PDA

View Full Version : air travel

sarahok
04-01-2003, 11:05 PM
Okay--am I just insane or what? My mom and I are taking my almost three year old and 10 month old across the country to see my grandmother. No--Dad is not going. We're trying to figure out logistics. Car seat rental is $5 a day, added to the cost of the rental car, each, so we're contemplating taking mine. We have to buy a ticket for my toddler anyway so we thought about buckling his booster in and either checking the baby seat if the plane is full or using it if we can. I know we should buy the baby a ticket, but this is expensive enough as it is. Any thoughts? I think we're going to rent a minivan there, so I wondered if any car rental companies rent vans with integrated child seats. I know I can call the car rental companies, but I thought I would see what you people could tell me first. Thanks!!

sarahok

brubeck
04-02-2003, 12:56 PM
I just survived a trip across the country (one connection each way) with a 28 month old toddler and a 3 month old baby. We bought a seat for the toddler, but not for the baby.

We have a Sit N Stroll, which while not great as either a carseat or a stroller is awesome for going through the airport, onto the plane and off. This way we did not have to lug a carseat too.

We rented a carseat for the baby at our destination which was $20 per week. Some places do charge by the day instead which is more expensive (as you say, $5 per day = $35 per week). You can look where you are going to see if there are any baby rental places. Check the yellow pages on the Internet (BigYellow or some such). Baby's Away is a national chain but they have closed a lot of locations lately. If you find a rental store you would be able to rent carseats, strollers, Pack 'N Plays, high chairs, etc.

FYI, in my 3 experiences with Enterprise, they have never charged for the carseat even though they say that they will when I make the reservation. Don't count on this, but it's something to consider!

I've never rented a minivan because it is SO expensive! My husband and I have found that we can get away with an economy car as long as it has 4 doors. I make them put 'four doors' on the reservation so if they don't have that kind of economy car available they upgrade us for free. It's up to you if you want to live with a smaller car while you're gone.

Also, bring your own locking clip because most of the rental car companies have a hard time discerning between a rear-facing and a forward-facing carseat, much less finding a locking clip for you. And make sure your reservation says REAR-FACING carseat or you will get some forward-facing only seat.

It's okay to go without your husband as long as you have an extra person to help with the kids. Since you do (your Mom) I don't think you're insane at all, but just be aware that it is stressful! And leave extra time for security since it takes FOREVER to go through with kids.

These are off the top of my head but you can email me if you have more questions.