PDA

View Full Version : Today is the first day

newbelly2002
03-24-2003, 05:00 AM
of *hopefully) the rest of my writing life!

We found someone to come in and take care of Dante three mornings a week so that DH and I could both do our respective work and the freelance job we have taken on! Although in theory it should have worked that one watched DS while the other researched and vice=versa, it never did. DS would wake up early/have a dr's appt/need something and the whole day ended up getting pushed back.

After months of little to no progress on either part, we finally bit the bullet and agreed (DH felt that DS was still too young for in-home care on a regular basis. I said 12 hours a week at 8 months old would be good for him==DS not DH). Through the leader of my playgroup I found a young woman who spent 2 years in ENglish speaking countries as an Au Pere (much more expereince than I had expected!). The bummer is that she's currently looking for an office job so we have no idea how long she'll be with us.

And somehow knowing I am paying for the time has pushed my derriere into gear to not futz and waste time but to really really write (well, with teh exception of this post because I am just so excited!). I LOVED having a routine this morning and feeling that I was getting ready for work--coffee on the run, breakfast in the office, and a kiss to my little muffin to let him know that I'll see him in 3 hours.

Sorry this is so long. I just feel whole for the first time in months and wanted to share!

Paula

sntm
03-24-2003, 10:42 AM
Excellent! I think it will be good for Dante too.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

twins r fun
03-24-2003, 02:40 PM
That's great Paula. Sounds like an ideal situation (for as long as this lady can stay). I'm sure Dante will love it and look forward to her coming even. And you will feel great about getting something done!

Nicoel

egoldber
03-24-2003, 03:32 PM
Congrats! Working from home sounds so ideal, but in reality it is VERY tough! And I agree with others that it will probably be good for Dante as well. I know that Sarah adored our sitter (who is now out of the country until the end of April and I miss her dreadully :( ) and actually gave me ideas of things to do differently with Sarah!

HTH,

mamahill
03-24-2003, 03:59 PM
Congrats! Sounds like a great set-up. And a happy mommy = a happy baby. I'm sure Dante will be great! Yay you. Looking forward to reading your work. New York Times Bestseller list, here you come...

side note, do you write fiction? I think that was what your bio said... Any particular kind you favor?

newbelly2002
03-24-2003, 04:37 PM
I like the made-up kind. :)

I lean toward the magic realist but I think that's because real-life bores me. Now let's only hope that the new person wore out DS enough that he'll sleep through the night. Ever since we came back from the States he has started middle-of-the-night waking again.

And you're right, Sarah. Happy mom does = happy baby. I've been positively glowing all day!

Paula

LisaS
03-24-2003, 04:57 PM
Help is great - its the best gift I ever gave myself - I have a nanny for 10 hours a week - combo of part-time work and errands that I just can't do w/DD. I come home feeling like a new woman and believe I am a better mother b/c of it.

FYI - coming back to Europe from the states is not a fun re-adjustment. It usually takes my DD a good 10 days - 2 weeks to get back on track.