PDA

View Full Version : Why am I not hungry?

JMarie
03-27-2003, 09:00 PM
Did anyone else COMPLETELY lose their appetite after giving birth? I don't mean going from the six-meals-a-day-because-an-apple-fills-me-up to the standard breakfast-lunch-dinner. I'm talking absolutely zero hunger, not even wanting food at all, and actually feeling ill when you eat. I could go all day and not eat a single thing - in fact, I have been. I try to force myself to eat at least a little, but at most I'll eat a piece of fruit and a Nutragrain bar. I'm still drinking water like it's going out of style and I am not BFing, so DS isn't affected. Also, it's not that I'm drained from late night feedings and lack of sleep - DH does ALL of the feedings between 11 PM and 6 AM. I just know that I can't live on less than 300 calories a day, but I really cannot stomach food.

FWIW, I was anorexic throughout most of high school (gymnastics & cheerleading didn't help), but I don't feel the same way. There's no high, no rush - it's not about control this time. I really WANT to eat, I just can't...

JMarie
Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03

MartiesMom2B
03-27-2003, 10:56 PM
JMarie:

I know that my SIL lost her appetite, but it was for only a week. Have you talked to your doctor about this? Maybe they can help. I'm really sorry that you are in this situation and I hope this gets better. I bet this still might be psychological even though its not the same as when you had your eating disorder in highschool (this was a topic that I studied very intensly in college). I hope you get your appetite back.

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

C99
03-27-2003, 10:57 PM
Yep. I lost my appetite BIG TIME for the first 2 weeks post-partum. I was BFing, however, so I knew that I had to get it back quickly or we'd both suffer. I eventually went to Whole Foods and bought a bunch of stuff that sounded good and that started the turnaround.

Now, of course, I have the opposite problem. Hungry, but no time to eat!

Momof3Labs
03-27-2003, 11:35 PM
I had no appetite for the first couple of weeks either but was eating normally by two months PP. I would agree about talking to your doctor - it may be psychological, and it may be a symptom of post-partum depression. I don't know, but hopefully your doctor will help.

mama2be
03-27-2003, 11:35 PM
I actually felt like I lost my appetite a bit too...BUT when you say that you feel ill when you eat makes me think you should ask your DR. I wish I had more to say but as you know once you lose your appetite it's effects cant ake effect quickly...

Keep us posted...
Tristan says "HI" Aiden!!!!

kfcboston
03-28-2003, 09:43 AM
Oh my God -- I'm so glad to see this thread! I was knocked off my butt and TOTALY taken off guard by my absentee appetite and related nausea (I even got sick once) during the second week of Charlie's life. I was (and am) BFing, and while Charlie was growing like a weed (he started at 9 lbs. 3oz.s after all) I was whithering away! My DH and I started to get alarmed after a few days but my OB told us flu-like symptoms can accompany your milk coming in?? Anyhoo, it went away on its own over 48 hours or so after 4-5 days of total misery.

I hope you're feeling better! Hang in there......

Katie
Mommy to Charlie, 3/5/03

newbelly2002
03-28-2003, 11:13 AM
I know pain meds knock out the appetite. Are you still on anything, Jen? I kept hearing about how nursing mothers are famished constantly, but I really didn't get any appetite until well into the third month. And only by month five did I really start wanting to eat whatever you put in front of me. Again, you might want to check with your OB if the symptoms are lasting for a while.

Hope you feel better soon.

Paula

Rachels
03-28-2003, 11:13 AM
Given your ED history, it's worth checking in with your doctor. Your body has some practice at forgetting how to help you feel hunger in times of great stress. Even if this feels really different, it's important to keep tabs on it so that you don't lose touch with your body's cues.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

JMarie
03-28-2003, 06:21 PM
That's just it - I'm not even taking my meds for the IBS, let alone anything for pain. I was taking Tylenol Sinus for a couple of days, but that was early last week and this lack of appetite has been going on for almost a month. It's only gotten serious (not eating anything all day) the past two weeks. Other than this, I honestly feel fine - I certainly am not experiencing the blues and I've been exercising almost every day. I even have energy and I'm not sleeping all day. I really just don't know what is going on with this. I've called my doctor and he's just waiting for my high school doctors to send my old records, just to be certain I'm not falling back into my previous eating disorder. I'm trying to eat - I really am - but the few times I've attempted some semblance of a meal, I'm running to the bathroom after about ten minutes to get sick. I can't even keep a side salad down! My stomach doesn't feel upset, the IBS isn't acting up, and I NEVER threw up when I was anorexic. Starve myself, yes - stick my finger down my throat, no way! I just hope this ends soon...

JMarie
Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03

COElizabeth
03-28-2003, 06:26 PM
I'm glad your doctor is checking on things, but in the meantime, I wonder if liquids might be easier for you - like Instant Breakfast or Boost or Sweet Success? Not a complete diet, but they do have some nutrition. My Dad lived off Boost for a while after jaw surgery.

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02