PDA

View Full Version : Moved!

Shirale
03-19-2003, 07:53 PM
I just want to say that I had absolutly no clue whatsoever what a nightmare moving is! My parents have been in their house since I was a baby and moving into college dorm, or my first apt when I got married, is just not even in the same league as moving into a house with a toddler. That being said- at the moment I have one working phone jack (after 3 days we are up from none to one, yay!) 2 fridges in my living room, a flood in my basemt every time I use the washing machine, still have to install gates on the stairs, cannot find the majority of my clothing, and a slew of other small complaints. Ah, the joys of home ownership. :-) But- it is so nice to drive into our own driveway after spending countless hours searching for parking in NYC. Anyhow- nice to be back online now!!!!!!

egoldber
03-19-2003, 09:02 PM
Congrats on the new house! Moving really is a nightmare at first, but how wonderful to have your own place!!

jojo2324
03-19-2003, 09:05 PM
Congratulations!! I'm glad you've got your computer hooked up at least! :P How's Amira reacting to the move?

Rachels
03-19-2003, 10:51 PM
Welcome home!!!!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

sweetbasil
03-19-2003, 11:07 PM
Glad the move itself went okay....Best wishes on getting settled and things calming down for your family!

atlbaby
03-19-2003, 11:08 PM
Hooray!! Welcome to NJ!! :) To escape the parking situation in NYC *alone* is worth the nightmare of packing/unpacking I bet!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
#2:) EDD 10/24/03

momathome
03-19-2003, 11:34 PM
Congrats on your new home!!! We moved to our first (and current) home when Liza was 3 1/2 years old and Kasey was 6 months old - and I felt somewhat suicidal from the stress! However, after years of apartment living and bad parking situations (Boston!) we are thrilled to have our own driveway and garage that both of our cars fit in - no more digging out in the snow, no more snow emergencies, no more street cleaning - yay!!! Hope you will be unpacked and enjoying yourself shortly. Good luck!
-Lauren

Annette_C
03-19-2003, 11:57 PM
Congratulations on your new home, Shira!!
I totally understand how you feel right now. In fact, I moved into my new home 1 1/2 yrs ago after having lived 20 yrs in my previous one. You can't even begin to imagine all the junk I had accumulated over the years! Plus, I moved during the time of the sale of my business (very messy and lenghty situation) and while trying to plan my wedding and honeymoon. Am I glad that's over with!
It'll be crazy for a while but, like you said too, there's no place like home....:)

Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

twins r fun
03-20-2003, 12:22 AM
You made it! Congratulations. I cannot even imagine trying to move with a toddler. You have my utmost sympathy!

Nicole

newbelly2002
03-20-2003, 03:30 AM
Congrats! Despite the current chaos, there's no place like one's own home sweet home. (and a garage!!) Hope Amira is handling the move well.

Paula

cara1
03-29-2003, 12:16 PM
Shira,

We're in the process of buying our first house, too. (With a toddler). Now that it's been a while, any advice? For one, where did Amira sleep the first night? I figure we have to take the crib apart to move it, then on the other end, tired, worn out, and not having a clue where the screwdriver might be, do we then have to put the crib together before DS can go to sleep that night? I'm assuming we'll just let him sleep at MIL that night. What did you do?

gravymommy3
03-29-2003, 01:32 PM
Shira,

Congradulations on your move.

As far as the gates on the stairs go, why don't you work with your little one and teach her how to climb down the stairs? My little one is only about a month older than yours, and she has been doing stairs now for about 5 months. I could not really do baby gates because the older two want/need access to the upstairs and I have a hard time lifting them over the gate. It only took about two days for her to learn to go down safetly.

Good luck to you!

Shirale
03-30-2003, 12:16 AM
Hi!! One good thing that we did do was to have the movers put Amira's stuff on the truck last and unpack her room first. So her crib and everything were all ready by the time it was bedtime. That said, she woke up a couple times a night and ended up sleeping in our beds for the first couple of nights until she was more acclimated. Poor thing had a really hard time...I have never moved before so I never realized how stressful it is...friends of mine took her for the day and she was very happy playing with her friend and I could concentrate on the last minute stuff. (My parents and DH's parents all live pretty far away) anyhow, it is lots of fun! :-) If you have any other Q's please ask!
Amy,
In terms of the gate- Amira can climb the stairs, but they are not carpeted and she is majorly fascinated with them (we were in an apt before so she only had stairs at my parents and in-laws!) and I want her to be able to run around without me having to worry that she'll try the stairs on her own. When did your daughter start being able to climb down the stairs, how did you teach that? Thanks!

gravymommy3
03-30-2003, 12:58 PM
I would get on the stairs with her (she was above me) and I would her legs (she was in the same position as when she climbed up) and reverse the motion she used to climb up. We probably played at this for two or three days before she made the connection. I would guess that she was 13 mos. at the time (it was right after her birthday and right before Christmas as best as I can remember). It did not take her long to come down them by herself - I watched her like a hawk for the first few months, but now I am confident she can handle them on her own. Yours not being carpeted should not make that much difference (we have an uncarpeted set going to the basement and Hayden handles them ok - she just gets dirty as heck on them!) Good luck!

Oh, one other thing. Hayden could go up long before she could go down (naturally) but she was very scared to try to go down on her own. She would hover at the top and really want to try to come down but she just could not make herself take the plunge. Maybe Amira will have that same self-preservation instinct!