PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous Warnings on Baby Products

August Mom
04-03-2003, 12:58 AM
I am in the process of assembling my new InSTEP Safari TT stroller. (I can't wait to try it out! :)) Anyway, in reading the instruction manual, I came across some pretty interesting warnings. This one is my favorite: "Never place child in stroller with their head forward and feet rearward." Huh??? Who would do such a thing?

Anyway, being a lawyer, and a civil litigator nonetheless, I know that some attorney told InSTEP to put that warning in the manual. And, even worse, there probably is some case out there where some caregiver actually put a child in the stroller backwards/upsidedown. Yikes!

I thought it might be fun to see what other interesting "warnings" you've come across.

Edited to add: I found another helpful hint in the use section of the manual: "Warning: Always remove child from stroller before folding." Gee, I'm glad I read the whole manual. I was thinking of keeping DS inside the folded stroller in the trunk. :)

August Mom
04-03-2003, 01:33 AM
Now I have myself intrigued. The manual for the Combi Deluxe Easy Glider high chair is still out, waiting to be put away, so I picked out my favorite warning for that product as well. Overall, the warnings issued by Combi made sense. However, this one caught my eye: "Do not use on steep slopes, stairs, escalators, beaches, mud, etc." Darn, I was all set to take the high chair to the mall, but now I can't use it on the escalator. :(

Kate888
04-03-2003, 08:26 AM
LOL!!! It's so funny! Never realized these manuals can be so entertaining :D

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02

Hallie_D
04-03-2003, 12:05 PM
This was not a printed warning, but I think it is ridiculous enough to share. When DH and I went to buy a nursing stool, the store was all out of the Medela one we wanted--except for the display. We asked if we could buy it, and were told we could not...not because they needed to hold on to the display, but because they couldn't find the box and "instruction sheet" so we wouldn't know how to use it.

Imagine the looks on our faces...DH said, "Aren't the instructions '1) put stool on floor in front of chair, 2) sit in chair, 3) put feet on stool'?"

After a little more negotiation with the manager, we were able to convince them that we could figure out the complicated directions ourselves, without the help of a manual.

twins r fun
04-03-2003, 01:41 PM
How do you put a child in a stroller with their head forward and their feet rearward? I know babies are flexible, but that's a bit much!

I like the printed warning in the basket of the Kolcraft universal carseat carrier. I can't remember the exact wording, but something about never using the basket to carry a child. Darn it all-none of us would have to be buying double strollers if we could just place our second child in the basket!

Nicole

mamahill
04-03-2003, 03:08 PM
My favorite was when I was trying to figure out how to fold my new Bertini and the first step in closing the stroller is: 'Remove the child from stroller.' Silly me, you mean I *CAN'T* fold her into the stroller? Guess I'll have to go get me one of those fancy safety chairs...

The sad thing is that they HAVE to put that kind of stuff in...

newbelly2002
04-03-2003, 05:16 PM
This doesn't match the hilarity of the ones you have mentioned, but it gets points for...well,for something.

In the folding portion of the stroller instructions for my Z-Street (Quinny over here), it said

1) Open release catch
2) Fold stroller

Now if I knew how to do that, why would I be looking in the instruction manual?!?

Paula
Mama to Dante 8/1/02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b33a3c3de467

Thatchermom
04-03-2003, 07:00 PM
Although not a warning, our favorite is on DS's one-piece, solid plastic wrench from Little Tikes. Molded into the side is "For parts or service call 1-800..." I've always wanted to call just to see what kind of service they offer for a piece of plastic.

August Mom
04-03-2003, 10:38 PM
Paula,

I just wanted to tell you how adorable Dante looks in your attached photos. I especially like the bad hair ones. :) He's getting so big.

jubilee
04-03-2003, 10:46 PM
Scary enough, just days ago I saw a lady with a toddler in the stroller and a little baby in the basket- just inches from the ground! She was "smart" enough to be trying to avoid strolling through puddles since I'm sure the baby would get soaked. I wanted to call the cops, it was shocking.

August Mom
04-04-2003, 12:53 AM
Wow. That's the sad part of these warnings. Someone is stupid enough to actually do these crazy things. A baby in the stroller basket? How comfy and safe.

twins r fun
04-04-2003, 12:58 AM
Obviously her stroller did not carry the same warning as mine! I'm sure if she had KNOWN you weren't supposed to put your baby in the basket, she wouldn't have done it!

Nicole

newbelly2002
04-04-2003, 01:33 AM
Shucks.

Yeah, he's got hair to spare. DH is quite jealous.

And speaking of self-evident things: My FIL asked me over the phone last night, "Is Dante still growing?" Because he caught me in a mood, I actually told him: "no, he's stopped. Reached his full potential at 8 kg. I hope the other school kids won't make fun of him." Zoikes. He's 8 months old--of course he's still growing!

ANd thanks. He still seems small to us, but yes, he's turning into a little boy.

Oops, gotta go rescue him from the heater he's scrambling towards...

Paula

Mama to Dante 8/1/02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b33a3c3de467