PDA

View Full Version : What cardinal sin did your MIL commit during your pregnancy?

mharling
03-23-2003, 03:51 PM
I remember Flagger's question about cardinal sins committed by your dh/so during pregnancy and thought I'd put a different spin on it. What sin was committed by you or your dh/so's parents during your pregnancy? Can you tell that something recently happened with mine???

MIL called me Thursday afternoon telling me about a set of tables she wants from TJ Maxx and was wondering if there was a TJ Maxx close to us. I said yes and she asked if I would call to see if they had them. In a weak moment, I said yes, but I couldn't do it right away because I was heading out to run errands and get my hair cut.

Well, Thursday evening comes and I begin a horrible case of the flu. I didn't sleep for more than 45 minutes at a time Thursday night and called my doctor Friday morning to find out what I could do and at what point I would need to call them if it continued. I left a message with their answering service and eagerly awaited the return phone call. The phone rang at 9:00 am and it was MIL asking if I had a chance to call TJ Maxx. I said no, I've been up all night with the flu and right now I'm waiting for my doctor to call (aka you need to hang up). Needless to say, I was not feeling too good during the day Friday. She called again around 4:00 and asked again if I had a chance to call TJ Maxx. EXCUSE ME?????? I'm 38 weeks pregnant and trying to get over the flu!!! Don't you think calling TJ Maxx is at the bottom of my list of concerns at the moment???? AAAGGGHHH!!!!!

Alright, I've set the stage. I'm ready to hear your stories too. I know I can't be alone!!!!

Mary
EDD 4/5/03

mcmorfit
03-23-2003, 04:27 PM
hee, hee, hee

First, Mary, hope you are feeling better and that the remaining time of pregnancy goes soothly.

I'm forgetting anything MIL said during my pregnancy, HOWEVER, I do remember one thing she said when we got married. Right after the ceremony, I swear within 30 minutes, she said that when DH and I have children, they could stay the whole summer with her at her beach house so DH and I could have the summer free. What? I really think that sentence alone was birth control for me for the next eight years! Needless to say, she has never brought it up again.

Ellen
Mamma to Lucy 2/27/03

flagger
03-23-2003, 05:24 PM
Telling me that a Snoopy themed nursery was not appropriate for a girl's room is the top of the list and that she hated our choice of name.

So anyway, have you called TJ MAXX yet? ;)

Ducking and running away very fast.

bluej
03-23-2003, 06:44 PM
Ooooh, this is a dangerous one! During my first pregnancy my MIL told my DH that he should not allow me to have an epidural. At this point in the pregnancy I hadn't even considered whether or not I wanted one. Well, being told that DH shouldn't ALLOW me to have one definitely put it in my mind that I WANTED one. I know, spiteful. W/ my second pregnancy my Dr. estimated that the baby was 8 - 8 1/2 lbs at 36 weeks. We started to talk about possibly inducing at 38 weeks. MIL came unglued and told DH that he shouldn't allow that. With those two cases I have to say what upset me most at the time is that she didn't have these talks w/ me and give me reasons as to why she felt this way. She just told DH that he shouldn't 'allow' these things to happen. Well w/ my second pregnancy I ended up having him at 38 weeks (my water broke, but I was still induced) and he was 9 1/2 lbs. Now I'm pregnant w/ my third and MIL actually talked to me this time. She told me that her third was 9 lbs 10 oz and w/ her fourth she didn't want to have that big of a baby again, so as soon as she gained 18 lbs she went on a diet and that I should do the same to avoid having a big baby. I just sat there stunned. W/ my second I gained 22 lbs, so I don't think it was my overeating that caused him to be so big. I really don't think dieting at any point during my pregnancy is going to get me a smaller baby. My understanding is that the baby takes what it wants/needs and my hips, butt and thighs get the leftover calories! Anyway, after that I realized that I was lucky that she talked to DH during my first two pregnancies and not me if that's the kind of advice she's going to give out. Btw, she's coming next weekend for DS's birthday. I'm sure she'll be watching every bite I eat.

