PDA

View Full Version : Who should be invited to my baby shower?

alkagift
03-26-2003, 11:05 AM
The MIL sin thread had so many shower flubs that I wanted to air a question about showers...

I know this sounds like an obvious question, but for me it isn't. DH and I live in a big city where most of our family and friends do not. DH's sister (who is due 4/29) lives here, but that's it. To compound things, we are pretty introverted (read: hermits) and don't have crowds of friends.

Here's the situation--both of our offices want to throw a shower, which they will do and I'm sure they will be nice. Most of the people we know will be at one of those, because we mostly know work people (sad, I know). Our immediate neighbors have already given us gifts at a supperclub kind of thing. So, one of our close friends yesterday offered to throw us a baby shower and asked us for a list of people to invite. Who in the world would come?? DH's sister might, as long as she wasn't too miserable, but at this late date the shower would be within 2 weeks of her due date, so it's not likely that she would come. We could invite my family and DH's mother, but they live a minimum of a 6-hour drive from here, as do all of our old friends.

So, I can see all of these invites going out and two people showing up! Would it be better just to tell our friends that we shouldn't have one? Would our families and old friends feel bad that they didn't get to contribute to a shower? I don't care about the gifts but I love my friends and family and I don't want to hurt their feelings by either inviting them to something they can't attend or just not inviting them at all...help!

Allison
Expecting #1 5/27/03

COElizabeth
03-26-2003, 12:02 PM
We had a similar situation when one of DH's former colleagues offered to host a shower. He just thanked him and told him that my friends had already given me one. My family is out of town, too (16 hour drive!), and there was a shower where I grew up (that I didn't get to go to :( because of bed rest. If your family and friends in your hometown really wanted to have a shower, could they organize one there? I would talk to your parents and explain that you have received this offer but don't know if they or anyone else from your town would come. If it seems like few people will be able to make it, I think it's fairest to the potential host to let him or her know that you are already having work showers and don't think there are enough other guests for another party. With luck the person will offer to bring over food after the birth instead!

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

nathansmom
03-26-2003, 12:14 PM
My thoughts on the subject. My baby shower was given to me by some former coworkers. They asked me who I wanted to invite and I gave them a list of about 20 people. They also asked my mother who she wanted and posted an invitation at my former workplace. In all I had almost 200 people at my shower and didn't spend much time with anyone. I also didn't know several people that showed up. Let them know what you want you don't want what happened to me.