PDA

View Full Version : Doulas and/or massage therapists during labor

mommyj
04-21-2003, 02:01 PM
I was reading through the earlier post about natural births, and I'm really interested in hearing more about anyone's experiences with a doula. Did you give birth in a regular hospital or in a birthing center? Approximately how much does it cost to hire a doula? How do you feel they enhanced your birth experience?
I also read an older post about hiring a massage therapist rather than a doula. Do any of you have throughts or suggestions on which option would be better? I'm going to give birth in a regular hospital, but I've heard this hopsital has a pretty high rate of natural births.
I would really appreciate any thoughts or suggestions any of you have, since this is my first child (due in July). Thanks!

** Do any of you happen to live in the SF bay area? I just got a list of doulas in the east bay from DONA, and there are so many it's hard to know where to begin. If any of you have had a positive experience with a doula in the oakland/berkeley area, I would love to get her name. Thanks!
For those of you not in the bay area, how many women did you interview before choosing your doula? I think the list I got has over 30 doulas, so I'm not sure if I should just email all of them or choose a few.

KathyO
04-21-2003, 02:14 PM
I didn't have a doula, but largely because they are not very common in my area. However, my OB (who is a kind, flexible, laid-back woman, so it wasn't like she has power-sharing issues) did comment that she has occasionally seen doulas who are so focused on the job that the husband ends up pushed to one side, sitting on his hands, and that always makes her sad.

I am NOT in any way suggesting that all doulas are like this - just make sure you check beforehand on what their approach to the father's role is, and that it's one you're comfortable with.

A friend of mine did go the massage-therapist route, and was very pleased with how it worked out.

HTH,

KathyO

AngelaS
04-21-2003, 02:19 PM
I didn't have one--my midwife and nurse took turns massaging my back. They did it PERFECTLY.

BTW--my dh was perfectly content to be off to the side sitting on his hands. His motto---There's a reason they always used to make the men go boil water.... LOL

Rachels
04-21-2003, 02:25 PM
I had a doula (who was also a massage therapist), and I wouldn't EVER consider a birth without one! DH needed to be convinced, but he is also now a major doula advocate. Without her, I am quite certain I would never have been able to have a natural birth. She supported me through those moments when I was sure I couldn't do it anymore, and she supported my husband as well. It was really wonderful. I found that I didn't much want to be massaged while I was laboring, but the support was invaluable. FWIW, I had a birth center birth. How much a doula costs will vary depending on where you are, but ours had a sliding scale. We paid her maximum ($600), feeling that her presence at the birth was priceless and worth every dime.

If you're interested, there's a book about doulas which is an easy, quick read. It's called *Mothering the Mother: How a Doula Can Help You Have a Shorter, Easier Childbirth*. It has LOTS of info, FAQs, etc. Lots of research, too, which shows wonderful stuff like the fact that people who deliver with doulas have a 50% reduction in c-section rates, shorter labors, etc.

I'd be glad to talk more if you have questions!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

stillplayswithbarbies
04-21-2003, 03:31 PM
The hospital where I gave birth pays most of the cost of a doula, so it only cost us $50. The baby came so quickly that the baby arrived before the doula got there, but I will definitely have a doula next time. Assuming we get to the hospital in time. :)

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

mommyj
04-21-2003, 09:37 PM
Thank you so much for the responses to my post! I'm definitely going to look into different doulas in my area. I know my DH will want to be actively involved in my labor, but since I really want to try a natural birth, it would be really nice to have a doula there as well. Thanks again for sharing your advice/experiences.

Jami

gour0
04-21-2003, 10:39 PM
My doula was wonderful! And, she really helped DH to be more involved. We gave birth in a birthing center and the nurses there all commented on what a great 'team' we made. :) I never want to give birth w/o a doula. Their fees range from $200 to $800 depending. I actually got mine for free by writing to DONA for a list of non-certified doulas in my area. I emailed 16 women and told them I couldn't afford a doula but really wanted one. I asked if anyone was looking to volunteer to gain experience. They need to attend three births in six months to get their certification. I had four women say they would be honored to attend my birth. I talked to three and met with one. She was AWESOME. HTH!

Annette_C
04-21-2003, 10:44 PM
Ditto!
Karen, you and I gave birth at the same hospital so all it cost us was $50 also.
I would highly recommend a doula! Mine was wonderful! She was supportive, helpful but not bossy (I've heard stories where that happened).
HTH and good luck,
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

stillplayswithbarbies
04-21-2003, 10:54 PM
Annette, I just saw where they are raising the rate to $100, but still it is a great deal. They are also canceling their parent education program completely. Too much competition from the Birth Center, perhaps?

For those who are concerned the doula will take over the husband's role . . . we went to a presentation by the doulas where they explained that they are there to support the husband as well, not replace him.

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

C99
04-22-2003, 10:11 AM
I thought of having one, but since they don't have privileges at the hospital where I was giving birth and my OB does perineal massage, I just skipped it. I didn't have (or want) a natural birth, however.