PDA

View Full Version : Transition to Daycare

cara1
04-04-2003, 10:00 AM
We'll be moving in July, and DS will be starting daycare. He'll be 17 mos old at that point. Up until now, he's been taken care of only by my in-laws while I'm working. I'm so nervous about this transition. When we went to visit the center yesterday, all the little toddlers were asleep at "naptime" on little mats on the floor. How in the world will I get him to do that?? He has had no nap*time*. He naps when he's ready. Given that MIL and I each have hectic schedules, this has always worked for us. He takes 1-2 naps a day, but usually from falling asleep in the car (or nursing if I'm with him on the weekend). And on the floor? And that's just the beginning. I don't know how he'll handle this. He's really in his separation anxiety phase; gets upset when I leave the room. Does anyone have any tips on how to ease him (and me) into daycare???

Rachels
04-04-2003, 10:51 AM
He'll probably do fine with naps after a few days, actually. I used to work in a preschool, and everybody napped like pros-- even the babies who wouldn't consider such a thing at home. He'll also be on the tail end of the stranger anxiety thing, developmentally. Can you spend a week easing him in? Go spend a few hours a day there together, then leave him for a short time only, then build up. Even if it's very tough at the beginning, my experience was that kids all adjusted and napped and started to enjoy themselves within a week to ten days, even those that were totally miserable at first. You can also reassure yourself by talking to the teachers. Knowiing that they'll snuggle and comfort him will help your anxiety, too.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

khakismom
04-04-2003, 12:58 PM
My DD was 16 months the first time she went to a childcare/school setting full-time (previously it had been 1 day a week). I agree that DS should be on the tail end of the separation anxiety, but it will probably be hard that first week. It depends on how adaptable your child is too. My $.02 is to send your DS to school with his blanket, favorite stuffed animal, another blanket--anything that is "home" to him. This should help with naptime. My DD sleeps with 3 blankets at school now--1 to lay on since the cot isn't the most comfy thing in the world, and 2 blankets to sleep with.

...Maureen

Mom to
Kathleen 3/22/01
Ellen EDD 6/12/03

cara1
04-04-2003, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the suggetions. Rachel, I was figuring he'd be finishing up with the separation anxiety by then, so that's reassuring. I plan to go in with him for the first few days. Maureen, he hasn't really attached himself to much at home (except the binky, and I'd hate to start sending him to daycare with that!). Plus we're also moving, so memories of "home" may not be the same. I think this may be harder on me (and my MIL of course)...