PDA

View Full Version : Donating formula?

juliasdad
03-19-2003, 12:51 PM
Julia's been nursed for the first 6 months of her life. We do use formula, but only as the liquid in which we mix her cereal. So we don't use much of it. In fact, we have more Lipil than we can use before it expires. One reason is that Enfamil had an offer where, for any baby born on Labor Day, all you had to do was ask and they'd send out a free case of formula!

Even though our extra supply isn't huge, I still don't want to see it go to waste. But how do I find organizations that will accept donated formula? Should I call the hospital?

-dan

COElizabeth
03-19-2003, 01:13 PM
Dan,

I'm sure there are several nonprofit organizations who would love to have your formula, but the trick would be to find the ones that could use it. I'm not sure where you live, but in my state there is a statewide association of nonprofit organizations that would be able to refer someone to a charity needing these supplies. I can think of several specific charities in our area that would welcome it - a school for teenage mothers, a facility that offers housing and job training and day care for single, low-income parents, a clinic for low-income children, etc. Even a food bank might accept it. I worked for a nonprofit here so may be more aware of them, but it shouldn't be too hard to find someone who would be glad for the donation. Area churches could probably tell you some charities they donate to if you don't have a state nonprofit association that can help.

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

mama2be
03-19-2003, 01:49 PM
I'm thinking a homeless shelter...or even call the social work dept of a local hospital, they'll know what moms are at the hospital that could use it upon discharge...:)...

Social workers are usually under "Social Services" "Social Workers" or "Case Managers"...

Good luck!!!

SASM
03-20-2003, 09:15 AM
Dan,

You can also donate it to an animal shelter. The stray kittens that are taken in are fed baby formula :-)

stillplayswithbarbies
03-20-2003, 03:42 PM
I've been donating mine to a food bank at a church. The place I go work out, Curves For Women, is having a food drive this month and so I just took mine in to them and they give it to the church with all the other food they collect.

...Karen
Mom to Jake age 12 and expecting Logan Elizabeth or Garrett Logan, EDD March 21