Jen

dd_ani
03-23-2003, 06:47 PM
I posted this a while back, but....

One of the first things I worried about when we FINALLY got pregnant was how to avoid the baby shower. I hate the stupid games and, given our fertility problems and possibilities of miscarriage, did not want to jinx things. Plus, I had visions of little old ladies I didn't even know giving me things like unsafe crib sheets and 15 diaper stackers.....

So, we made my wishes pretty well known up front, when we finally told people we were expecting. We were particularly clear with my MIL, who has a history of doing things to suit herself (like my bridal shower, where none of my friends were invited).

Lo and behold, my mother calls me when I am about 6 months pregnant. MIL has tried to enlist her to help with a SURPRISE baby shower, to be held at DH's GRANDMOTHER's apartment building, where you have to invite all the residents, none of whom I know and all of whom are at least 70....

Well, DH got on the phone and put a stop to that plan very quickly. (But I still shudder at the thought....) But there were, of course, hurt feelings and a lot of accusations that I just didn't know what was good for me.

To make a long story short, we decided to host a small family gathering _after_ the baby was born and healthy and I was recovered, and to let MIL help plan to smooth things over. HA! She came over one night and wanted to discuss "her little party," which by now had morphed into a country club extravaganza, complete with little sandwiches and a guest list FULL of her Avon customers. Oh, and by the way, she was not going to allow DH's aunt, with whom we are close, to attend because "I just don't want her there."

Luckily, DH and some other circumstances intervened and the party was off. But it still irks me, and dd is 13 months old now. (Don't even let me start on what MIL pulled for her first birthday party......)

Michelle

AngelaS
03-23-2003, 07:17 PM
My inlaws came to visit when I was about 7 mo pregnant with number 1. We were on a VERY tight budget, but knew we were having a girl, so I'd spent the summer garage saleing for the items dd would need. I was VERY proud of the adorable, name brand clothes in her closet, the great deals I'd gotten on supplies, etc and proudly showed them off to MIL.

The last day they were here, we went out to breakfast. I left to go to work and MIL pinned down dh. She told him how hurt they were that we'd bought EVERYTHING and there was nothing left for her to buy. Dh told me about it later and I was SO pissed!

I had SO wanted to go and pick out a new crib, but we couldn't afford it. Did she offer to do that?? Dh said he was so blown away by how upset she was that he didn't remember to tell her that. GRR...

Then, since dh is the last of the family to be able to carry on the family name, all I heard after dd#1 was born was that we needed to try for a boy.

We got pregnant with dd#2. Even tho we knew she was a girl, MIL insisted on referring to my dd as 'it' my ENTIRE pregnancy! I let her know how awful that was of her. :D I love pregnancy---it was just a great excuse for telling people how I REALLY feel! LOL

brubeck
03-23-2003, 07:43 PM
Why didn't she call TJ Maxx herself? Then you could go pick it up (sick & pregnant in the driving snow)if they had it!

Momof3Labs
03-23-2003, 09:03 PM
This is DH's first child, although his oldest brother has 3 (the oldest is 20) and his second brother has two (the oldest is 16). Plus, a family friend has three that are "just like grandchildren" to them.

Well, after we get pg (a miracle in and of itself), MIL says to me, "well this IS our ninth grandchild" during a conversation about how this really isn't a big deal to them. We've also been given grief about not flying down to Florida with Colin (where they live). It would cost us about $1000, including hotel because their place is too small for all of us, and they haven't offered to pay for a dime (THEY moved away, not us). But they sure had the money for a NICE new boat last year.

Fortunately, Colin is a first on my side of the family and is being loved and spoiled rotten.

I'm an awful person - a small part of me hopes that his parents will pass away (they are both in marginal health) before Colin is old enough to remember them. I don't want him to have memories of grandparents that treated him as #9 instead of the unique, special boy that he is.

