PDA

View Full Version : book recommendations for raising children/infants

peanut4us
03-18-2003, 04:48 PM
I am just curious as to what books/authors you all are reading for beyond the basics stuff. It seems that most of the books I have on hand are about baby care, which while extremely important, doesn't seem to cover stuff like stimulating your baby.

I would like several books that address learning as well as when and how to avoid bad habits, etc.

Any good stuff out there? I'm pretty middle of the road, neither very conservative nor liberal.

THanks

Joey
EDD April 6 (unless they change it tomorrow at the US; but I think that I am going to vehemently object if they do. I have already been on bedrest for the last 5 weeks.)

egoldber
03-18-2003, 05:10 PM
My absolute favorite is Burton L White's "The First Three Years of Life". He is a child development expert and has spent 30 years doing research with children in the home. He gives lots of very practical advice from toys to discipline. I love his books. I would call him very middle of the road. His stuff about infancy falls very much in line with attachment parenting practices. But that is not his "stance" (and as far as I can tell, he doesn't really have one, which I like.) This book and the Ellyn Satter feeding book are my two favorites.

HTH,

jenmcadams
03-18-2003, 05:53 PM
A great book that I haven't seen mentioned that much on these boards is "What's Going on in There? : How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life " by Lise Eliot, Ph.D. She's a neurobiologist and the book has some great information. Most chapters start include the biological basis of certain types of development (e.g. spatial abilities) along with the manifestation of those developments.

On a lighter note a great book with games and activities for babies is Gymboree's "Baby Play"