PDA

View Full Version : HELP! BIG CONCERN ABOUT NIGHTTIME SWEATING...

etwahl
03-27-2003, 08:41 PM
Edited to say: Well I JUST WOKE UP and felt her back and it was all wet and sweaty again. Her cheek is still a little cool, but her back, where she is laying on, is all wet & sweaty (or at least the blanket is). All she has on is a little tiny onesie and then her swaddle (like a fleece sheet) blanket. The room isn't exactly cold, but I do have the window open and a air purifier on high (and I just turned the overhead fan on low), but it is california, and we are having a bit of a heat spell. So short of not swaddling her (in which case she probably won't sleep) what do I do? This seems like it will continue as long as I swaddle her? Using another blanket isn't really an option, since this is the lightest one I have, and actually the only one suitable for swaddling. Am I supposed to wake her up the second I notice this and change her into something else? Swaddling is the one thing that can calm her and let her sleep.

I'm concerned. Last night I had Lauren dressed in a cotton sleeper, swaddled in a flannel blanket (hospital one). When she woke up in the middle of the night, her back was wet with sweat. This is the first time this happened. The room wasn't overly warm or so I thought anyway. Normally at night I've been putting her in gowns and then swaddling her (no tshirt either) and that seemed good, but I was concerned after her being sweaty last night. She sleeps in bed with me.

She still has her cord, so I don't want to put her in a onesie, but what are my other options? I thought that was a good bedtime attire - her one layer of clothing and then the thin flannel blanket swaddled around her. Now I'm of course concerned about SIDS and her being over-heated. Could it just have been a fluke? As soon as I noticed this, I changed her into a gown (she was in a sleeper) and then didn't seem to be a problem the rest of the night. And this was the first time.

Also, I notice that I am sweating profusely at night. Is this normal? Could my body temperature be transferring over to her, making her extra hot?

Tammy
mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003

Annette_C
03-27-2003, 08:49 PM
Tammy,
Are you sure it was sweat and not urine? Many times (and especially with girls) you can have wetness from the diaper in the back (also because the baby sleeps on her back).
Was her head hot and sweaty also? If it wasn't, I would guess it was urine.
What's the temp. at night inside your house? That would be another way to judge how to dress her at night.
Sorry I don't have a better answer but JMHO.
HTH,

etwahl
03-27-2003, 08:51 PM
I don't think it was urine. Her head was sweaty.

The temp is usually pretty chilly in my house at night. Last night was warmer than usual though for some reason.

When this happened, I went crazy opening windows to try and get some air in there. I hate when I panic like this.

Tammy,
mommy to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003

COElizabeth
03-27-2003, 08:58 PM
Your sweating is normal. It's one of the ways your body gets rid of the extra fluid you accumulated while pregnant. For Lauren, could you just put on a t-shirt and the blanket? You could add socks if you think that's not enough. Or just try to keep the room a little cooler.

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

mama2be
03-27-2003, 11:39 PM
I too thought urine...it happened to us and I was convinced it was sweat and it wasn't...

BUT sounds like you witnessed sweat elsewhere so I don't know what to tell you. Tristan loves being swaddeled, but lately I too am concerned about over heating him.

Glad to know our night sweat are normal becaseu i too get so sweaty (and did right before delivery too)...

SASM
03-28-2003, 12:01 AM
Hi Lauren!

Can't speak about the girl's vs. boy's urinating "patterns" but I will say that I second Elizabeth. Trying dressing Lauren in a t-shirt (we have those side-snap ones that are GREAT!!), socks, cap, and then swaddle tightly. You could also try a different diaper. Good luck! :-)

egoldber
03-28-2003, 12:07 AM
I would try just putting her in a Tshirt and swaddling. If she's sleeping next to you and since you're hot and sweating (which is totally normal), your body heat might be warming her up too.

HTH,

Melanie
03-28-2003, 04:12 AM
You are both probably a touch warmer b/c you are sharing body heat. She's not wearing a cap, right? I had Ds in a cap to sleep much longer than was necessary b/c I didn't even realize they didn't need it past the first week or so. He totally overheated one night in a cap, sleeper, jacket and blanket in his car seat! Luckily he stirred, woke us, we responded and realized he was sweaty.

Everyone always seems to worry about babies getting cold when it's getting too hot which is dangerous!

Also, if the onesie is loose (which it probably is on a newborn), why not put it on yet?

Mommy to Jonah

Momof3Labs
03-31-2003, 10:03 AM
You said that she is wrapped in a fleece blanket - like polyester fleece? If so, that could just be too warm, especially if you are having a heat spell and don't have the air conditioning on.

You could make a swaddling blanket by cutting up a cotton sheet - t-shirt material works especially well. Or send someone to the fabric store for a yard and a half of lightweight cotton flannel.

Alternatively, can you turn on the air conditioning for her? It might just be too warm for her, especially wrapped in a fleece blanket.

etwahl
03-31-2003, 10:25 AM
sorry, i meant flannel, like a flannel sheet

My friends don't know what they're doing. At this point, I'd be willing to pay someone $1000 just to either a) make me some appropriate swaddeling blankets that are big enough, not really stretchy (why I like the flannel), and not too heavy, or b) point me to the exact spot where I can buy some that have all these qualities. Keeping in mind she is an escape artist. I swear she already knows how to do aerobics and can weasle out of the tightest swaddle.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003

Rachels
03-31-2003, 11:19 AM
Have you seen any of these?

http://www.miracleblanket.com/
http://www.greatbabyproducts.com/blanketswaddle.htm
http://www.huggabebe.com/
http://www.colichelp.com/shop/swaddleme.html

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

etwahl
03-31-2003, 01:14 PM
They all look sort of hot...which is my big concern. The miracleblanket looks good, but how do I know if it's too hot? For $40 I just want to make sure. Anyone have any experience with this one or any of these and know whether it's hot or not?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003