KathyO
03-23-2003, 11:08 PM
Eat a whole cream pie while she's watching.

jubilee
03-23-2003, 11:11 PM
You know, when you recieve a gift you remind yourself "it's the thought that counts". Well, in this case it's the lack of thought that really counts. I was blessed to have had two baby showers. I invited my MIL to the first one, but she didn't come or even Rsvp. I was understanding because it was held by my friends at church, and she may have been afraid of that since she doesn't attend church. So, I invite her to the second shower held by a family friend, and she doesn't come to it either. Last night we had a family game night, which we do once a month, and it was at our house. She wanted to see the baby's room, and once she sees it says, "oh, good- you've gotten everything already. I'm glad I didn't bother getting you a gift." Well, not wanting to deliver Logan from a jail hospital, I just bit my tongue. But I can't get it out of my head. My husband is mad as heck, but says we should have expected it. (His family puts the "fun" in dysfunctional.) So, let me ask, SHOULD I EVEN TELL THEM WHEN I GO INTO LABOR?? Just wondering, if I am over-reacting...

mharling
03-23-2003, 11:52 PM
LOL!!! You just gave me the laugh I needed about this.

Mary
EDD 4/5/03

dd_ani
03-24-2003, 12:58 AM
LOL! (It's all you can do sometimes!) The great part about this thread is that you realize you aren't the only person in the world trying to survive your husband's relatives! My MIL wasn't even going to come to DH's graduation with his MBA because it wasn't convenient (like she had to drive across town and we live in a small town) and she "didn't even realize that he was back in school." HELLO! He was only taking classes for 3 1/2 years! I finally had words with her about that one, unbeknownst to DH at the time, and only because he was so hurt, and she did show up, but really!!!!!! You aren't overreacting, you are just expecting rational behavior from otherwise irrational people. Just remember, they aren't _your_ relatives.

Michelle

newbelly2002
03-24-2003, 05:17 AM
MIL is a handful, but other than the passive aggresive side is relatively harmless. FIL on the other hand makes up for teh slack. One day we were driving back from the Post OFfice shortly after DS was born. DH (who was driving) picked up the mail (I was in teh back seat with DS) and gave it to FIL in the front seat to hold till we got to the house. FIL proceeded to begin to tear open a package that was clearly a baby gift addressed to ME. I told him to stop and he didn't. DH told him to stop and he halted. "I want to see what it is" he said, like that was the most natural thing in the world.

About 2 months later, he told me that "during pregnancy your backside really really BLOOMED--if you know what I mean." When I tried to say that DH told me I hadn't gotten fat, he said, "of course he said that. What else could he say." Then he laughed like this was our best, provate joke. I was so shocked I didn't know what to say. No, I don't know what you mean, old man, why don't you go into a little MORE detail! Of course, this isn't all pregnancy related. My parents have lived in the same town as his for over 25 years, 14 of which DH and I have been together, and they only speak when social situations force the issue.

Whew. Glad to know I'm not alone.

zen_bliss
03-25-2003, 08:13 AM
MIL -- upside: generous, good heart. downside: a little OCD and overemphatic about her POV. we always find a way to chuckle about these episodes after the fact.

it's been a hard year and even crib purchase was a source of stress (solved by this BB!), so that would have been a really thoughtful nice gift. or the startup cloth diaper setup. she decided to skip the registry and provide several 'heirloom' sweaters (i kid you not) and tiffany's doodads that would have covered a good deal of essential gear. these came with close to $100 pricetags still attached so i'd get the message, accompanied by more than one firm admonishment that they are not to be handed along to other children in our extended family (roundrobin sharing is how we got lucky in not needing any clothes at all) nor end up at a garage sale. i had a full sobbing-on-the-phone-to-DH-midday estrogen meltdown over that one.

oh, i forgot the abject HORROR that i stocked up on gear at yard sales and thrift stores. "Don't you want her to have anything that's HERS?" i was (am) so proud of myself. the real item that caused her to be particularly appalled was that i bought a really nifty vintage solid wood changing table and painted it (not that i painted it, but that it was Not New.)

