PDA

View Full Version : So we won't be eating there again.....

dd_ani
03-21-2003, 12:41 AM
If anyone needs a laugh, I am happy to oblige! It was one of those evenings when things went from bad to worse to.....

So, we decided to go out to eat at the restaurant where DH's sister works (luckily, she was off tonight). DD is almost 13 months now and, although she is usually pretty good, she was in one of those moods where she was grabbing _everything_ off the table. But, hey, you learn to eat with one hand, while snatching forks, water glasses, and plates out of your little one's hands, right?

Things were rolling along. It is a Mexican/Southwest place, so the table was cluttered with chips and salsa, drinks, plates, and, of course, cherrios and food jars (we usually bring our own when going out because you never know what she will react badly to....) I decided sopapillas (fried puffed dough, basically) with honey sounded good with dinner, but unfortunately, the huge bowl of honey was across the table next to DH. Poor table manners that I have, I decided to just reach for it. Unfortunately, I knocked into his water glass, spilling it everywhere. But wait, the water glass hit the honey, which went careening to the floor leaving a sticky trail in its wake. DH's leg was covered in honey. I was mortified. Luckily, all the mess was on his side of the table, so it looked like his fault! :)

Well, we managed to get through dinner without any more incidents (or the need for a fourth pile of "more napkins, please?" ). But just as we were starting to get up, DD began to cough. Or so we thought. What looked like a cough turned into a little spit up turned into a bit of vomit. Of course, our fast reflexes, honed by a year of parenthood, enabled us to catch the majority of the mess before it even hit the overalls. A couple more napkins and we were set.

Unfortunately, as we were wiping off our hands and congratulating ourselves on the amazing save, the vomiting started in full force. Not just a little urp, but a look-out-her-head-might-start-spinning-around full mess. All over her clothes, all over the highchair, all over the floor.

I was elected to take DD to the restroom (through 2 other dining rooms, past the kitchen, and around the corner) while DH begged for more napkins. So, I try to nonchalantly carry this child who is covered in white and orange vomit head to toe past all of the other diners. (Note to self: feed only neutral colored foods like pears and applesauce in public in the future....)

Of course, by the time we get to the bathroom, DD has recovered from her surprise and has started chattering happily as I try to figure out what to do when _all_ of her clothes are covered in goo, we have no spares in _this_ diaper bag, and it is 40 degrees out..... To make a long story short, the overalls had go, the onsie got a spot wash, and I don't think we will be eating there again any time soon.

But hey, at least it was so rediculous that it was even funny at the time. :P

Michelle

AngelaS
03-21-2003, 08:23 AM
ROTFL! Make sure you save a copy of that story for her baby book. :D

sweetbasil
03-21-2003, 10:19 AM
That is awful- but if you can already laugh about it, then GOOD for YOU! Hope your next dining out experience goes MUCH better :)

mama2be
03-21-2003, 10:38 AM
When I read the first part (that you reached for the honey)...I thought your DD is probably thinking "which boards are out on the internet where I can ask advice on taking DM (DEAR MOM) out to eat)...:):):) But as I kept reading it looks like DD stole the show!!!

AHHH I have so much to look forward to :)...
Thanks for sharing!!!

egoldber
03-21-2003, 10:44 AM
Yikes!! But the scary thing is, almost every mom I know has a restaurant story like this! We haven't had the projectile vomit thing in a restaurant yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time...

momathome
03-21-2003, 12:23 PM
Ugh!!! Projectile vomit from both of my girls and at various ages and stages - you'd think I'd learn to always have a spare outfit on hand! Hope your next restaurant experience goes more smoothly - always an adventure!
-Lauren

atlbaby
03-21-2003, 04:45 PM
Oh my gosh, what an experience you had! At least it sounds like DD didn't seem any the worse for it since she was back to chattering when you got to the bathroom. And glad to hear you can laugh about it--sometimes when things go SO badly you can't do anything but laugh!!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
#2:) EDD 10/24/03

suzska
03-22-2003, 02:41 AM
Well, my "vomitting in public" story isn't as good as yours. DS managed to keep most of it off his clothes. And we never actually made it into the restaurant.

We were in Disney World this past January, and DS got the strange bug that was going around (at least that seems to be the only explaination, and the rest of us got it before the trip was over).

The 1st time was at MGM around 3pm, and I just missed it (was coming out of an attraction while DH was watching him). But apparently Evan projected pretty well (to keep it off his clothes) right in front of one of the cast entrances. Got him some water, got him some apple juice, nothing really calmed him down. About 45 minutes later, we're standing in front of the restaurant, trying to decide whether to go in. I'm holding him and I can feel this rumble in his tummy. Split second thinking and I flip him in my arms so that he was parallel to the ground, more or less, and everything went straight down. I remember thinking, "not on me, you don't!" We cancelled our dinner plans, got somebody to clean things up (again), and headed for the boat back to the hotel.

Waiting in line for the boat, I think another 45 minutes later, Evan threw up again. Almost got it in the water! Managed to get him back to the hotel, but as we're standing around in the lobby waiting for DH to find out if there's any kind of First Aid service at the hotel (there isn't), Evan threw up again. All those spare napkins Grammy had in her pocket came in handy. We decided there was no point taking him to a local clinic, so we decided to just wait things out.

The front desk sent balloons and a get-well card signed by Winnie-the-Pooh up to the room! We make them clean all this stuff up, and they send us a card! :) Evan perked up once he got the balloons, but he crashed soon after that. Everything was fine until he woke up in the middle of the night, wanting milk. Ten minutes later he was sitting on the couch with DH and threw up the milk all over the couch. (Call to housekeeping in the morning.)

Since milk seemed to be a "trigger" we stayed away from it until he seemed better. Of course a few days later he had some and some french fries, which he threw up all over our hotel bed that night. Another call to Housekeeping for all new bedding. At least I didn't have to do ALL the clean up. I think he realized that the milk wasn't helping him, so he was good and didn't drink anymore the rest of the trip. He was "back to normal" a few days after coming home. But his stuffed Clifford was a little worse for wear having been part of the french fry episode.

And I always try to remember that spare outfit....

Oh, the things we mothers talk about!

kapow
03-22-2003, 10:15 AM
Uh-oh, I suppose it's too late for me to change my mind... :)

Thanks for sharing!