PDA

View Full Version : How to thank shower hostess?

drsweetie
04-14-2003, 10:41 AM
Hi! One of my co-workers is hosting a shower for us this week, and I'm trying to think of an appropriate way to thank her. Never having done this before, I'm not sure what size of gift would be suitable -- she's invited about 30 people, refuses to let me lift a finger, and is paying for the whole thing herself. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Ellen

C99
04-14-2003, 11:14 AM
I usually spend about $30 on hostess gifts. Sending her flowers or a plant afterwards would be appropriate, as would a small gift (candles, jewelry, books, fruit basket, etc.). I got my shower hostess pink and silver earrings, because I knew she'd like them.

HTH

emilyf
04-14-2003, 02:56 PM
I got my friend a gift basket from a gourmet food store, she likes to cook and recently got engaged so I figured would be getting lots of house stuff for that. It cost me about $50, and she absolutely loved it.
Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02

heidi_timms
04-14-2003, 03:08 PM
I had a group of friends do my baby shower and gave them each goodies from the beauty supply store to pamper themselves. Also, I gave them all manicures when they did my wedding shower a few years ago. I just finished helping with a wedding shower and my friend got us some pretty panties from Victoria's Secret as a gift and I love them!

Also, have you seen www.redenvelope.com? Someone at my work received a gift from there and it came packaged really nice. she got these fancy chocolate-covered oreos and they came in this beautiful wooden box with pretty stuffing. It was pretty impressive and they tasted great! They have some classy/unique gifts on there!

blnony
04-14-2003, 03:19 PM
My best friend hosted one of my baby showers, and I gave her a gift basket filled with Origins products (she loves their stuff.) I think any gift basket (or a gift box) idea is good for a hostess gift. It shows that you've customized a gift for them and it helps make it personal. I always try to do something that is "just for them," when I give hostess gifts because I think it shows a lot of care, when they have done so much.(Thowing showers and parties for people is hard work:))
Maybe find out what kind of things she really likes, i.e. cooking, pampering stuff, candles, reading, etc. and come up with a really personal gift.
edited to add: You can figure she spent at least $100 if not probably more on decorations, invitations, food, plates, gift etc. so I always shoot for about $50. But that is just a gage, it might be different under other circumstances...)

Eliz
04-18-2003, 11:35 AM
I just have to say that I think it's great that you all are so thoughtful!!! Have people always been so great about giving thank you gifts to hostesses? I have received a couple of thoughtful gifts from my very best friends for hosting showers a few years back. But many more times not even a card! I've felt that hostesses don't seem to get enough credit.
Since my mom hosted my baby shower, (I know relatives aren't supposed to, but I think everyone was fine with it) I helped a lot and didn't buy her a gift. Although in retrospect I should have.

Everyone has given a lot of good suggestions and I'm sure your co-worker will be happy to know you appreciate her effort!

Elizabeth

kclm
04-18-2003, 12:50 PM
I was in the same situation of a co-worker hosting a shower, and I got her a large box of Godiva chocolates as a thank-you.

Karen
Tad, 11/21/02

barbarhow
04-18-2003, 02:41 PM
I gave my sister, who hosted my baby shower, a facial at a great salon. I knew she would love it and wouldn't spend the money on it herself. All of the above are great suggestions. It depends on the person and what she would like. The very fact that you are doing something is great.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

dogmom
04-18-2003, 04:48 PM
I knew the sex and name of my baby. I had three hostesses, so I bought each a different present that would be good for them, but gave them all cards "To Auntie So-and-So" from Harvey. I wanted to give them all silver charm braclets with a heart with his name on it, but I couldn't find three matching ones at the last minute. I wish I had.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

cuca_
04-18-2003, 04:58 PM
My SIL hosted a baby shower for me and I got her an assortment of bath things from L'Occitane. I agree with others in that you should giver her something for her to enjoy. With regards to the amount I paid for the gift I took into consideration the fact that she was thoughtful enough to host the shower, the fact that she paid for everything, and on top of that got me gifts. Whatever amount you spend on the gift, though, I am sure that your co-worker will be thrilled by your thoughtfulness!!