i'm due april 30, and every conversation recently is about how baby NEEDS to be an aries (ie, get moving before april 20). and persistent reminders that "if her mother wants her to be an aries, she'll be an aries". so, everything in her life that is imperfect shall be blamed on her being a taurus (ie, mom not getting with the program to "will" her out on time.)
no further comment necessary on this one.

i found very useful the japanese art of the non-assent assent, which goes like "mmm hmmm" or often just "mmmmmmmm"

Andrea S
03-25-2003, 09:15 AM
My MIL informed us that we were spending too much money on our nursey furniture. I was mad at her b/c is not her business we were not asking her to pay for anything. I was also mad at DH that he told her. Then after the baby was born she bought us a pair of overalls that were 12 month size not very exicting to new mom in hospital holding her newborn baby. When we came home she wanted to hold him allll the time I wanted to hold him too! When she was holding him she would unwrap him and try to wake him up. If she was not holding him she would keep on until someone would give him up. It still makes me mad to think about it.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

barbarhow
03-25-2003, 09:36 AM
Compared to some of the above stories my MIL is sounding like a gem. Her one thing that is driving me up a very high wall is her insistence that the baby be born on her birthday-3 days after my due date. I know what this is all about. I've lived it for several years now as our niece sits down every year to open her gifts we hear once again how the MIL was lying in a hospital having a heart attack while her granddaughter was born. The story goes on and on. Poor Sam has heard this story now every year for 12 years. I haven't heard it nearly as many times and am totally annoyed by it. Its all about her. I have had numerous chats with my baby about arriving on any day other than that one....please....

The really awful sin was committed by my own mother at my bridal shower last spring. She was pissed that I had registered for some wine glasses that she felt were "way too extravagant" (No where near as nice as the ones she got when she married). She decided to do the passive aggressive route and gave me 2 paperback books and get this-A long sleeve tshirt with a kitty cat in a garden that said Martha Mewart on it. Yupp. That was my big gift. My sister had given me the heads up-so as I opened it I said "Oh look everybody! My mother gave me a sexy negligee for my wedding night." The incident was never again mentioned and although whe was again pissed that I registered for a baby shower (thinks its tacky,. HUH?) she rallied and gave an appropriate gift.
Barbara-Mom to be. due today

momathome
03-25-2003, 10:04 AM
Oh, my. Where to begin! When I was pregnant with Liza 5 years ago, she insisted we were going to have a boy. She claimed she had a "vision" that our baby was a boy with lots of dark hair (not a big stretch, considering my DH and I both have thick, dark hair!). When I had an ultrasound and found out we were having a girl (yeah!), we told MIL. Her reaction - "Oh, you are most certainly having a boy, the ultrasound was wrong, you'll see once that little boy is born!" Elizabeth Liana was born February 3, 1998, very much a girl! She then claimed she was right all along because her visions are always wrong! She also very much favors my SIL's kids over my own. Case and point - we went out to lunch with her, my SIL and her two kids, and my girls. While we were there, my MIL, who knows every waiter and waitress in town because she eats every meal out, was introducing the grandkids to the waiter. She told him, "They're all good, but Zack is my favorite!" Zack is my nephew. This comment was made in front of all 4 children. This is the same woman who has mirrors on the ceiling of her bedroom, something she felt the need to both tell us and show us when she did this 2 years ago (now there is a "vision" I didn't need to see!). Ugh, I could tell more but I think I would need my own forum to go into all of the nasty things she has said and done.
-Lauren

MartiesMom2B
03-25-2003, 11:38 AM
Being the spiteful b*tch that I am I wouldn't call them. Aaach the nerve of you MIL!

