PDA

View Full Version : Transverse Baby

jd11365
03-21-2003, 07:53 PM
I'm 32 weeks and my baby is lying side to side. The doctor said everything is fine, she is supposed to turn after 34 weeks. Has this happened to anyone? I really don't want a c-section because I have a low pain tolerance and will need pain meds, and I really want to breastfeed. I'm really hoping she turns around!

Jamie
EDD 5/9/03

mamahill
03-21-2003, 08:09 PM
Ainsleigh was all over the place (my ribs were not happy!) until about the 36th week. At my 32-week appt she was head down, and two weeks later she was head up. I was kind of worried until my ob reassured me that he had seen babies flip IN labor, so don't worry - she's probably just enjoying her last weeks of mobility until she has go stay head down. Hang in there!

muskiesusan
03-21-2003, 08:51 PM
There is still plenty of time for the baby to turn into the "proper" position. When I found out Nicholas was breach, several people told me how their baby didn't turn until the last week. If the baby doesn't turn on its own, there are things that can be done, both medically and non, to help the baby get into the right position.

With that said, Nicholas proved to be stubborn about the whole thing, a trait that is still prevelant, and I had to have a c-section. I was able to breastfeed immediately without any problems!

Although I know its hard, I really wouldn't worry about it at this point. The baby has plenty of time to move!!

Susan
WAHM to Nicholas 10/01/01

Rachels
03-21-2003, 09:03 PM
I agree! Lots of time left. But there's a chiropractic technique which is hugely successful for turning babies, if you're interested in trying something sooner rather than later. And even if you have a section, you CAN breastfeed! There are pain meds which are considered safe for breastfeeding babies, and a good LC can help you learn positions that can minimize discomfort for you. Lots of good thoughts for a head-down baby, though!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

muskiesusan
03-21-2003, 09:28 PM
*Edit to add: The chiropratic technique is called the Webster technique and is recommended in the 8th month. The external version is what is recommended in the 36th week. My mommy brain got me mixed up on these two procedures.

A note on the chiropractic technique, the name of which just left me (I am so frustrated by my mommy brain!). I had it done, and everybody I spoke to recommended waiting until after the 36th week because there still is a good chance the baby will turn on its own, and also, you don't want to risk the baby turning back into wrong position if she/he has too much time left in the womb.

Others may have different opinions on it, but I thought I would just add what I was told.

Susan

egoldber
03-21-2003, 10:05 PM
Even if you do end up with a C section, there is no reason not to breastfeed. I had a C, and was on Percodan for about 2 weeks. I nursed with it and was told by everyone there was no reason not to. In fact, it is VERY important to take pain meds with a C, so that you are able to be up and about. The sooner you are out of bed, the sooner you recover.

HTH,

jd11365
03-22-2003, 10:09 AM
You guys are great! I feel a little better now...would definitely feel a lot better if she were head down, but I guess it's early and knowing you all breastfed and it was ok, is reassuring.

Jamie
EDD 5/9/03

MegND95
03-22-2003, 05:03 PM
HI! I had a breech baby, back in 2000. My Dr's attempted a procedure known as external cephalic version, where the baby is physically lifted and turned from the outside. I can give you all kinds of details about that if you are interested. Mine failed and I ended up with a planned c/s when I was 39 weeks. Even though it failed, I am glad I at least gave it a shot.

My c/s was NOT bad, and I was able to bf a few hours after dd was born. If you do need a c/s I would suggest bringing the Boppy or some other b/f pillow, to ease the pressure of the baby on your incision.

And there is defintely a chance your baby could turn in the coming weeks. There are also a number of things you can safely try at home in order to get baby to turn. Talk to your provider and see what she recommends. And search the web. There is a ton of info on how to get babies to turn.

Good luck!

sarasprings
03-22-2003, 05:41 PM
My little baby was transverse up to week 35. Toward the end, my sides were painful, but he seemed content to stay where he was. At 10 months, he is still the cuddly little boy I expected given he wanted to be that squished. I was also worried about a c-section , especially after getting info from the birthing classes. I started doing visualization stuff that the MW suggested (in jest?) where I pictured him turning head down -- which he did the next day!

Sara
mom to Peter 5/4/02

Rachels
03-22-2003, 09:24 PM
It's not an in-jest suggestion, from what I hear. A friend of mine followed her midwife's crazy-sounding suggestion to turn all of the photos on her walls upside down and to basically invert whatever she could in the house. The baby turned within 24 hours. My rational side wants to say it's total coincidence, but it works often enough for the midwife to suggest it, so who knows? If I had a baby who wasn't head down, I'd try it. It can't hurt. :)

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

muskiesusan
03-22-2003, 09:59 PM
Its funny, but when I found out Nick was breech, I did all kind of crazy things to get him to turn. My midwife suggested lying inverted on an ironing board for 15 minutes twice a day while picturing the baby turning. My doula gave me a mediation tape that softly spoke the words "turning, turning, turning" over and over. The chiropractor gave us some moxa sticks to burn by my little toe (apparently this is a form of acupunture and has been used in Chinese medicine for centuries successfully to turn babies). The chiropractor also performed the Webster technique and in addition the ob performed an external version at the hospital. I was told all of these methods are somewhat successful and was able to find several sources recommending them.

I had taken natural childbirth classes and was willing to do anything to make it happen. Now I wonder if I did too much and just confused Nicholas! On the other hand, he is pretty stubborn just like his mommy and daddy.

Susan