PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with a head cold while nursing? UGH...

etwahl
04-12-2003, 03:56 AM
I hate to give the "oh woe is me act every day..." but really, haven't I suffered enough? I am now fighting a head cold, and because of my history of severe sinus problems, colds usually hit me like a ton of bricks. Nice.

So, now I need advice as to what over the counter cold medications I can take while nursing e.g. nasal sprays okay? tylenol cold & sinus? anyt other recommendations?

Also, is this going to affect my milk supply? With the elimination diet I'm on, do I need to address any other concerns?

And will Lauren also get a cold? If so, how will I deal with it? I did notice she was warm today and I took her temperature - rectally it was 99.0. Do you think she already has the cold since it's so high?

Any advice regarding this would be greatly appreciated. I can't believe this is happening to me now!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003

addiemae
04-12-2003, 08:02 AM
Hi Tammy,
Sorry you don't feel well. It's going around I guess.
My pcp thinks I may have strep and has started me on penicillin. She told me plain sudafed was ok to take for my ears. I went in for sore throat and an ear ache. As far as milk supply and any of that I have no answer for you, and am intersted myself. The sudafed helped me alot already.
Emily seems fine so I haven't taken her temp.
Emily's Mommy,
Annie

flagger
04-12-2003, 08:08 AM
Tammy,

I am so sorry you are now feeling down. Actifed and Sudafed are on our list of OK medications for Ms. Flagger to take while pregnant. Have no idea of their affect on milk supply.

At some point Lauren is going to get a cold. Maybe not this time around, but unless you know of some immune deficiency in her body she will just have to be exposed to your cold. I am of the school of thought that believes kids need some exposure to bad germs (within reason) for their bodies to build up their own immunities. Remember as you are BF'ng you are already passing on your own antibodies to her.

That being said, remember NORMAL body temp is 98.6. 99.0 is NOT high but merely slightly elevated. our philosophy will not to call the ped until hers is 100.5. If you are in doubt, call the ped. Remember they work for you and that is their job to provide answers to first, second and even fifth time mommies!

Lots of hugs your way from Ms. Flagger and I. This time shall pass all too quickly.

Momof3Labs
04-12-2003, 08:29 AM
Tammy,

I'm sorry that you aren't feeling well, and, yes, you have suffered enough! But you are stronger for it - I know that!

As a general rule, anything that dries your nasal passages will also decrease your milk supply. Probably not to a dangerously low level - nothing that couldn't be fixed by lots and lots of nursing - but you might want to check with your doctor (OB) before taking something like Sudafed. Saline nasal spray is safe. Watch your water intake and make sure that you are getting plenty of fluids - that will help maintain your milk supply - and get plenty of rest, too.

The good news is that by nursing, you will pass the immunities that your body is building up on to Lauren. So there is a good chance that she won't get the cold if you just keep on nursing her as usual. Of course, it helps to keep your hands clean and not sneeze on her - common sense little things.

And regarding rectal temps, remember that rectal temp measures one degree higher than the rest of the body - so if her rectal temp is 99 degrees, her body temp is 98 degrees (versus normal of 98.6 - so it sounds like she is fine temp-wise). But colds don't usually produce a fever, so that isn't a good indication of whether she has caught your cold or not - you probably want to watch her breathing for the most part.

If Lauren gets sick, you can use saline nasal drops and the "snot baster" (thanks, Joanne) but that's about it. Of course, don't hesitate to call your pediatrician about anything - that's what they are there for.

Hope that you are feeling better soon, and that Lauren stays healthy!

sweetbasil
04-12-2003, 08:29 AM
Tammy,
I'm so sorry- and you've definitely been through *more* than enough. My allergist told me to stick with nasal sprays more than pills as much as possible, as they're much more directed to the problem and don't reach the baby quite so much in pregnancy- then he said the same is true for nursing; the same lists of no-no drugs for pregnancy supposedly held true for nursing. I've used Chlor-Trimeton and Sudafed (both on my doctor and LC's "okayed" lists) during both pregnancies and while bfing DS#1, and that has always helped. I hope you're feeling better soon!

Big hugs,

Rachels
04-12-2003, 08:34 AM
Lauren should be fine-- lots of good antibodies! You can take decongestants-- they're safe, but they may reduce your milk supply. If you take them, drink LOTS of water and also take Fenugreek, eat oatmeal, etc. to help keep your supply up. When I've had terrible colds, I've saved the decongestants for nighttime, when I need to be able to rest. Feel better!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

emilyf
04-12-2003, 08:35 AM
Oh yuck, colds are the worst. I think sudafed would be ok but I would avoid anything with an antihistimine-too bad b/c I love those when I'm sick, but I think it could impact your supply. As far as Lauren's temp, I think babies are often a little higher than adults- Charlie's is always over 99 at the dr's office (for routine visits).
Don't forget, she's getting your antibodies, so she may not even get sick. I had a horrible cold when I delivered Charlie, and he never got it. Have some chicken soup, a long hot shower and take care of yourself!!!!!!
Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02

momathome
04-12-2003, 12:34 PM
When you are taking a rectal temperature, you actually need to subtract a degree to get a correct reading so it seems like Lauren is doing just fine! I hope you feel better soon - it's tough to take care of a baby when you are feeling miserable your self. Don't worry too much about Lauren getting your cold - she's getting antibodies from you while you are nursing. Last year, I had a terrible stomach virus, puking in the bathroom every hour, and even though my dh and then 4 year-old got it, too, 1 year-old Kasey nursed right through it and never got sick herself (lucky girl!). Good luck and feel better soon!
-Lauren

nigele
04-13-2003, 08:22 PM
Sorry you're feeling sick. I had a couple of colds this winter and took Sudafed and/or used Afrin. Also, Motrin helps for the sore throat part of the cold.

Hope you feel better soon!!

Annette_C
04-13-2003, 09:46 PM
Tammy,
I don't have any advice for breastfeeding with a cold but I just wanted to let you know that I really feel for you and hope that you'll be feeling better soon.
I had a terrible head cold this past week and I'm just beginning to feel better (and I don't BF) so, I can imagine what you're going through!
Hang in there...things will turn around soon.
Hugs,
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

etwahl
04-14-2003, 12:32 PM
And if you can believe it, she also now has diarrhea. I swear, every day she has something new wrong with her. I've been at the ped's office more times than I can count in her one month of life.

And I just read an article (that came out after I talked to Evan) that his battalion was told not to expect to come home any time soon (a general told them this) because all the people who could replace them are already deployed. Just the great positive boost I needed to hear...

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003