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

MartiesMom2B
03-25-2003, 11:52 AM
Which sin to discuss first? First of all you need to picture my MIL. I think I've said this before, but she a combination (the worst traits)of George Costanza's mother from Seinfeld and Ray's mom from Everybody Loves Raymond. She has a very LOUD brooklyn accent too. Her good side is that she is generous.

Even though she thinks that I'm very adventerous to breastfeed my baby (didn't you know that I'm going to be the first person to ever try this?) I'll tell you about the great Baby Shower Fiasco. MIL decides that my parents and her should throw me a suprise shower in NJ. Why NJ, when I live in NC and all of my families and friends live in DC? I don't know, because she lives there. MIL decided to plan this b/c when she asked me when I was 4 months pregnant about a shower I said I didn't know who was throwing one, so to her that meant that my parents weren't going to throw me one. So after harassing DH for 2 months about the fact that my parents wouldn't call her back (even SIL called him and said Baby's are very expensive you need to call her parents about the shower), I find out that my parents were planning a shower for me anyway. So it did turn out well after letting my parents and MIL duke it out. I intervened during the wedding and declared I would not get involved during their fights while I was pregnant.

At the shower, MIL flaunted to everyone that she bought the baby shower and then she knew we really wanted to get our stroller and car seat. At the end of it she said (yelled) in front of everyone "did you get enough things to return to get your car seat and stroller?" and then my aunt gave us a generous check and she kept yelling "how much is it, how much is it". Aaaaahhh. DH will tell you that his mother is one of the reasons that we live in NC while she lives in NJ.

Sorry this is so long, but it's great to vent this out. I could write a book about MIL.

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

C99
03-25-2003, 12:26 PM
Lori,

Wow, this sounds oddly familiar -- only it's my husband's grandparents instead of my M&FIL. They couldn't come to our wedding, but I am supposed to spend money and time to drag my baby down to see them in FL? I don't think so!

C99
03-25-2003, 12:31 PM
Oh Paula's post reminded me of the worst thing my MIL said. I had gone to the doctor for my 32-week appointment and learned I gained 13 lbs in 3 weeks. I had lunch the next week with my MIL and told her how much I had gained. She said, "Yeah, I could tell that you were really getting bigger."

Gee, thanks.

Other than that, the only thing she did was to touch my bare belly one morning when I was staying with her from out of town. I was maybe 2 months pregnant at the time so I was totally not showing yet. Made me feel v. self-conscious.

parkersmama
03-25-2003, 12:32 PM
And tell her that your doctor said that you haven't been gainig enough weight so it's a medical necessity! That ought to shut her up!

Rachels
03-25-2003, 05:48 PM
This whole thread makes my jaw drop. Don't worry, lovely mamas. Your MIL has just been all bent out of shape ever since that twister dropped a house on her sister...

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

zen_bliss
03-25-2003, 06:06 PM
rachel, you just made me laugh so hard i choked.

this thread is a hall-of-famer. a friend of mine once portended that weddings (and, this clearly extends to babies, too) brings out the worst -- and best -- in people you *thought* you knew.

etwahl
03-25-2003, 06:12 PM
MIL is here right now and insists on holding Lauren ALL the time. I've actually let her quite a bit, because she's leaving tomorrow, but there was one instance where I had to draw the line. My friend was over, and MIL was holding Lauren and said "I'm going to show you how I can go to the bathroom while holding her..."

I said "UH...NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and took her right away.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

mharling
03-25-2003, 07:34 PM
I laugh at people (including my MIL and yours) who think that WE have control over this. The comment I got was, 'Could you just start having SOME pains?' Yeah sure, let me get right on that (oh, but I have to call TJ Maxx first).

Mary
EDD 4/5/03

jojo2324
03-25-2003, 07:45 PM
Oh girls, how dreadful! I must say, I am laughing a little bit reading these...I don't have any stories of my own to contribute (DH's mother passed away a few months after we started dating), but my mother does have her way of making me feel like an idiot. Luckily, I am past the teenaged angst, so I can laugh uproariously at her.

Hmmm, here are a couple things off the top of my head...

