PDA

View Full Version : How many Chicago(land)ers are there?

C99
03-21-2003, 02:31 PM
I've seen so many people who have posted that they are in or around Chicago, which I think is amazing on a board of this size. So a quick little poll:

(1)Where are you?
(2)Do you belong to any online or IRL Chicago(land)-based parenting groups other than this one? Or are there any you'd recommend?
(3)What is the best store you've found for baby products in the area?

1 - I live in the City (NW side) and my contract's in Naperville.
2 - Not really.
3 - I like Lazar's, but I haven't found any that have knocked my socks off. Maybe I am expecting too much.

llzink
03-21-2003, 03:31 PM
Hello, this is a good idea, I also thought their seems to be a lot of Chicago(suburb) people on these boards.

1 - I live in Naperville/Aurora border and work in Rolling Meadows.
2 - This is my only source of online info. If what you are looking for is not here then just ask your question and get the answers.
3 - We are registered at BRU because it had the biggest selection. I am a big fan of online shopping and ebay. If I find a product I like at a store I am usally able to find a equal if not better price online. Added benefit is items get shipped right to my door.

kapow
03-21-2003, 04:08 PM
Great idea!

(1) I'm in Lincoln Park, about a mile from the lake
(2) I haven't found anything online or IRL. I'm hoping that by June I will find something.
(3) "A Second Child" on Armitage Ave. It's a consignment store for children's clothing and baby gear. I've just about completed my layette there and I'm keeping my eye on their strollers too. I'm not far from a Costco so we'll probably join for things like diapers, etc.

Hallie_D
03-21-2003, 04:15 PM
Hey, great idea!

1)I'm in Hyde Park, work in the loop.
2)Nope, no parenting groups. Thank goodness for this board!
3)I love Lazars (got the crib there) but go to BRU for everyday stuff. There is no good place near me--everything is a long drive away!

beckyr88
03-21-2003, 05:51 PM
Hi!

I've been curious about this too....

1) I am in the city, near the intersection of Irving Park/Damen/Lincoln Ave.

2) This is the only baby/parenting source I use, but wouldn't mind joining something IRL.

3) The only baby store I've been to besides BRU is Cella's for Baby at Lincoln and Fullerton. I got my Mountain Buggy Terrain there (I don't think there was any price difference btw. them and ordering from Sycamore Kids directly). They have all the high-end stollers I've read about on this board!!! Plus a good selection of clothes and toys (not a cheap place, but very cool).

Becky
mama to Stella 3-21-03

JMarie
03-21-2003, 06:05 PM
(1) South Elgin
(2) Nope, unless you count coworkers - there are a lot of babies, so we swap gear and clothing sometimes.
(3) I haven't found one yet - I did a lot of online shopping.

JMarie
Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03

cvharris
03-21-2003, 06:23 PM
1. I live in Willowbrook, in the western suburbs near Hinsdale and Oak Brook.

2. I don't belong to any parenting groups yet - hoping to find one when this little guy comes!

3. I haven't found a really great baby product store. Is there such a thing? I agree with JMarie that the best shopping is done online - or on eBay!

hbangthompson
03-21-2003, 06:50 PM
1) I live in Hyde Park and work downtown.
2) We belong to a playgroup of 10 kids which we go to 3 days/week and there's a Hyde Park parents' listserve that I'm get emails from occasionally about babysitters, park dates, random info.
3) I get most things from BRU, Costco, and Target. But I have become a bigger fan of shopping online - just got a great jogging stroller for Christmas from Amazon.

Hyeyoung
mama to Nicholas 12/13/01

smilequeen
03-21-2003, 08:04 PM
Ah, I wish, I really miss it. I lived on LSD, just a few blocks from Michigan Ave for a few years (went to Northwestern Chicago campus) and Lincoln Park (Halsted and Armitage) for a few years. I was there a few weeks ago and it was like going back home...ahhhh.

I envy all of you :)

StaceyKim
03-21-2003, 08:05 PM
Hi
I live in Lakeview near Southport Ave.
Don't belong to any parenting groups.
I have bought things just about everywhere: Cradles of Distinction, Bellini, Land of Nod, Pottery Barn Kids, Lazars, Target and of course BRU. Every store has something good to offer but not all stores have everything. I also do a lot of online shopping as well. First grandchild in my family, so also getting tons from parents in Boston.

