PDA

View Full Version : Lauren's 2 week appt...

etwahl
03-26-2003, 02:45 PM
Just got back from her two week appointment and she weighs a whopping 8 pounds 3 ounces and is 21 inches long (birth she was 7 lbs 6oz and 19.5 inches).

I guess I don't need to worry about her getting enough breast milk.

One thing I'm wondering is should I still continue with the one-sided nursing?

Also, the pediatrician said it wouldn't be too early to offer a pacifier. Should I? I'm so confused about this. Not planning to offer a EBM bottle for a while, so just wondering.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

egoldber
03-26-2003, 02:59 PM
Yeah!!! What a great job you're both doing!!!

Personally, if the one sided nursing works for you, I would stick with it.

And if she doesn't seem to need a pacifier, that's probably a habit you don't want to start.

HTH,

mamahill
03-26-2003, 03:14 PM
Way to go! You are doing great! I agree with Beth, if the one-sided nursing is working for you, why switch? Even though I offered both sides, sometimes Ainsleigh just ate on one and was finished.

The pacifier is a hotly debated issue. I, however, always thought I would give my baby one since I'd rather have a quietly sucking baby than a loud one (especially in church!). Unfortunately, this was another decision made by Ainsleigh. She absolutely hated them. Gagged every time. As she got older, she would gnaw on them a little, but mostly they are just playthings for her. They "pacify" her, but not in the manner they were intended;). Anyway, it's up to you. If you never introduce it, you never have to take it away. I keep telling myself it is one less thing for me to worry about later on...

etwahl
03-26-2003, 03:31 PM
I guess I'm wondering about those moments when we're out and (like today) was crying like crazy right after the ped's appt. When I put my pinky (pad side up) in her mouth (clean of course) that satisfied her for a while. I am wondering if it's times like this that would be good for her. But then again, she "tries" to find her hand and is sometimes successful. Should I just encourage her to suck her hand/thumb instead?

This is one area I'm just so not sure of.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

atlbaby
03-26-2003, 03:59 PM
Wow, what a great update!! Sounds like Lauren (and you!) are doing wonderfully! I agree, if one-sided nursing is working, then continue with it.

As for the paci, I wasn't planning on using one (or hadn't decided either way) but in desperation one day when Arielle was about 2-3 weeks old I gave it to her and she took to it. She also enjoyed her hand though:) (but didn't take to her thumb). I weaned her from the paci at 12 months and she never looked back. It's a personal decision really, but I'm glad your ped is alright with it should you decide to use one!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
#2:) EDD 10/24/03

Zansu
03-26-2003, 04:05 PM
We held off on the pacifier and let DS suck his thumb. It's much easier to keep track of. :)

We do keep a pacifier in the diaper bag to use as a distraction on airplanes, during religious services and at movie theaters.

I've always nursed on one side, alternating at every feeding. I found it helpful once I started pumping b/c I could plan when I was going to pump, based on when the productive side was due for its turn.

HTH
Suzanne
W&P for Benjamin 5/1/02

LucyG
03-26-2003, 05:34 PM
We didn't plan to use a pacifier, but have found it to be good for times like you described happening to you today. Everyone has their own opinion, of course, but if using one occasionally satisfies her need to suck and helps preserve your mental health, I think I'd give it a try. If she doesn't like it, she'll spit it out. At 5 weeks old, dd can launch hers out of her mouth if she's not interested. We'll deal with getting rid of it when the time comes, but for now, I'm not losing any sleep over it (no pun intended!).

Andrea S
03-26-2003, 08:22 PM
WOO HOO you two are doing great!!

We did the paci thing about 2-3 weeks we used our finger in situations like you described then he seemed to want to suck more and more and did not find his fingers so we gave him a paci and he loves it. It is something I would give if needed, but if she finds her fingers that is even better. We had about a month when we would have to get up and give him the paci several times at night now we just put 3 in the bed with him and he finds them unless he gets mad and pitches them all out of the crib.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

jojo2324
03-26-2003, 08:45 PM
Yeah!! I am so glad that you got such good news! WOW! She is quite a big girl...Well done mama! :D

My ped recommended the pacifier thing too. He never took one. I am not opposed to them, but certainly was apprehensive of long-term issues. Turned out to be for nothing. Occasionally now he will chomp on one, but like Ainsleigh, more for play than function.

Edited to say:

We always did (and still do) one-sided nursing. He never wanted the other side, despite my best efforts.

Annette_C
03-26-2003, 10:13 PM
Tammy, I'm so happy for you and Lauren! You girls are doing so well!!!
About the pacifier, I use it with Sabrina and it seems to calm her down. It also helps her with teething (she bites hard on it). I used it with my other two and never had a problem weaning them off it.
Like everyone else said, it's a personal decision and whatever works for you (and Lauren, of course).
You're a great mommy, you should be proud of yourself!
Keep up the good work!
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

parkersmama
03-26-2003, 10:59 PM
Just wanted to chime in with an "atta girl!" for you! Great job with Lauren...she is obviously thriving!! I know that must have made you breathe a big sigh of relief!

I agree with everyone else on the paci. I used them when we just couldn't stand the crying anymore and once the decision was made, life sure was easier! :-) Taking them away wasn't too hard. I wanted them to use their own hands but looking back I realize that might mean that my kindergartner would still be sucking his fingers or thumb. This way the paci disappeared and so did the habit!

daisymommy
03-27-2003, 11:23 AM
I'm not expecting Baby #2 for a couple years to come (I hope!), but am still taking notes in the hopes that breastfeeding will go succsessfully next time (one of my biggest regrets). Josh prefered one breast during our 1 month nursing period, but I always thought you had to do both during each session. Now that I see it could help with pumping as well by doing "one sided", maybe I'll try that if needed next time too. Could anyone email me with more info on this? (or post to another thread so we don't get too off topic here!)

Tammy--I'm SO GLAD for you that Lauren is doing well! It's amazing how baby's can thrive in the midst of chaos and stress, and be so oblivious to it all as long as they are loved & fed!

mama2be
03-27-2003, 02:47 PM
Tammy and Lauren,

I am thrilled for you gals!!! Such great news!!!! I knew you two would be a great team and do an awesome job!!!

Our thoughts are with the two of you!!!