PDA

View Full Version : Infant sleep patterns - finding a mix

mcmorfit
03-21-2003, 10:08 AM
Kind of an odd question, but I'm just wondering about infant sleep patterns during the day. Lucy (3 weeks) breastfeeds roughly every three hours during the day and then has a big sleep at night of 5 - 6 hours, and then we repeat it all over again.

During the day after a feed, she is content and very observant. Right now I have been doing three things after she feeds: 1) putting her in a sling and going for a walk inside or outside; 2) playing with her and singing bad show tunes; and 3) putting her down for a nap. When I put her down she isn't asleep, but sometimes falls asleep. Likewise, in the sling, she usually falls asleep.

I'm just curious about finding a mix so she gets enough sleep and I'm not overstimulating her. The rational part of me is saying - if she is tired she'll sleep, but then sometimes she doesn't. So much for rational thought!

I know this is probaly normal, but any suggestions on sleep during the day?

Ellen
Mamma to Lucy 2/23/03

Momof3Labs
03-21-2003, 10:24 AM
Ellen,

Lucy sounds like she is doing GREAT - a 5-6 hour stretch at night at 3 weeks old is wonderful! Colin started that at about 4 weeks.

At 3 weeks, babies usually sleep quite a bit, and they pretty much fall asleep if they need to sleep. I would only worry if she is being woken up from naps often (Colin would wake up when we put him down at that age). If it seems like she is napping and waking up on her own, then I would say that she is doing fine! No, not just fine but great!

Great job, Mom!!

egoldber
03-21-2003, 10:30 AM
I agree. Sounds like she is doing great and is a little joy!