did I miss the boat by not having one taken at 1 month old? :-(

Momof3Labs
03-16-2003, 11:34 PM
Sharyn,

We had Colin's first professional photo taken at 16 weeks, so we even missed the 3 month photo by a few weeks. But we took sooooo many photos at home that we don't feel like we missed anything! We plan to do professional photos again at 6 months, 9 months and a year, and then maybe 6 month increments after that. I know some people who did newborn photos (yes, they were pulled together enough at 4-5 DAYS to get to the mall to have pictures taken)!!

Karenn
03-17-2003, 12:21 AM
Hi Sharyn,
We have done 3 and 6 month pictures, and are planning to do 9 and 12 as well. My co-workers bought me a membership at the Picture People so we've had them all done there. I know some people who did newborn pictures too, but truthfully, I was quite proud of myself for even getting the 3 month ones done. :)

C99
03-17-2003, 01:36 PM
I had formal shots taken of Nate at 6 weeks, which is when my mom had them done with me (well, her brother was a photographer). I'm planning to go back at 3 and 6 months, but then go to a higher-end photographer when he's older. I just did the Picture People at the mall at 6 weeks and the shots were decent, but not wonderful.

parkersmama
03-17-2003, 05:21 PM
We have done photos at 3, 6, 9, & 12 months. Then again at about 18 mos. and 2 years. I after that, I confess that I've been terribly bad about remembering to have it done! As they've gotten older it's been more like once a year. IMO, 6 month pictures should wait until the baby can sit unaided. With almost everyone I've known, the 6 month pics are the cutest! At 3 mos they are still very "baby" and don't show as much personality. At 9 and 12 months most babies are crawling or walking and it's hard to get a good picture because they just won't pose & be still! LOL!

kathsmom
03-18-2003, 12:14 AM
Sharyn,

First of all, welcome to little Ian! I am sorry that I have not responded to his birth - DH has had to use the phone and internet a lot in his job hunt.

We got pictures made of DD at 3 months, but then we didn't get any more until she was in daycare, and later preschool. We took a lot of pictures at home and had the video camera.

For DS, who is almost 6 months old, we still have not had pictures made. I hope to do something soon, but we've been a little preoccupied with DH's job hunt.

My brother got pictures of both his kids at 3,6, 9,and 12 months, as well as holidays. I feel bad sometimes that we have missed out on these photos, but we have a lot of great pictures we have taken ourselves.

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

josephsmom
03-18-2003, 10:50 AM
We had some mommy-and-baby pictures(and some of baby alone)done at 6 weeks, and then from 3 months on we had pictures taken every month for his first year. We also did some group pictures during special family visits--got some great ones with his cousins, and a wonderful 4-generation shot with me, my mom, and my grandma. And I take TONS of pictures at home! This year I'm planning to do them at 15, 18, 21, and 24 months. I really love having them done, but we don't have enough wall space!!

Helene
mommy to Joseph 12/29/01

suzska
03-18-2003, 08:00 PM
I had Evan's 3 month photo (and I do mean "photo") taken at Target. He just woke up (fell asleep in the car, of course) and was in no mood, and it was really warm in the studio. And I was by myself. So the poor girl was very patient, but we only got one photo. It was so cute, though, so I had to get it.

We tried Wal-Mart for his 6 month pictures. It was the morning of 9/11, so I can't seem to bring myself to go back. The pictures were nice enough. But I wasn't crazy about the prices. Sorry, I can't spend more than $50 on photos at a time.

The next ones we had taken were for Christmas. And we started a tradition of having a family holiday photo taken with me, DH, and Evan. He was about 9 months, so I didn't have others taken. Those were at Sears, and since we got the Smile Savers card we've be going back there.

The next ones were for his 1st birthday. We didn't do any for 18 months, but had the next Christmas ones taken when he was about 21 months. Now I have to get around to scheduling his 2nd birthday photos. Yes, I'm a week late already. And he needs a haircut....

