PDA

View Full Version : massage therapist attending labor/birth?

sweetbasil
04-06-2003, 12:28 AM
So I've been getting occasional prenatal massages for the last few months, and plan to do so (as long as it's ok w/my OB) until delivery time. My (certified) massage therapist has attended dozens of labor/births over the past few years, and says that it makes delivery more comfortable (sounds good) and recovery easier/shorter. Even for her clients who ended up w/c-sections, they felt their recoveries were eased by the massage while in labor. So has anybody done this before? I didn't have any extra help besides family there for my labor w/DS #1, and he ended up being a c-section delivery anyway. But if it looks like I'm progressing in the end and might try a VBAC, I wonder if this would be worth it. Any thoughts? I have yet to ask her rate for this service (and probably don't *really* want to know the answer!) :)

TIA,

Rachels
04-06-2003, 10:23 AM
I did it! It was worth every dime and then some. Mine was also a certified doula, and I am absolutely certain that having her there helped me avoid a surgical birth. Even my skeptical DH is a major doula convert.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

KathyO
04-06-2003, 02:41 PM
A friend of mine did it too, and like Rachel, was VERY happy she did. I didn't, but Lord knows I'd have been sunk without DH massaging my back until his hands nearly fell off! I say why not?

KathyO