Roleysmom
03-21-2003, 10:53 PM
1.) We live in Pilsen (near SW side of the city) but spend a lot of time in Hyde Park (DH's tutoring practice is there)

2.) Nope, don't belong to any groups other than this one but would be really interested in one. I'd love to know more about the Hyde Park listserve and play group.

We do go to a weekly Wiggleworms class at the Old Town School in Lincoln Square, which is great, but not the same as a parents/play group.

3.) I've shopped mostly online. I love Costco for diapers and wipes and the occassional $6 Carter's sleeper.

Paula
-- mom to Roley Julia 1/04/02

hbangthompson
03-22-2003, 02:03 PM
Here's some information about joining the Hyde Park parents' listserve. I think if you just go to this link, you should be able to join and once you do, you'll get an email on how to post, etc.

https://listhost.uchicago.edu/mailman/listinfo/parents

mharling
03-22-2003, 02:51 PM
Great idea; I've been curious about this myself!

1. Western suburbs
2. Attended a friend's playgroup on Tuesday. They get together once a week and I will likely become a regular. This board is really my main source of information.
3. I also haven't really found anything that has knocked my socks off. I've done quite a bit of shopping online.

Mary
EDD 4/5/03

partyof5
03-24-2003, 10:21 AM
Hi Caroline! Hope you and Nate are doing well! I just saw your post.

1 - North side of Chicago and I work downtown.

2 - Haven't really looked for one. My 3 yr old DD loves story time at the Chicago Public Library. She never wants to go home afterwards even when we try to bribe her w/McDonalds. I also joined a Mom, Pops, Tots interaction at the local Chicago Park District but I stopped going because a couple of the nannies kept bringing their sick kids and my DD got sick twice within 1 month! Arghh! I try a different class in the summer. Maybe I'll have better luck. I also want to try the classes at Old Town School of Music but they fill up quickly.

3 - I, too, like Lazar's but sometimes they're overpriced. I mainly go there to window shop and then see if I can get it cheaper online. :)

Target is great for diapers and wipes on sale - get a raincheck when they run out -(sometimes Osco sales beat their price), inexpensive clothes (I bought a $8.00 dress for my DD then saw the EXACT same dress -same color, same design, same everything- at Carson Pirie Scott but with a Osh Kosh tag on it for $18!) and accessories like socks (I think 6 prs for $4-5).

Marshalls has good deals on clothes (RL, Tommy, Carters, Vitamins, Little Me, Absorba), shoes (keds, stride rite), toys, books, and videos (Wiggles, Elmo).

Costco or Sam's for formula, diapers, wipes.

Old Navy always rotates their stock often. I got toddler sneakers like the ones they have at the Gap for only $3.99 a pair! They have nice socks too that have the no slip grip on the bottom.

Nordstrom Rack sometimes has some deals on clothing and shoes, but I haven't gone there in a while.

Marshall Field's has a children's clothing stock up sale a couple of times a year where the more you buy the more you save...I think the most is 30% off.

Bloomingdales can sometimes have good buys on their clearance racks (RL toddler boy tshirts for $10, Bloomies brand shorts $7).

Carson Pirie Scott has these Community Days 20% off coupon booklets (6 coupons) certain times of the year that you can purchase for $10. I went last year the weekend right before Thanksgiving to do my X'mas shopping for the 2 dozen kids on our list (24 kids?!?! Yes. We have an annual party w/my DHs friends from high school. There's about 7 couples and everyone has at least 1 and up to 4 kids each! We always get gifts for the kids and if there's any money left over, grab bag for the adults.) and bought really nice outfits and clothes (Osh Kosh shirts & pullovers, RL dress shirts, Guess pullovers, URIT girls sweaters, Tommy shirts, Little Me infant outfits). I ended up spending only $10-$12 per kid! They also just had their Goodwill coupon days that ended yesterday where for each item of clothing you donate to Goodwill you get a 20% off coupon that can be used on any regular or sale priced item. I donated about 13 items of maternity clothes that I didn't need and I ended up purchasing some nursing loungewear for less than $13.00 an outfit! They were already 50% off plus I got another 20% with the coupons.

The usual BRU.

Amazon for children's hardcover books and videos. Sometimes it's just cheaper to buy online, especially when there's free shipping and no tax!

Oh- and for us Moms (or Dads) that love Godiva chocolate, they always discount their chocolate bunnies, chicks, and boxed Easter candy by 50% the day after Easter at their stores. Yum! We deserve a treat once in a while! ;)

Sorry, I got carried away. I just LOVE a good sale!