PDA

View Full Version : AVATAR IMAGES NOT SHOWING??? RED "X" IN BOX

mama2be
04-09-2003, 05:26 AM
Lately I am noticing several posts where there is no picture where the avatar images are, vs just nothing there meaning they don't have one. I am noticing a square with a red "x" in there. Should we be notifying eachother if we see that, is it something that the poster needs to be made aware of maybe a glitch. I am noticing it more and more and want to make certain folks are aware if their pics are not showing up...
Anyone know about it...it might be on my end, but I see most...
I'm not technical so didn't know...

flagger
04-09-2003, 06:26 AM
Because they are hosted off-site, sometimes there can be net traffic that can cause them not to display. If you do not have a copy of their avatar in your computer's cache, you will see the dreaded red x.

Sometimes the syntax used by the person who sets the URL for their avatar is not entered correctly (You can tell by right clicking on the red x and going down to properties) and sometimes from where one has linked their avatar has disabled hotlinking to save on bandwidth and it will not display here.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to send them an email or post in a message of theirs.

momtoemma
04-09-2003, 08:34 AM
I know that my avatar image isn't working. I've had dh working on this, and we haven't been able to get it to work so far in spite of meeting all the requirements I've seen in various posts. I haven't had problems getting pics to show up on other (non-related) message boards, so I'm not sure what the problem is. I'm going to show this message to DH tonight again, but I am aware that mine isn't working.

Thanks,
Stephanie

mama2be
04-09-2003, 08:52 AM
Flagger I knew you would know!!!

So it sounds like these folks don't don't we can't see them...or atleast that I can't see them, does that mean when they are reviewing their post that they can see them on their end???

I'm so not technical so your paragraph was way over my head but am certain it oculdn't have been said better...and I hope it will help them to fix them...I want to see folks babies!!!

I will start a list of ones I can't see...but again do they know automatically does it show on their end???

flagger
04-09-2003, 10:20 AM
I'm going to show this message to DH tonight again, but I am aware that mine isn't working.
>
>Thanks,
>Stephanie

Stephanie Put this in the box

http: // www.hmsneo. org/ebaypics/smemma.jpg

Without the spaces. Just note that it is hard to see her in that pic.

flagger
04-09-2003, 10:22 AM
Neve,

It can show on their end because the image is still in their own browser's cache. If they use IE, and do a Shift-F5, it will reload the most current image or lack thereof.

So yes it is possible they do not know their image is not showing.

twins r fun
04-09-2003, 11:19 AM
I know mine isn't showing-just haven't gotten around to fixing it! But I'll remove the bad link I have so it doesn't irritate anyone! I've been leaving it there so I remember to fix it (obviously that plan isn't working).

Nicole

mama2be
04-09-2003, 11:22 AM
one handed peck here...
if i post whose i don't see is there a poss that someone else can see them...or is just the poster seeing them...does that sense,,,

momtoemma
04-09-2003, 01:12 PM
testing...The only difference I could see in what I had typed in the box was that the slashes were going opposite directions! I hope this fixes it now. If the pic doesn't show up well, I'll have to take a better close-up.

Thanks for the help!

mama2be
04-09-2003, 01:48 PM
Actually Nicole you and Jennifer (JMarie) were the ones I had noticed it on...I didn't know if you all were aware thus didn't knwo if someone needed to tell you...

If it reminds you I'd leave it up...I'm eager to see pictures!!!

flagger
04-09-2003, 02:14 PM
I would post the ones that you do not see after looking at a couple of threads. Sometimes mine will show a red x even though the link is correct just because of net congestion. Sometimes I can refresh the page and it shows up!

momtoemma
04-09-2003, 08:18 PM
another test for change of image - ignore

momtoemma
04-09-2003, 08:24 PM
trying again...sorry for the multiple posts.