PDA

View Full Version : What else should I be doing with a 2+ week old?

etwahl
03-28-2003, 07:14 PM
Mostly what I do is nurse, hold her, occasionally put her in the sling, swing, bouncer (just once, today), diaper, etc.

Should I be doing other stuff at this point to stimulate her? At what point should I start doing other stuff?

I keep wondering if I'm missing out on doing something for her or like I should be doing more "with" her... I hold her all the time, but what I mean is should I be doing different things with her?

Tammy,
mommy to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003

brubeck
03-28-2003, 07:23 PM
At this age just existing is stimulating for her. If you happen to be holding her, talking to her, singing to her, etc. then she's getting all the stimulation she needs.

In another week or two you will start to see her first awake smiles. At that point you can stimulate her by looking into her eyes and smiling at her, and responding to her little gurgles as if they were real language. You could start this right now if you want.

Some babies enjoy staring at those 'developmental' black and white designs, but mine never did. You could try it though.

There's also tummy time, but that requres 100% supervision on your part. She should be able to lift her head a little already by now. Perhaps you can see it if she spends some time lying on her stomach.

Rachels
03-28-2003, 07:26 PM
You're doing a perfect job! You sound right on track. She'll wake up pretty soon. Do you get the Parentsplace newsletter? I find that helpful for what-to-do ideas.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

etwahl
03-28-2003, 07:53 PM
She's already seeming pretty alert and looking around these days. That's why I was wondering if I should be doing something else with her. Sometimes when I'm sitting down with her, she is much happier when I'm walking around with her, and she's looking around, but boy oh boy, that sure does get hard on the back after holding her all day. I'm exhausted!

I don't get the parentsplace newsletter. I'll go sign up for it right now.

Tammy,
mommy to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003

Melanie
03-29-2003, 05:06 AM
My baby loved movement as well. Do you have a sling, babytrekker or bjorn? You could take her for walks in that...get out of the house to the park or mall or something!

Tummy time is great for her...

Singing is always wonderful...Do you know any of the 'activity' type songs? 2 weeks might be a bit early for some of those b/c you don't want to overstimulate, but I think the "Mama's little baby a kiss can blow..." would be okay b/c you're not swinging her around or anything...

Mommy to Jonah

dogmom
03-29-2003, 09:52 AM
I had the same questions about two weeks. "Am I stimulating him enough? How can I stimulate him, I can't even get myself dressed! Is he losing and IQ point for every day I don't stimulate him?" I'd express these concerns to my husband who gently pointed out (1) I had just given birth (2) I was sleep deprived (3) He thought that the fact I was feeding him every two hours was work enough (4) the baby was fine and would let me know if he needed anything else.

I second the sling/carrier. They were hard on my back after a while since I had no abdominals left after the pregnancy. Two weeks was also the time I started putting my son in his Kick & Play bouncer. To start with he mostly just went to sleep in it when it vibrated, they he started looking at the light display and listening to the music. The he started grinning everytime the "blue star" lit up. It is now indispensable for me to eat/take a shower/make dinner. He actually "fusses" now for me to put him in his Kick & Play in the morning.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey 1/16/03

Melanie
03-29-2003, 04:02 PM
BTW, I didn't mean to make it sound like you HAVE to or you're doing something bad by not...it just sounded to me like you were looking for things to do.

>I had the same questions about two weeks. "Am I stimulating
>him enough? How can I stimulate him, I can't even get
>myself dressed! Is he losing and IQ point for every day I
>don't stimulate him?" I'd express these concerns to my
>husband who gently pointed out (1) I had just given birth
>(2) I was sleep deprived (3) He thought that the fact I was
>feeding him every two hours was work enough (4) the baby was
>fine and would let me know if he needed anything else.
>

nigele
03-29-2003, 04:10 PM
You are doing everything just fine! Ever since Thomas was born, I would sing to him and dance him around the room and he seemed to like it. It was (and is) calming to both of us.

lukkykatt
03-29-2003, 05:53 PM
Hello! I am new to this area. Usually I spend my time obsessing on car seats and strollers, lol!

I saw your post and wanted to say that it sounds like you are a wonderful and caring mother! I'd say that at two weeks of age it is probably stimulating for both of you just getting through the days and nights.

There is a really good book that I have used for both of my children called "The First Three Years of Life" by Burton White. It was given to us as a gift. We now give it to everyone we know when they have their first baby. It has all sorts of great info on the stages of development and what are the best things you can do with your baby at the different stages. The thing I like best is that much of his advice is very "common sense", and he encourages the use of alot of things that you probably already have around the house, instead of going out and buying alot of "educational" items. It has worked well for us.

I know time is at a premium for you right now. I used to read it while I nursed. And I only read the part of the book that dealt with the stage that DS was in at the time.

HTH!

momathome
03-30-2003, 11:14 AM
Hi, Tammy!
Just relax and enjoy your baby. She really doesn't need constant stimulation - sometimes this can stress the baby out! Just cuddling with her mama and getting some fresh air when the weather is nice is what will make her happy - enjoy her newborn time - it goes too fast! Good luck!
-Lauren

egoldber
03-30-2003, 11:33 AM
Just wanted to second the great info in the Burton White book. I also now give this book as a gift to everyone I know that's having a baby.

At this stage, just existing is sufficient stimulation for them! Just hold her and talk to her. :)

etwahl
03-30-2003, 01:19 PM
What if she really only likes being held "over the shoulder"? My arms get very tired and achey after a long time of this. She really doesn't like being held in other positions. Is this weird?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003

brubeck
03-30-2003, 01:24 PM
My baby is the same way. Try using the Baby Bjorn. It gets most of that 'upright' feeling and she can listen to your heart.

SASM
03-31-2003, 07:31 PM
Tammy,

We have a little book called "A Year of Fun for Your Baby" (ISBN:1.55254.013.8) which has been useful. We laughed when the pediatrician told us to have Ian sleep for only 3 hours during the day and entertain him the rest of the time ~ HOW do you entertain a 2-week old baby??? I still laugh at that advice but the book was definately helpful :-)

Oh...BEAUTIFUL sling!!! I want one :-)

ncadjan
04-02-2003, 09:22 AM
I know this was posted a year ago but if any new mother is looking at it, my advice is Get some sleep! The next several months are going to be long and hard and your baby will require a lot of you. Relax and do what your heart tells you. You have everything inside of you to be the perfect mother.