PDA

View Full Version : Back or Side Sleeping Position?

etwahl
03-19-2003, 06:44 PM
I've been having Lauren sleep on her side rather than her back for some reason (maybe so I can lie on my side and stare at her while we sleep). It started in the hospital, and I love it. I keep a pillow behind her back to prop her up.

I'm just wondering if this is just as good as the back sleeping position? Since I'm right there, there's no risk of her falling on her face into the bed and not breathing. But wanted to know if there was some extra SIDS risk or something like that?

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

sweetbasil
03-19-2003, 06:47 PM
Tammy,
We did the same thing with DS- swaddled him, and then snuggly fit him in a little curved side sleeper to prop him up. We'd turn him on different sides during each nap to avoid making his head misshapen. In fact, we used the little curved side sleeper so much that I just bought a new one for DS#2. Like you said, that's how he was positioned in the hospital (by the nurses), so we figured that would be a great way for him to sleep at home, too.

Hallie_D
03-19-2003, 07:00 PM
Tammy,

I was just re-reading about this since a high school friend of DH lost a baby to SIDS last week. Apparently the side position is riskier than the back, but better than the tummy. The problem is that many people don't position the baby's arms correctly so the baby can roll over and be face down.

That being said, DS has slept on his side ever since we started co-sleeping at around 12 weeks, and we never had a problem. The only times he has rolled onto his tummy are times that he does it on purpose, now that he can sit himself up and crawl.

We used sleep positioner at first when he was still sleeping in his crib because he liked feeling a little more confined (he would ONLY sleep in his car seat for the first three weeks). The one we bought had removable "bolsters" with velcro that attached to a cloth base. It could be used to safely position the baby on his side or his back.

It is very important to remember that the risk of SIDS is very small, and as long as you are taking precautions (firm bedding; no pillows, heavy blankets, etc. near baby; not overheating baby; not smoking around baby) side sleeping is not likely to greatly increase the risk.

Here is a link to one of the sites I visited:

http://sids-network.org/risk.htm

HTH,

etwahl
03-19-2003, 09:24 PM
Question - how do I know if I'm overheating her? I am so paranoid about her being cold that I'm afraid I might be overheating her.

It's been chilly here at night so I've been upping the heat, then I have her in a tshirt, a sleeper, swaddled in a flannel, and then I drape another little blanket over her (over her belly area, and tucked safely under her).

Is that too much? How can I tell?

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

Rachels
03-19-2003, 10:48 PM
Put your lips to her forehead. She should feel nice and warm, but not hot. Her cheeks should be a little cool. Very scientific. :) Generally, a rule of thumb is to put one more layer on the baby than you need for yourself.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Momof3Labs
03-19-2003, 10:50 PM
We put Colin in the side-sleeping position at first, and now I'm sorry that we did because he would NOT sleep on his back. Next time, we'll only offer the back sleeping position, and keep the baby swaddled. So that's one thing to think about.

It does sound like she is dressed awfully warm - how warm are you keeping the house? The rule of thumb is one more layer than you are wearing, and that sounds like an awful lot of layers. Maybe skip draping the blanket over her, and consider skipping the t-shirt, too, when she is swaddled. I doubt that she would be too cold dressed like that. You will notice, though, that she will get fussier when she is warm as she gets a little older. That's our gauge - Colin hates to be bundled up! Even with the cold Chicago winter that we had!

egoldber
03-19-2003, 11:29 PM
Sarah has always been the same way, HATES to be hot. That does sound like a lot of layers. When we swaddled Sarah, I just had her in a T-shirt or a onesie under the swaddling. When we stopped swaddling, I put her in a one piece sleeper with nothing under it and she was fine. But let your babe be your guide. If she seems fussy, take off a layer.

In general, back sleeping is considered safer than tummy sleeping. If you want her to be on her back later, I would move her to that position soon.

HTH,

etwahl
03-19-2003, 11:47 PM
Gee I have so much to learn. I feel like I know nothing. I also have a hat on her (all the time). Is that good or bad?

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

egoldber
03-19-2003, 11:53 PM
She doesn't need the hat anymore inside. If you're taking her out and it is cool outside, then I would use one for a couple more weeks. After that, just dress her like you do yourself, maybe with an extra layer.

Don't worry, it all starts to click after awhile!

parkersmama
03-20-2003, 12:33 AM
Another way I read and have used with pretty good success: feel her tummy and feet. Ideal: tummy warm and feet slightly cooler. Too cold: both tummy and feet feel cool. Too hot: both tummy and feet feel hot. This method has worked really well for me when I was concerned about getting the temperature right. Although, I definitely use the "face test" that Rachel mentioned as well! :-)

parkersmama
03-20-2003, 12:34 AM
I agree with Beth...no hat necessary indoors. A hat is good outside if it is cool since babies (like adults) loose a lot of heat through their heads. Once the weather gets warmer, a sun hat is a good idea...shades her face and eyes.