PDA

View Full Version : Bruises

jojo2324
03-28-2003, 02:35 PM
What to do about them? How to diminish them? How to prevent them?

Okay, that last one is a stretch. A lot of DS's bruises occur when he is sitting. He just loses his balance and falls to the floor. But he does fall down a lot, especially now that he is pulling himself up on stuff. (EVERYTHING!) He has a particularly nasty one on his forehead, and it looks really bad, all brown and yellow.

Add to this his penchant for crawling underneath things, such as chairs, highchairs, legs, his exersaucer, and that he smacks his head up against the crib slats while he's sleeping, and the top of his head ain't looking so pretty right now either. Oh, then throw in the nice scratch on his eye lid (I JUST trimmed his nails!) and the fact that he's got a veiny head (he has one that just BULGES), and he's starting to look not so good. And he's pasty.

I don't want to be one of those mothers who is constantly lunging at her kids to keep them from falling, but at the same time I don't want people staring at me when we go out in public. We have all of the protective bumpers up on the coffee table and the fireplace. We do have hardwood floors, so I imagine that with carpeting the thuds wouldn't be so resounding. But we can't get carpet put in.

I guess this is all part and parcel of life with a boy. But I don't want him to look at baby pictures of himself a few years down the road and give me this weird look. Anything that can be done? TIA!

Andrea S
03-28-2003, 04:55 PM
I do not have any suggestions, but we are in the same boat. I keep joking around about buying him a helmet. Andrew does not have much hair so everything on his head shows up.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

brubeck
03-28-2003, 05:47 PM
Unfortunately it is very normal for kids this age to have tons of bruises. There will be even more when he is learning to stand/walk.

The obvious thing to do is put ice on it, but most kids writhe and scream at that. What used to work for me was to put a cold bottle/sippy cup against the bumped area. This can be enhanced if you also give the child something to drink. Bonus points if you can use the same bottle/sippy cup for both the bump and the drink (such as if baby bumps his cheek or bites his lip).

Other than that, it's just a phase. The good news is that as he gets better at moving around he'll get fewer bruises.

P.S. I will admit to a guilty secret: when I was getting my daughter's 1st birthday photos done she had a big bruise on her forehead. I whipped out the cover stick and you can't even tell in the pics. :-)

Rachels
03-28-2003, 07:30 PM
I hear you! We're considering a crash helmet, too. I give Abigail homeopathic arnica for bumps and bruises. I don't know if it helps or not, but it's something to do. Her bruises DO seem to fade extremely quickly.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

MomofConor
03-29-2003, 03:40 AM
This may sound odd but it really works....immediately put on a very thick coating of vaseline over the bump and it will prevent it from bruising!