PDA

View Full Version : Eczema question

nigele
04-20-2003, 07:56 AM
Thomas has a bad eczema break-out all around his little neck. It is bright red and bumpy and looks sort of raw. I spoke to a nurse at our ped's office and she said it was probably the heat that caused it and to be sure to dress him in all cotton (which I do) and use Aquaphor or Vaseline. After speaking with her, I realized I have been using those plastic bibs when he eats and since he drools a lot when trying to use his sippy, I wonder if the bib has been the main contributor to his breakout. Has anybody else dealt with this?

TIA!

blnony
04-20-2003, 09:07 AM
About a month ago, Audrey had a terrible eczema break out on her face, it was so bad it looked liked she had been punched in the eye! She was with my Mom, and even my Mom freaked out. (She's usually very calm about baby stuff) and when I saw it I felt awful. On advice of our Ped. we had been using Aquaphor too, but it just didn't do the job. I figured out it was the "hand and face" wipes that we had used to clean up Audrey after eating, and I quickly did away with that, and started using cloth wipes with water only. I also found a great Baby Eczema cream at Target, in two days it looked wonderful. No sign of the redness and bumps at all. Nothing. Its made by Gentle Naturals and I also got the baby eczema wash, and its made a big difference. My mom also showed me trick with the bibs, because the plastic ones left this dark red mark and bumps on the back Audrey's neck. I just use an old cotton cloth napkin, washed in All Free and drape it around her neck and attach it with a clothes pin in back. Its soft, nothing rubs her skin, and its big enough to catch everything, and I don't care what she gets on it.:)
HTH-

etwahl
04-20-2003, 10:36 AM
what products do you use in the bath? ped has me using cetaphil, but what about for washing her hair?

i've got a cortisone prescription cream for breakouts. she had one on her neck yesterday and this morning it's gone

what section is the baby naturals in?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003

lisams
04-20-2003, 11:41 AM
Hi Tammy and Lisa,

We've been through a big flare up also, so I feel your pain. It's so hard to see your little one look so uncomfortable.

We also use Cetephil in the bath (am missing those suds, though!) and just Johnson's shampoo which hasn't bothered her. When she's done we put Eucerin Cream on her face (it's the kind in a tub, really thick like Crisco). The cream mentioned above can be found down the baby aisle with all of the other baby lotions. I've heard it work for some babies and not for others, but it's worth a try.

We also use a tiny, tiny smidge of Aveeno cortisone cream if there are any flare-ups, and that seems to work. We used the perscription cortisone only once for the initial flare-up, and now the Aveeno seems to be enough for the occasional irritation.

Also (sorry this got SO long) Tammy,I noticed your post about smelly poops and gas in the other forum. My DD had the same thing, and once I took dairy, peanuts and chocolate out of my diet it got so much better. I took those things out because of her Eczema and then realized that her poops weren't as smelly/green and she didn't have as much gas and spitting up.

Good luck! I hope things get better for Lauren and Tommy soon!
Lisa

nigele
04-20-2003, 02:11 PM
I'll look for the Gentle Naturals line, thanks for the suggestion, Brianna. I'll also check out the Aveeno cortison cream, Lisa!

Our last ped gave us Locoid for the eczema on his face, which worked, but only after several days. A few months ago, my new ped said to use an over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream for flare ups. I have used it but it doesn't seem to help. I was hesitant to use the Locoid again without talking to the new ped (I wonder if I threw it out?)

Tammy - for soap, we use Dove for Sensitive Skin and use the regular Baby Magic shampoo for washing his hair.

Thanks for all your help!

Andrea S
04-20-2003, 06:20 PM
My ped also said to use cortisone 10 on the red patches that were not going away with aquaphor.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

blnony
04-20-2003, 07:06 PM
Audrey's face especially around her right eye has always been a very sore spot. Our Ped. also thought that her light therapy for jaundice contributed to the problem. When I was BF I took out all dairy and nuts. She still had the problem. Now, the Ped. thinks that her eczema is irritated by "inhalent" allergies i.e. some types of pollen. This spring we've had some terrible flare ups. I've used a prescription lotion, aquaphor, eucerin, etc. We've even tried every baby wash product, plus some others and the only thing that hasn't irritated her skin are the Kiehl's products, and the Gentle Natural's stuff (which is so much cheaper). I tried some Waterbabies sunscreen the other day, (not on her face) because we were at the park with some friends, and she had sore red spots all over her legs and arms!:( The Kiehl's baby shampoo has lasted forever, because Audrey doesn't have much hair and we only shampoo her head every third day. Our ped. really advised us not to wash it everyday because of the drying effect to her scalp. The Johnson and Johnson products were the worst for us.
I've ordered the Kiehl's baby sunscreen and hopefully that will work for this summer. Its just maddening to see her so uncomfortable and look so awful. Now that she's bigger she actually rubs the spots and makes things worse. The Gentle Naturals products are next to the other baby wash products at Target, by the Aveeno products and such.
One hint..the box with the Eczema cream has a $1 coupon in it without an expiration, so open the box and use the coupon at the checkout..kind of sneeky but its about $7 without the coupon.
For really bad flare ups, I use a dab of 1% hydrocortizone and the Gentle Naturals cream and it really makes a difference. I've also used the Calendula baby cream on moderate places and had some success too. But the Weleda Baby Soap makes Audrey break out bad though.
Good luck guys-

Marisa6826
04-20-2003, 07:34 PM
We use the Gentle Naturals stuff too and it's been wonderful. I noticed that they're even selling it at CVS now.

We have the eczema cream, the cradle cap stuff and the eczema wash.

-m