PDA

View Full Version : He's growing up too fast...I don't want to forget anything :-(

SASM
03-25-2003, 08:37 AM
Okay...I have to vent. My husband just doesn't understand. Ian will be 8 weeks old tomorrow. He is a completely different baby than I gave birth to ~ he no longer has the skinny little legs and tiny belly, his NB caps are no longer huge on him, he is no longer swimming in his 0-3 month sleepers, he is getting too big for his 30x30 receiving blankets. Oh...the list goes on and on. Where did my tiny baby go? He is starting to smile a lot and interact with us more. He is changing on a daily basis and I am so sad that today is the last day that he will be like this. Tomorrow will bring new surprises. Spending so much time with him causes my days to blend into one another ~ What day is today??? (Ugh!) I am so afraid that I will forget his "today" ~ his wonderful scent, his soft baby skin, his little coos and "conversations", his tiny (and not-so-tiny) cries, his tiny feet and hands, how he feels in my arms today...oh...this list goes on and on. I KNOW that he felt completely different in my arms 8 weeks ago ~ I can't remember!!! How can I get past this? As much as I "try" to document things (I don't always have the time), there is always something that I will miss...something that cannot be documented. Oh, how I LOVE his scent and feel. I don't want to forget my "baby Ian" and he will be "bigger baby Ian" before I know it. :-(

Thanks for letting me vent.

khakismom
03-25-2003, 11:15 AM
I totally understand how you feel. Each little period when Kathleen was a baby, I would say "this is my favorite time; I don't want her to change". But change they do, and I promise you, each other "favorite time" gets better and better. I should know--Kathleen just celebrated her 2nd birthday last Saturday! :)

Just enjoy this time--it does go fast!

nathansmom
03-25-2003, 12:33 PM
I so know what your feeling. I see him changing so fast. I was so good at taking pictures daily and somehow I've let it slip and am regretting it now. This could be my only child(not by choice) and its killing me how fast he's growing.

stillplayswithbarbies
03-25-2003, 12:54 PM
I remember that feeling and it's been 12 years for me. :) Taking pictures every day because he will never again be 3 days old or 6 days old or 2 weeks old . . .

And yes, every age and every stage is "the best time so far" and it just keeps getting better. My son is now 12, and I still look at him and say "this is the best age so far".

...Karen
Mom to Jake age 12 and expecting Logan Elizabeth or Garrett Logan, EDD March 21

tnfrench
03-25-2003, 01:31 PM
I'm so glad I'm not the only one! There are times when I'm nursing Liam in the middle of the night, and I look down at him and start crying because I start thinking about the fact that someday HE'LL have a baby, and he won't be my little baby anymore (my hubby thinks I'm nuts). Sometimes when we go to BRU and I see a newborn, I start to get misty-eyed at how long ago that seemed (Liam's almost 5 months old now). I enjoy him more everyday, but I keep thinking about the fact that he won't be a baby forever.... I guess we just have to remember to enjoy each tiny moment as much as we can! :)

COElizabeth
03-25-2003, 02:40 PM
I'm glad other people feel the same way! I was reading the thread on "cardinal sins of MIL" and the only thing I could think of was this. When James was a week old I was crying to DH about how the first week had gone so fast and I was afraid the next time I stopped to think about James growing up, he would be getting married! DH (who I am sure thought I was crazy!) said, "We have lots of time." A few minutes later my FIL called and started talking to me (he brought it up) about how I should really enjoy my baby because before I knew it he would be 18 and out of the house and I would wish I could do it over again. I said that DH and I had just been talking about this and that Tim had said we had lots of time, and FIL (who has 4 kids all a year apart) said, "That's what we thought, too." I'm sure he thought I was horribly rude because I didn't say anything - I was just standing there crying trying not to let him hear me! It was actually sweet and well-intentioned, but at the time I thought, "What are you trying to do to me?!" I guess it gives us insight into why many people are so excited to become grandparents!

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

Rachels
03-25-2003, 05:34 PM
Groan...I completely relate. I saw a newborn in a store today and got weak-kneed looking at those little stretches and sighs. But then my daughter pointed at the ceiling fan and giggled, and waved at a woman walkng by, and kissed my chin...I would not trade all of that in for anything. I agree that every age so far has been the best yet. I did love having a tiny baby. I miss it in some ways. But I love this, too.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

atlbaby
03-25-2003, 06:01 PM
Even though Arielle is not an infant anymore (nearly 17 months, my G-d! She's almost and adult!:) ) I think about this topic often. I think I've said this before, but I keep having these "revelations" (in quotes because it should be so *obvious*, but I can't seem to grasp it) that this baby I am carrying WON'T be Arielle. It makes me so sad, that although I will G-d willing have a newborn to snuggle and smell:) again, it won't be the same as my Arielle.

I feel this way particularly now since it's nice outside again, and I've been taking her to places that we went to over the summer and I keep remembering how she behaved then, and how much bigger/different she is now. But on the other hand, we went to the zoo again the other day and for the first time she *really* experienced it and had a wonderful time! She laughed and laughed at all the animals whereas before she had no clue we where we were. I'm trying to focus on this part of growing up...but it's hard, they change so quickly!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
#2:) EDD 10/24/03

nigele
03-25-2003, 06:45 PM
These are the things that make us forget the labor pain so we will want more babies!

Just try to video whenever you can - it is the quickest way I found as a new Mom to help remember these times. I so miss Thomas a newborn but everyday brings new surprises and wonderful memories to cherish.