PDA

View Full Version : Any Photo Tips for a Baby Who Won't Sit Still?

August Mom
03-28-2003, 06:17 PM
DS is 7.5 months old. He can sit well unassisted, crawls all over the place and can pull up. Since his birth, I have taken a photo of him each week in semi-portrait style. I set up my "studio" as DH calls it, by draping various colors of blankets over the back of a loveseat to use as backgrounds and sit in front of the large window with the best light in the house. I have gotten some really good shots. Anyway, for the last 3 or 4 weeks, DS will not sit still. I place him where I want him. Then, he goes down on all fours (but won't stay in front of the background in that position either. Then, crawls over to the window and pulls up on the window sill. It is a very frustrating experience. I can't get him back to a sitting position and get my camera lined up before he's off again. Giving him a toy helps somewhat, although then he looks down at the toy or puts it in his mouth. Any suggestions? Oh, and I'd like him to smile too. :)

brubeck
03-28-2003, 06:22 PM
I still have the same problem with my daughter (28 months) when I take her for 'studio' type pictures. She will just not sit stil. Honestly, the best pictures I have of her are when she is doing something candid. If he pulls up to look out the window, why not photograph that? It's a little different and might turn out really well.

If you have your heart set on the 'studio' photo, try using the timer on your camera. My camera will give off warning noises before it goes. When your camera gives off the noises, quickly put baby down where you want him and jump away. You might get lucky!

For my daughter's first year photos she would not smile so I had to pull out the big guns. I found that if I pretended to cough my lungs out she laughed and laughed. Well, it sounds stupid, but it worked! :-)

The bad news is that he might not grow out of it anytime soon. But you WILL learn to get around it.

August Mom
03-28-2003, 07:07 PM
No, no, no. That's not good to hear. It may be like this for years? :( I do take the candid shots as well (although the ones at the window are not very good because of shooting into the sun and a reflection on the window). DS does like the fake coughing thing. I'll have to try that during our photo "session" next time. He's getting to be a harder sell. All my past techniques aren't amusing anymore. The best I've done lately is singing Old MacDonald.

Karenn
03-28-2003, 07:34 PM
I don't know how you would photograph around this, but I've recently discovered that Colin will sit still if I put him in a laundry basket. I don't know why- maybe he thinks it's fun. I'm wondering if you could find some sort of cute, photo friendly "container" to put him in to take his picture? Maybe a wagon, or try the Anne Geddes giant flower pot route? Good luck and let me know if you find something that works- I try to set up my own "studio" every now and then too!

August Mom
03-28-2003, 08:00 PM
That's a good thought. I do have a series of cute photos of Justin in a rectangular basket that we use to store our newspapers. We got it at World Market (tons of baskets and good prices). I'll have to look for some "creative" containers. :)

egoldber
03-28-2003, 10:38 PM
When we have done this with Sarah, I find the best technique is to put a toy or toys in the area, let her interact with the toys and then I run around like a mad woman snapping about a hundred pictures (literally, gotta love digital) from all different angles as she does her own thing with the toys. Usually this gets me a few good shots. Once they are mobile, it's a whole new ball game. The days of posed shots are over for a long time!

The other thing that helps is to take a lot of pictures all the time. (Again, gotta love digital.) That way they get used to the camera flashing at them all the time and they just go about their business while you shoot away. And some babies do learn to love the camera and ham it up. And even smile. :)

HTH,

newbelly2002
03-29-2003, 03:45 AM
Yes, I've got a ham. Anytime the camera comes out he starts grinning foolishly. Then he comes lunging/crawling toward the camera reaching directly toward the unprotected lens--smiling to beat the band the entire time. Aacckk. I have some great monster head shots--especially in close-up mode.

Paula

Melanie
03-29-2003, 05:08 AM
I can totally relate! My gorgeous portraits came to a screeching halt when Ds learned to crawl. I have found that at a studio or someplace new he will stay put a bit longer until he studies his surroundings. Maybe try a friend or relatives house or a park or something of the like.