Edited to add that I've taken a picture (or 2 or 3...) with my camera on the 11th of every month. So I do have pictures of him for each month. Don't know how long I'll keep that up now that he's 2.

sweetbasil
03-19-2003, 03:45 PM
Sharyn,
We've always gone to JC Penney and had a good experience. Had a bad experience once with Sears, and with the frequency we try to get portraits of DS taken, had to choose something less expensive than Olan Mills....

They have lots of coupons on their website, and one I always save if (I can find) is the $3.99/sheet for all pics. We got the smile-saver plan with them when DS was 3mo, and I had pics taken w/him. The sitting fee for the two of us would've been $20, and they were running a special on the Smile Savers Plan for $30 for 2 yrs. When DS#2 is born, we'll get a new membership (the old one JUST expired), and probably keep going there. We may visit a nicer photographer for our annual Christmas photo, but otherwise, we'll stick around.

Here's a link to that $3.99/sheet deal. It doesn't apply to enhancements (black & white, etc.), but is still a steal:
http://www.portrait-coupons.com/offers/coupons-031330008_04-0515.shtml

If you'd like to see DS's most recent pics from there, just drop me a quick e-mail, and I'll send you a link. I always add the Smiles-By-Wire option for an additional $7, which allows us to have digital pics before the actual pictures come in...nice for posting to our website, but they're not high enough quality to print out and distribute or anything.

HTH!

Melanie
03-21-2003, 03:35 AM
I have a digital so I've taken photos on my own. We started with daily (you won't believe how they change) then ~monthly.
For professionals we did ~6 weeks (b/c they were Christmas family photos), then 3 mo, 6 mo, 9 mo, 12 mo (but it ended up being 13 b/c of illness!), then 15 mo (for Valentine's). Now we'll probably do 18 mo. next. The second year isn't as dramatic as the first.

MartiesMom2B
03-21-2003, 07:06 AM
Sue:

Do you have to pay for the Smile Svers membership at Sears? Someone told DH to get this, but I was wondering what the fee was.

Thanks,

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

August Mom
03-21-2003, 09:54 AM
I'm not Sue, but I have the Smile Savers plan at Sears. Yes, you have to pay for it. It's just under $30 ($29.95 I think) for 2 years of free sittings. So, you break even if you have 3 individual sittings or 2 sittings with more than one person within those 2 years and save money if you want more photos than that. At our first sitting, I decided that I'd go through the photo session first and then decide whether I wanted the Smile Savers plan. I had a good experience, bought the Smile Saver plan and there was no charge for the sitting fee for that first "test" session.

mama2be
03-21-2003, 10:41 AM
I never would have thought to ask this and so glad that you did :)...

SASM
03-21-2003, 12:15 PM
Wow...Thank you so much for all of the GREAT information, Girls!! :-)

Junemom2b
03-23-2003, 06:49 PM
I saw the most amazing family portrait artist at a home and garden show (little creations) and asked for info. They said they don't take infant pics under 4mos b/c they usually don't turn out as well as the parents expect. That 4 mos. is the perfect age for fantastic baby images. DH used to be a professional photographer, so I asked him what he thought. He totally agreed. I'm sure well have cheapie mall photos made, but as for serious pictures... looks like we'll shoot for 4 mos.

Kel

darebear
03-23-2003, 07:09 PM
Kel-

I have my son's pictures taken with Little Creations every year(at one and two, will do it again for 3) and they are incredible! I lived close to one of their locations so I go there. They do hand tinting and black and white. But the photographers are so patient and take around 100 or so pictures at each sitting, but they don't have you pose which is nice, especially with little ones. Normally 75% don't come out very well, but the ones that do are great. Everybody loves the pics and wants to know where they were done. They are expensive but well worth the money.

Allison

colleenfs
03-25-2003, 09:01 PM
We did a newborn shot while we were still at the hospital (the hospital sponsors this), but she's asleep in it! We then did 3 months in her christening gown, 6 months - summertime, 9 months- Halloween and fall, 11 months - Christmas + whole family. I haven't done one since, and I wish I'd done a birthday session. I am planning an Easter one next month. We did Sears at first, but I finally had it with them and we switched to Target. I've been quite pleased with the Target pictures. I may try Picture People this summer as a new one is opening in our mall.

Colleen
Mama to Julia 1-10-02