PDA

View Full Version : Need sleeping advice!

peanut4us
04-14-2003, 09:28 AM
DD (2.5 weeks old) has the serious wiggles whenever we try to put her to bed, especially at night when we want to feed her and go to sleep. No matter what we do, when we put her in her crib, she starts fidgeting and then crying. Then we rock, sing, sway, bouncy chair, swing, etc... until she goes to sleep, usually an hour to an hour and a half later. Oh and she usuaaly wants a bottle of EBM (never mond that I nursed her fo an hour before starting to put her down.).

I know they don't sleep through the night, but i need her to eat and go to bed. Any suggestions, advice?

Joey
mother of Sara Anne 3/27/03

deenass
04-14-2003, 09:40 AM
before my son was born 4 weeks ago I swore I'd never do this, but with a baby who didn't like being put down and a breast infection which required sleep I gave in ... try taking the baby to bed with you. My son falls asleep in my arms and sleeps for 2-3 stretches at night. One day I'll have to figure out how to get him out of my bed, but for right now, one night at a time!

celfsh
04-14-2003, 09:45 AM
Do you swaddle her? That is one thing that worked/works for us.

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02
http://homepage.mac.com/the_big_fish

peanut4us
04-14-2003, 10:06 AM
She naps with me in the afternoon... bt she still fusses in our bed at night. Hubby got her to dleep early this morning by lying with her on her floor.

peanut4us
04-14-2003, 10:08 AM
swaddling was great the first week and a half, but now shr wants to stretch! she doesn't even like to have a blanket draped ovver her when take her out.

peanut4us
04-14-2003, 07:11 PM
Anyone else? We're desparate... and becoming afraid as night falls!

barbarhow
04-16-2003, 08:48 AM
We spent the first few nights with Jack in the bed with us. He wanted none of the bassinet, cradle or crib. We found that while he was sleeping well in bed with us we weren't. A friend suggested the car seat-we now put him in the car seat and then place that in the bassinet next to our bed. It makes sense since everytime we put him in the car seat to go out-he initially fusses and then sleeps through the entire trip. Then if he starts to fuss I rock the car seat a little. This has worked fairly well for us. At least it did until this growth spurt we're in the middle of.
Good luck!
Barbara Mom to Jack 3/27/03

jenmcadams
04-16-2003, 11:36 AM
I would really consider trying swaddling again. We swaddled Abbie until she was 3-4 months old and pretty tightly...she went through phases where she wasn't happy about it, but it always helped her fall asleep and stay asleep longer). Swaddling combined with gentle rocking in a side-to-side motion normally worked to get her back to sleep. I read all of the sleep books and techniques and the only one I found helpful with a newborn was the "Happiest Baby on the Block." Someone gave us the video, but I'm pretty sure there's a book as well (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0553802550/qid=1050510009/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/104-8165398-3519165?v=glance&s=books&n=507846). The doctor featured in the video emphasizes the 5 S's: Swaddling, Side, Shushing, Shaking, Swinging (I think those are right...it's been a while :))

When I saw the video, I though it was all bunk. And, while I know these types of things are pretty kid-specific, it worked great for us....Abbie was exclusively breast fed and slept 4-5 hour stretches at night almost from the beginning and slept through the night by 2 months.

I hope this ends up being helpful for you...hang in there...it definitely gets better.