PDA

View Full Version : How much to offer a mother's helper?

nigele
03-24-2003, 12:56 PM
I am planning to find a mother's helper for a few hours a week. I plan to be in the house while the helper is here, trying to catch up on housework, etc. What hourly rate do you think is fair to offer?

TIA!

C99
03-24-2003, 01:57 PM
Well, it depends on where you live, but I'd probably offer at least minimum wage and prob. more like $8-10/hr.

twins r fun
03-24-2003, 02:34 PM
Is it a teenager or adult? I think you can get away with paying a teenager less. We pay teenager babysitters $10/hour (which I think is ridiculous). But that is for two kids and we usually end up with 2 sitters who split the money. If it was one child, I think we'd pay $7. I wouldn't think it would matter if you are in the house or not-it's still the same amount of time they are giving you. Also we are in a high cost area so you might be able to get away with less.

Nicole

BTW, love the new picture!

newbelly2002
03-24-2003, 04:05 PM
We just started with one today. Yeayy!!! I agree that it really doesn't matter (to the sitter) if you're there or not, you are paying for h/his time. Childcare is pretty cheap over here and FWIW we offered our MH 6 Euro an hour (12 hours a week). She has 2 years Au-pere (pair?) experience, Red Cross certification and is about 30 years old.

Good luck. It was amazing to be able to write without worrying about DS for a luxurious 3 hours today (and I only checked on them once. Well, twice. I sent DH out once to check for me).

Paula

LisaS
03-24-2003, 05:04 PM
I was a mother's helper from the time I was 12-14 for a family with 3 little boys. I worked there 3 afternoons a week. The mom would usually be home doing housework, cooking, bills, etc - I never thought it was weird.

Now, this was 14/15 yrs ago...I got paid $3/4 hour. With inflation and all, I think $8 would be fair to pay a teenager. The mom I worked for was also very generous with gifts. An adult I think should get $10.

I actually think if you're going to be home - having a teenager is sometimes better than having an older person - as they will really play with your child differently than someone your own age will. I remember thoroughly enjoying running around the backyard with the boys. I also remember changing diapers and feeding bottles, but mostly, we played. I became very close with the family and became their regular weekend babysitter as I was older as well (and then got paid more abt $6/hour)