PDA

View Full Version : Sunglasses solution?

Karenn
03-24-2003, 07:32 PM
I couldn't decide on the right forum for this question, so I decided to go with the all-purpose lounge. We've actually had a couple of sunny days around here, and I'm realizing that Colin's eyes are very sensitive to the sun. I'm trying to find a way to shield his eyes in the car, but haven't come up with anything that works. We tried the baby sunglasses, but of course, he pulls them right off. I've also tried the roller shades, but I never seem to be able to get them placed just right so the sun doesn't shine through. I've thought about trying to find sunglasses with the little curls around the ears, or straps across the back, but don't know where to look. I've also thought about a hat with a wide brim that I could strap on. We have the safety 1st window shade. Is there another brand that works better? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

August Mom
03-24-2003, 07:38 PM
One Step Ahead has a couple of styles of sunglasses with straps. As for hats, I like the sun hats at Baby Gap. They have a pretty wide brim and a chin strap with velcro fastener. I can't help you with the window shade. I always have a gap too.

brubeck
03-24-2003, 08:08 PM
We have a thing I purchased from One Step Ahead that is essentially a flat circle on a moveable arm. It clips onto a carseat (or other car part) and you use the moveable arm to shade the baby's face with the flat circle. This worked really well for us until my daughter got to be old enough to pull it off her seat.

Old Navy makes great infant/toddler hats with straps that have velcro attachments. You could also try baseball caps if you wear them and baby enjoys 'looking like you'.

egoldber
03-24-2003, 10:03 PM
I would try the hat route first. Start with hats early and often if you want your babe to keep them on as a toddler! The only type of hats that Sarah will tolerate are the ones with the velcro chin strap. Target had great ones last year for only $3. I bought one before we went to the Caribbean a few weeks ago at an OshKosh outlet and it was $8.

HTH,

parkersmama
03-24-2003, 10:59 PM
I agree with Beth 100% on the hats! I started with sun hats when my kids were babies and now they are just about the only kids I know who will keep them on. I always use the sun hats with the wide brims and the bucket-type hats now that they are older. Although a baseball cap might work better in a carseat (no uncomfy fabric bunched up under his head) they are not good for out & about because they don't protect the neck.

I never had any luck with the sunshades for the windows either. Those things pretty much ended up in the trash!

nigele
03-25-2003, 11:01 AM
Karen,

Firstly, I love Colin's picture - what a cutie!

As for the sunglasses, we are currently struggling with Tom to get him to wear his new regular eyeglasses so I know what you are going through. I asked his pediatric opthalmologist if we should get him sunglasses and his said not to bother - he said they found it is extremely difficult getting babies to keep them on. Since it would cost another $300 to get a pair of sunglasses with his prescription, I figured I wouldn't bother. His eyeglasses have the loops that curl around his ear and they hardly do any good - he give his glasses one good tug and they come off anyway. I asked the optician about getting a strap that hooks around his head but they no longer recommend them since they are a strangulation hazard. SO - I have decided to get him a wide brim hat to protect his eyes from the sun!! I saw a cute one in the Hanna Andersson catalog and might just spring for it (with a matching outfit, of course!)

HTH,

Karenn
03-25-2003, 09:01 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I think I'm going to be shopping for a summer hat. He tolerates his winter hat with a chin strap pretty well, so hopefully he'll take to a summer one easily. Besides, I love a good excuse to buy more clothes!