PDA

View Full Version : Nicole-what's the update on Jacob & Caleb???

JulieL
03-24-2003, 08:15 PM
Nicole,
You and your boys have really been on my heart. Ever since you posted a couple weeks back I have put your family on my prayer list. Have you had much time with a new therapist? How about the play groups? Have you tried them and have they been successful??? I would love to know the lastest!

-JulieL
mama to Anthony 3/23/02

twins r fun
03-25-2003, 01:04 AM
Thanks for asking! It's very kind of you to think about us and pray for us. For the last 2 weeks, we've had 2 special ed teachers from the county come out (one for each child) once a week. They are going to continue to do this. On Wednesday the speech pathologist is coming to do a "needs assessment" which will help guide the teachers and I on where to go. She's doing one baby this week and then we schedule another time to do the other baby. Then I think she's coming back every 1-2 months to check on their progress and update her suggestions. I love the teachers who come-they are so nice! The boys love them too, just start grinning as soon as they come in and are very comfortable with them and have been from the first meeting. And I have gotten lots of good ideas from these teachers-I have totally eaten my words about "what are they going to tell me that I don't already know" and am very humbled!

As for progress, not a whole lot yet. Jacob learned two new words the other day (doubling his vocabulary). They go along with throwing something which is his favorite activity. Before he throws he says "Ready?" (come out with no r and no d, but definitely as a question) and after he throws he says "whoa" (which comes out as o). It's so cute!!! Caleb seems to be regressing since he never even says the 2 words he knows now and won't wave bye-bye anymore either. I'm going to ask if this is normal. Both of them are slowly getting better at receptive language-I'm noticing a new phrase they seem to understand each week. And Caleb has started handing me stuff that he wants help with (as opposed to throwing himself on the floor and crying), which I think is a big step! I haven't been able to try the playgroup yet since the boys seem to be in a perpetual state of illness lately! Anyway, I am very pleased with the help we are getting and I'm glad that someone is monitoring their progress. Thanks again for asking!

Nicole

egoldber
03-25-2003, 09:28 AM
Nicole, I'm glad that you like the teachers and that Jacob is much such progress! I'm sure Caleb isn't far behind!

And I know what you mean about eating your words. Within a few days of following the suggestions of the therapist we saw, Sarah was taking more steps than she ever had. I guess they are experts for s reason. :)

Take care and hope you have much continued success!

JulieL
03-25-2003, 11:39 PM
So glad to hear things are progressing. I may be wrong, but I wouldn't worry about Caleb to much. If you are changing his routine, and he is around new people he may just be internally adjusting. Also that is so encouraging that Jacob has learned new words!!! I told you special Ed teachers are just a the neatest people, talk about patience! Sorry your house has been plagued by sickness. It seems everyone is coming down with something or another. Well at least the winter is over, and flu season is done with! Keep us updated!

-JulieL
mama to Anthony 3/23/02