1. Any time she buys me any clothing or gives me any clothing, she warns me not to give it away. "I know how you girls are, I know that you give all of these clothes away." I don't, and I have no idea how she came to this conclusion. Oh, and at the end of every conversation or note she writes me, she says, "Don't spend money." EVERY time.

2. She only yells. She is a chef, and the kitchen she works in is very loud, so I have to give her that. But to have a normal conversation with her is nearly impossible.

3. She just recently emailed me a recipe for some roasted chicken. I have copied and pasted the PS remark:

P.S make sure my grandson stay far from the HOT OVEN!
Poulet Roti aux Herbes de Provence.
Bell & Evans or Perdue are best.

No kidding! He's not supposed to play near the oven? When it's hot? She says little things like this all the time. :D

atlbaby
03-25-2003, 07:58 PM
Joanne,

Lucky you--Shawn *and* your mom are chefs?? That must be neat to have such great cooks in your family!

Ladies, I am horrified reading all of these MIL stories! At least it sounds like the DHs are horrified too, and run interseption when possible!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
#2:) EDD 10/24/03

Andrea S
03-25-2003, 09:07 PM
I just hope I am learning something and will not make a list like this when Andrew gets married. :)

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

MartiesMom2B
03-25-2003, 10:42 PM
Andrea:

Bingo. I've been thinking the same thing as I read these. Must remember not to act like like MIL so my children don't move far away from me.

Actually DH & I have talked about moving to Europe and one of the pros was that we'd never have to see his mom again. LOL

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

JulieL
03-26-2003, 12:13 AM
The sin set against me has to come with a little background first. Instead of it being committed by my MIL it was committed by my Stepmom. So when I got married 4 years ago, I promised my bestfriend who was my maid of honor that she could throw my bridal shower. She bought things for the shower, invitations, decorations etc..., when I find out through my dad that my SM was intending to throw me a surprise shower. Ok, did she tell my then finance?, no. Did she tell the maid of honor, no. So how was anyone sappose to know??? Well when I found out, I was furious because I had already promised that task to my BF. It was nothing but stressful to me because both gals were ticked off at each other. Making me caught in the middle of something I should have nothing to do with really and should be fun, right??? We ended up having two showers. So I find out I am pregnant. I talked to my DH how I didn't want to go through the same whole ordeal again. So I called my SM and told her that I would like for her to throw the baby shower along with my BF. The cover up for real reason of my call was that since my BF was in her senior year of college that I didn't want her to feel stressed about throwing a party alone. True but not the real reason. The thought was that having two would help the amount of duties to be distributed, and no surprise party delema. So my SM calls my BF, I asked her to, and they decide that my BF would be in charge of games and would bring a dessert. I call my BF to snoop and was glad all was going smoothly, aahhhh everyone is happy. NOT SO FAST!!! A few weeks later, and later than when I told my SM to send them by 2 weeks, I receive the invitation in the mail (for my scrapbook). I open it up, and what does is say??? You are invited to a baby shower hosted by Holly and Jill. This is my SM and my STEP SISTER!!! My step sister by the way is my same age and had nothing to do with the plans. She just doesn't think in that kind of helpful way. I gasp, what, where is Erica's name??? I look again, and again. I can not believe my eyes. What was my SM thinking??????????? I call my BF, she is furious. And so was I. Being pregnant and pissed off is not an attractive thing!!! I called my dad and vented for half an hour or more. I talked to my SM told her how upset I was. What did she say??? IT WAS A MISUNDERSTANDING!!! That she didn't know my BF was co-hosting, since I said she was busy with school!!! What, what was she talking about. She actually talked to my BF about the party!!! Well I told my SM to call my BF and appoligise. She did and a year later things are patched up. But I still get all frizzeled up about it when I think on what happened. Just shows you that you can't always make things go a certain way even if you stick your head WWWAAAAAAYYYY out there to try to make them. Well that's my story!

