PDA

View Full Version : Another rude comment from a stranger...

nigele
03-29-2003, 04:18 PM
We've all had our fair share of rude comments from strangers but I wanted to tell you about one I got the other day. We were in line at McDonald's and I could see this guy looking at Thomas and could tell he wanted to say something about his glasses. He walked over to me with his five year old son and said, "Wow - a baby in glasses." He then proceeded to tell me that his doctor said his son needed glasses since his eyes were shaped funny. The father decided that his son's eyes were just fine and didn't need them. Here's the kicker: he looked at Thomas and said "Now, I'm really glad I decided we didn't get glasses."

I didn't know what to say to him but I have replayed his words over and over in my head and wished I had told him what a mistake it was for HIM to decide his son's eyes were fine. I have astigmatism, which is what his son probably had, and I wear glasses for distance. They really help - if I go to a show, images are much clearer for me and if I forget my glasses, I can't see much. AND, I want to ask him what the heck he meant when he said he was glad he decided against the glasses. What a jerk!

Annette_C
03-29-2003, 05:34 PM
Lisa,
I can't believe the nerve of some people!!!
Like he's a good father for chosing vanity over long-term benefits!! You should have told him that maybe his son didn't wear glasses (temporarily!!) as a baby but he'll be wearing them the rest of his life for not fixing the problem when there was still time!!
Please don't listen to ignorant people! Tommy looks adorable and he'll be a healthy, good looking child/teenager/adult because of the good decision his mom and dad made for him!
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

Rachels
03-29-2003, 05:56 PM
Oooohh, how tactless and stupid. I'm appalled on your behalf. And were the man's eyes not working, themselves? Tommy is empirically ADORABLE in his glasses.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Melanie
03-29-2003, 06:06 PM
That's ridiculous! You never quite know what to say to people who are SO out of line that you wouldn't have expected comments like that.

I had patched eyes when I was Thomas' age, and my mom got plenty of "advice" but no one was so RUDE!

Let's see...how about you could have said, "Well, luckily my son has parents who care more about his ability to see later in life."

COElizabeth
03-29-2003, 07:06 PM
Unbelievable! But you can hardly expect someone who has so little regard for his own child's health to be at all concerned about anyone else's health or feelings. We all know Tommy is adorable, and thankfully he is too young to understand the man's comment, I hope, so it won't have any effect on him. I feel sorry for that 5-year-old boy, though. He's the one who is going to suffer because of that horrible man.

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

blnony
03-29-2003, 07:49 PM
The first time I read this, I was so mad I couldn't even think of anything to post. I can't believe that someone could be so rude and insenitive, much less a parent. I actually feel really sorry for his child. What a @*!%#@^!!!!
Lisa, do not take what anyone like that says to heart. Tommy is a precious, adorable, handsome little fella! Who can see good now! How much better could that be?
But I am glad to hear that you all are doing well. And, as a side note, I love Tommy's new picture. I personally think he looks like he belongs in a Baby Gap ad!!

MartiesMom2B
03-29-2003, 08:24 PM
Lisa:

I can't believe what stupid jerks there are out there. I can't believe that people feel that they have a right spout off whatever comes out of their mouth. I don't know what I would've said if someone said that to me. I'm sure I would've come up with something good the next day though. You certainly don't need me to tell me that Tommy is cute with his glasses.

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

dd_ani
03-29-2003, 09:04 PM
Well, obviously the man is blind. Otherwise, he would see what a beautiful, handsome little guy Tommy is. (I was just telling DH what a cute guy Tommy is today, actually, as DD was pulling off my glasses....)

Michelle

sweetbasil
03-30-2003, 12:50 AM
Sounds like that man was the one who needs glasses- Tommy couldn't BE any cuter! I'm sorry someone had to say something that unkind, Lisa. Imagine how stupid he must make himself look on a regular basis...and that poor little 5 year old who is stuck with hearing that kind of crap!

mharling
03-30-2003, 01:44 AM
I am also dumbfounded that someone could make a comment like that. It's just as pathetic that to this day he thinks he made the right decision for his son.

