PDA

View Full Version : Lily has RSV

ddmarsh
03-24-2003, 01:23 PM
I'm just home for a quick shower from the hospital, but really wanted to write mainly just so people could hear our story and maybe be aware of what to look out for. I had always heard of this virus but never really knew what it was, now unfortunately I do know. She came down with a deep cough last Thursday and we took her in to be checked on Friday, our ped said it sounded like some kind of bronchial irritation but to watch her. Saturda night she was up all night but it still only appeared to be a bad cold - extreme cold symptoms. By Sunday afternoon she had stopped eating and had extremely labored breathing so I took her to the ER last evening while DH stayed home with our boys and she was admitted. She has been *so* sick and it has just broken my heart that someone that little (7 weeks) can be so sick and you can do very little to help since it is viral. I held her all night and she would fall asleep for a few minutes and then start struggling to breath and wake herself up crying, all night long. She'll be in at least until tomorrow and already today she seems a bit better and they are starting to cut back the oxygen and hoping as she starts to eat again she can get off the IV (I couldn't look when they were putting it in her). Anyway, thanks for listening and sorry if I've rambled. Please say a prayer for her if you can.

Debbie

nitaghei
03-24-2003, 01:29 PM
Debbie,
I am SO sorry to hear about Lily. Hopefully she will get better soon. Neel ended up in NICU when he was 4 days old, and he had an IV and assorted other lines and catheters put in - so I truly empathize. It is hard - but Lily won't remember any of this. (At least that's what DH said - who needed cranial surgery when he was 5 months old).

Praying for you and Lily.

Nita
mom to Neel, 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

jojo2324
03-24-2003, 02:08 PM
Debbie, I am so sorry! I know how tough it is when our little ones can't seem to catch a breath. You just feel so helpless. I am glad Lily is getting better, and I hope that she is home soon.

atlbaby
03-24-2003, 02:09 PM
Oh Debbie, I'm so sorry to hear Lily has been so sick!! It must be so hard to see her so uncomfortable when she's such a tiny baby! I hope she continues to get better today and can get off the IV soon. DH is an ER doc and has been working in the Peds ER this month and just yesterday was saying that he'd seen a propensity of babies with RSV in the past few weeks, certainly more than last year. Apparently it's been a bad year for RSV. :(

I hope Lily feels better very soon and can come home!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
#2:) EDD 10/24/03

todzwife
03-24-2003, 02:11 PM
OH Debbie! I am so sorry! Sending Hugs and prayers!
Shandelle :)
EDD 10/25/03

twins r fun
03-24-2003, 02:44 PM
Sorry to hear about Lily. Wishing you guys the best for a quick recovery. And like others said, she won't remember and the memory will fade quickly for you, too!

Nicole

SASM
03-24-2003, 03:20 PM
Debbie,

I am so sorry to hear about Lily's condition and your frustration. I will definitely say a prayer for you guys. Please take care of YOU. Hopefully next year she can have a vaccination for RSV ~ in the meantime, good luck and may she have a quick recovery.

Shirale
03-24-2003, 03:36 PM
Oh Debbie- my heart goes out to you and little Lily...I hope she has an extremely speedy recovery...poor baby...You guys are in my prayers.

newbelly2002
03-24-2003, 03:56 PM
Here's another set of wishes and healing vibes for little Lucy. Glad to hear that she's getting better and I hope she makes it home soon.

Paula

nigele
03-24-2003, 04:36 PM
Debbie,

I am so sorry to hear about little Lily. You are all in our thoughts. Hope she gets well soon!

nohomama
03-25-2003, 12:47 AM
Lola had RSV a few weeks back but it tends to be more serious in young infants, like Lily. Even still, it was AWFUL and I really feel for you.

Take care of your little one and yourself,

sntm
03-25-2003, 11:40 AM
She's always sounded like a healthy little girl, so she should pull through all of this fine. I've taken care of several babies with RSV and they usually just require some supportive care until they fight it off. Will be thinking about you both! Hang in there!

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

Annette_C
03-26-2003, 12:05 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you and Lily. I hope she gets better soon so that she can come home to her loving family.
Good luck and God bless,
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

ddmarsh
03-26-2003, 08:22 PM
I don't think I've ever breathed as great a sigh of relief as the moment we left the hospital this evening. This was definately the greatest injury/illness scare I've ever had with my children. Thanks so much for the good thoughts/prayers, I really appreciate it!

Debbie - grateful and relieved mom to Lily :)

atlbaby
03-26-2003, 08:50 PM
Debbie, I'm so happy to hear Lily is back at home now!! I was thinking of you all, and was wondering how she was doing today. This must have been a horrible scare! How is she doing now?

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
#2:) EDD 10/24/03

COElizabeth
03-27-2003, 01:43 AM
So glad Lily is home and on the mend!

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

mharling
03-27-2003, 02:36 AM
I'm so happy for you and Lily!!

Mary
EDD 4/5/03

gravymommy3
03-27-2003, 02:38 PM
I am glad Lily is feeling better. We had four kids in our neighborhood with RSV last year that ended up in the hospital. One was 2 weeks old, one was 4 weeks old (and a preemie to boot) and the other two were my girls (the little one was 12 weeks at the time). She only had to stay three days, but my oldest had to stay eight days. It is scary. Be prepared for every cold to be hard on her for a while. But take heart, it does get better with time. Good luck to you.