-JulieL
mama to Anthony 3/23/02

newbelly2002
03-26-2003, 03:03 AM
Tried that. It doesn't work. All it means is that the visits are LONGER (try 2 weeks at a pop), not less frequent. I thought the same thing when I began agitating to move back to Europe.

Paula

barbarhow
03-26-2003, 10:33 AM
Oh my God! I love it. And could you take those flammable materials away from him? And I wouldn't let him chew on those electrical cords either!!
Every phone call my MIL says to me..."Chin up". Chin up????? Where has my chin been I'd like to know???

Oh and can we have the recipe for the Poulet Roti aux Herbes de Provence? Sounds awesome.

Barbara-Due 3/25/03 and waiting....

dogmom
03-26-2003, 10:52 AM
I wouldn't say my MIL committed a cardinal sin so much as remain clueless throughout my pregnancy. She kept asking questions that made my DH and I think she had never actually been pregnant. She is the only woman I know that can't give any of the following information: how much her son weighed when he was born, what time of day he was born, how long was the labor, etc. She stated once in passing that she had "natural" childbirth in 1962 in a suburban hospital outside of Boston. I found this interesting since my mother was knocked out against her will in 1965. I double checked, yes she insisted it was "natural". I checked with my friend, who was head of L&D for years and years. She said the only way my MIL had "natural" childbirth in 1962 at that hospital is if she gave birth in the parking lot. I would hope she would have remembered that.

Our favorite line from the pregancy is after one of my OB visits she asked, "Can they tell how much hair he has?" Yeah, let me get the ultrasound tech right on that and we'll give you a hair count.

Oh, she did keep insisting she wanted to be in the waiting room while I was in labor. My DH waited until morning to call and the head was crowning so we would be in no danger. Then she didn't come to the hospital for a day and a half, and when she did come she brought 3 people with her when I had made it clear to everyone I WANTED NO VISITORS.

Jeanne
Mother of Harvey
1/16/03

Rachels
03-26-2003, 11:23 AM
:) :) :)

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

MartiesMom2B
03-26-2003, 06:05 PM
Paula:

I'll have to inform DH, that the visit would be longer. She came to visit last November and on the third day we were ready to boot her out. Can't imagine spending 2 weeks with her - I don't even know how I'm going to take the 1 week that she's spending with us after the baby is born.

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

jojo2324
03-26-2003, 11:12 PM
My mother's English is not the best, so please forgive her mistakes...It was really good, and Gannon came out of it all unscathed! :D

Pre-heat oven at 350-375
Dry chicken inside out.
6 sprig of fresh thyme
1 whole head garlic
1 med. onion
1 lemon
3-4 bay leaves
any left over herbs i.e basil, tarragon, rosemary
olive oil
Dijon mustard

Salt and pepper in the chicken cavity
Squeeze all juice from the lemon, add the skin and pulp into the cavity with all the herbs, onion, garlic cut in half.

Save the juice,save some crumbled thyme.
Brush mustard all over chicken, salt and pepper, crumbled thyme.
Drizzle olive oil and pour lemon juice over chicken.

Put the c.in oven, after first 20 minutes, baste cooking juice over the c.
Turn the c. after 40 mins, baste after 10 mins.
Turn the c. back after 20 mins,
Total cooking time for 3-4lbs bird is approx. 1 1/2 hour.
All depends on the oven .
To check a fully cooked- not dried Chicken is by twisting the leg.If it is movable....... it is done.
Add: You may add Root Veg. cut in chunks i.e Parsnip, Potatoes,
Onions, Rutabagas, Sweet Potatoes,Carrots.,by first tossing them in olive oil and season well with salt.
Add them about half hour after the Chicken.
Save the cooking juices, removed the C. and veg.
Put the pan on the STOVE..... add little butter or olive oil and little stock or water to make a quick sauce.

