PDA

View Full Version : baby hiccups

stillplayswithbarbies
03-30-2003, 01:27 PM
Logan gets the hiccups and then she gets mad and won't/can't nurse. She is 5 days old, is there anything I can do to help the hiccups go away? I've been holding her over my shoulder and patting her back like to burp her but I can't tell if that is helping or not.

Thanks in advance for any tips

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

August Mom
03-30-2003, 01:34 PM
Sorry, no. They'll eventually go away on their own. When Logan is older, she may be able to nurse while she has the hiccups and that will help the hiccups go away more quickly.

mama2be
03-30-2003, 02:29 PM
my ped assured me they are totally normal!!!

I am amazed at how Tristan seems unphased by them, when I have the hic cups I go crazy, he doesn't seem to notice...but he gets them after eating I think, so it does not effect his eating at all..

mcmorfit
03-30-2003, 03:49 PM
Congratulations on Logan first - what a cute baby!

I'll agree with the other posters - there is really nothing you can do to help them go away. However, Lucy used to get them too when bfing, so I would take her off the breast and walk around with her, singing calming sounds. That seemed to help with us.

Good luck!

Shirale
03-30-2003, 11:49 PM
The only thing that seemed to help Amira with the hiccups was either nursing or taking her pacifier. Somehow the sucking calmed her. She used to get them in utero all the time, and strangely enough she still gets them! :-) Enjoy the cutie pie!

beckyr88
03-31-2003, 02:42 AM
Just wanted to add that Stella is the same way...the hiccups would interfere with nursing a few weeks ago (way back when! :) ), but now nursing seems to help get rid of them.

I would continue what you're doing--trying to burp her--that's what I would do--just gotta wait it out!

Hope that helps!

calmar
03-31-2003, 07:11 PM
I have found that Baby's Bliss gripe water is wonderful for getting rid of hiccups. It only takes half a dropper full. Your daughter may be a little young for this yet but keep it in mind for the future. It also works wonders for gas.

stillplayswithbarbies
04-01-2003, 12:22 AM
Thanks everyone. The pediatrician said they are common at this age and just to wait it out. Neve, you are right, the babe just lays there like it doesn't seem to bother her at all. Except she won't nurse until they are gone. I go crazy when I have the hiccups.

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03