PDA

View Full Version : Newspaper article on postpartum depression

smomom
03-24-2003, 12:40 AM
My home newspaper, the KC Star, ran a feature in today's paper about postpartum depression and the work that two mothers have done following the suicides of their own daughters due to pp depression. It's a really touching article if you have the time to read it.

I hope this link works.....

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/living/5414147.htm

khakismom
03-24-2003, 11:08 AM
Completely OT, but I live in KC too. Where are you? I am in Overland Park.

On topic, such a sad story, but one that needs to be told so others can get help.

...Maureen

Mom to
Kathleen 3/22/01
Baby girl 6/12/03

kapow
03-24-2003, 11:53 AM
That story also ran in the Chicago Tribune a few weeks ago. It's so very sad, thankfully their mothers and other women are speaking out. I know the landmarks of the story (the hotel, the El stop) and it's just so sad.

KathyO
03-24-2003, 05:16 PM
It does a good job of showing the ease with which this problem can fall through the cracks of the medical system. Up here in Canada we had a woman step in front of a subway train with her baby a couple of years ago. Both died. The kicker that really brought home the gravity of the illness is that she herself was a psychologist. It was a horrible story, but I think it really shocked a lot of people into realizing that even the people who know all about it can be destroyed by postpartum depression. There were a number of research projects and support services started up in the wake of this tragedy. Hopefully this article will help do the same.

KathyO

megsmom
03-25-2003, 02:12 PM
So sad and very scary too. That is the thing I am most frightened about with my next pregnancy. I was at high risk for PPD with my first pregnancy and thanks to a very loving and supportive family who recognized my rapidly disintegrating behavior as a serious medical problem, I got the help I needed early. I'm sure that early intervention made the difference with me and wish it could have with those two poor women. :( I do think awareness is building, but there really is still a void in the health care system for treating and diagnosing this and other mental illnesses. I just thank God every day that I am here and able to be happy and enjoy my wonderful daughter.

Jen
mom to Meghan 7/13/01