P.S make sure my grandson stay far from the HOT OVEN!
Poulet Roti aux Herbes de Provence.
Bell & Evans or Perdue are best.

barbarhow
03-26-2003, 11:20 PM
Joanne - thanks for the recipe-it sounds awesome and I'll make it soon. Maybe tomorrow! Barbara

jojo2324
03-27-2003, 11:55 PM
Oh my goodness, I made it tonight and I came thisclose to eating the whole darn bird myself. DEEE-LISH!! It was so good, I am quite impressed with my mama right now. And yes, Gannon managed to steer clear of the hot oven. Don't know *how* I managed that one! :D

Melanie
03-28-2003, 04:14 AM
1- The night that we announced we were PG, she made the topic of dinner conversation pregnancy weight gain and how "they say" you shouldn't gain more than X lbs. She gained 19 lbs and 20 lbs. (yeah, she's like 6 inches shorter than me!).

2 - Acting like we were going to harm our baby by having it at a birthing center and telling us over and over about a friend of theirs and her emergency c-section story.

gravymommy3
03-28-2003, 05:15 PM
Oh where to start???

First, I am amazed that my DH even approaches the definition of normal considering his mother and his father. They are total buffoons!

His mother is the emotional type who simply cannot control herself. She and his father has been divorced since he was a toddler and they cannot get along. We elected not to tell her we were going to Vegas to get married (we elected to have my mother and stepfather and his father and grandmother go with us.) That was in 96 and she is still ticked about that. Get over it already. It was my wedding and I simply did not want a 350 lb blubbering idiot at my wedding. She constantly tells me what a piece of dirt my DH is because he won't go over and cut her grass and kiss her (well, you know!). He works 50+ hours a week, has three kids and his own grass to cut, etc. She has been threatening to move to FL. for 3+ years now, and finally, last month, moved. The bad part about that is, she waited long enough for my oldest two to get really attached to her and then she moves. Grrr!

His father is a soical retard. Our last child was accidently born at home and he asked DH if he chewed through the umbicial cord - what a jerk! DH won't even go out in public with him anymore because he always embarrasses him. DH certainly won the parent lottery.

IF MIl calls one more time and asks, "Is everyone ok?" cause she can't think of a real reason to call, you all will be reading about it in the paper...

Thanks for the free therapy - I feel much better already :)

zen_bliss
03-29-2003, 03:53 AM
I want to hear about Amy's "last child accidentally born at home"!

MartiesMom2B
03-29-2003, 10:44 AM
Amy:

It does sound like we have very similar MILs. Except MIL got a gastric bypass surgery last December, and likes to compare the fact that she's sick and can't eat all the time to my morning sickness that I had. Yeah right, whatever. Oh she also called me to tell me that she was mad at DH & I for not calling her more often and told me what a bad son he is (mostly b/c we moved to NC and can't visit her so much in NJ). Grrrrrr!

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

gravymommy3
03-29-2003, 12:09 PM
That is what happens when the first two are induced and you have a trial of false labor with #3 and the nurses at the hospital make you feel like a total idiot. One nurse said, "I knew you weren't in labor - you weren't hurting bad enough!" Well, four days later when the contractions started again, I was determined not to do the false labor thing again, so I waited. Contractions never were regular - they would be 10 mins apart, then 2 or 3, then back to 9 or 10. By the time I really got a clue that it might be the real thing, I had enough time to call my parents to come watch my older two, wiggle into some clothes (had been in the tub trying to relax) and get down the stairs. A nasty contraction hit me as I was on the floor trying to get my shoes on and my water broke. DH was on the phone with 911, yanking my shoelace out of my shoe and trying to get my blue jeans off at the same time. Little miss I-can't-wait-to-be-born arrived about 45 seconds later right there on the kitchen floor. The paramedics didn't get there until 10 minutes later. It was very surreal. Oh well, at least it wasn't false labor!!

And Sonia, your MIL sounds a lot like mine. I feel for you. Just stand up to her - the worst (or maybe best) that will happen is that she will get po'ed at you and not come around or call for a while.

Hang in there.