We all know, as well as you, that Tommy looks absolutely adorable in his glasses!!

Mary
EDD 4/5/03

nigele
03-30-2003, 11:18 AM
Thanks, everybody! Actually, I have been thinking a lot lately about comebacks Thomas can say when he is older if people say anything mean about his glasses. Just kidding, of course, but here they are:

- At least I can see what a jerk you are.
- My glasses give me super powers - I can see through girl's shirts!
- I'd rather have four eyes than no brain.

Hee, hee. His old Gran in England told me if anybody picks on him, she will come over here and beat them up. Isn't that cute?

Anyway, thanks for all your sweet comments - you guys are the best!

Rachels
03-30-2003, 12:59 PM
VERY good! I could have used you in middle school! :)

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

spu
03-30-2003, 01:29 PM
I feel bad for the guy and his kid! hopefully he hasn't done any permanent damage to his kid by not getting him glasses.

Tommy is such a doll! I'd love to scoop him up! He's such a cutie-pie!!!

We need to have a section on these boards for awkward/rude comments and how snappy come-backs so we're all prepared! haha!!

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else

mharling
03-30-2003, 01:56 PM
Along the same vein....
My brother and SIL just adopted a daughter from Korea. My brother said that one of his co-workers looked him straight in the eye and said, "It's too bad that you're infertile and couldn't have another one of your own." My brother said they weren't (which is none of this guy's business anyway) and this guy was completely dumbfounded.

My SIL has mentioned many posts on the international adoption board she frequents in regards to rude comments and snappy come-backs. If any of you are like me, I'd think of the perfect comeback the next day.

Mary
EDD 4/5/03

P.S. Lisa - I like to comebacks you came up with, especially the first one. :7

:7 :7

mama2be
03-30-2003, 02:26 PM
AHHH the perfect come back!!!!

The man was CRAZY!!!! I've decided I am putting busy bodied know it all to the test and not putting up with thier crap...we do need a quick whitty thing to say to these moroms....and they are morons!!!

Thomas is adorable!!!

nigele
03-31-2003, 02:34 PM
Yes - a comeback section would be great! Yes, I do think of perfect comebacks the day after the rude comment - and that makes me so mad!!

jojo2324
03-31-2003, 03:46 PM
That guy must have had dung for brains. What an idiot! And how callous! I cannot believe what people say...It's beyond me how these people have no filter at all on their mouths. And obviously he is the dumb one because now his child is sure to face a lifetime of trouble with his vision. Little comfort because it's the poor boy who faces the struggle, not his idiot father. And OF COURSE Tom Tom is the cutest with his glasses! HE is the one who has problems with his eyes!

parkersmama
03-31-2003, 11:23 PM
What a complete and total jerk!! I can't believe someone would say that. It does sound like you're taking it well and not too personally. But, of course, you (& we all) know that Tommy is an absolutely adorable baby both with and without glasses!! Since you probably wouldn't want to insult someone else's child (sinking to their level) you could say, "Well, I'm certainly glad we DID get him the glasses so he'll be able to spot jerks like you a mile away!" All said with a sweet smile, of course! LOL!

mamahill
04-01-2003, 02:01 PM
I am choking with disgust. The nerve! What a jerk. I would have retorted, "My son may need glasses, but at least he doesn't need a manners check!" And honestly, I just melt when I see little kids in glasses. Thomas is adorable. That guy is a moron.

wendy03060
04-01-2003, 04:03 PM
In this day and age when we see children with braces on their legs and feet, babies with helmets to help correct the shape of their heads and kids in all varieties of abilities, shapes and sizes it's hard to believe guys like this are still out there.

I think a hearty slap on the back and a, "It's ok, Buddy. I'm sure you'll get it right next time." would have been in order. Or maybe pat his kid on the head and say, "I'm so sorry, Honey." Or inquire as to exactly who gave him his pass to go out for the day. Ok, maybe that'd be too much. Here's hoping you encounter some of the rest of us who think there is nothing sweeter than a baby in glasses and parents willing to do whatever necessary for their children from now on!