PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for babbling to start

mam615
04-24-2003, 08:06 PM
When did your baby start babbling (saying "bababa or dadada" or something like that)?

Dorothy has been cruising along for the first 6 months meeting all her milestones (smiling, rolling over, etc.), but at her 6-month check-up (a week and a half ago), the doctor said I should watch for her to start babbling -- it should happen VERY soon. Also, the "What to Expect" book says it should happen by 6 months, and if it doesn't, you should inform the doctor.

I'm not at the worried stage yet, but I guess with each passing day without any babbles (except from me!), I start to get a little more concerned about a developmental delay.

I talk to her, I sing to her, I give her solo time to play and scoot around. What else should I be doing?

Don't worry, I'm not neurotic, and I truly am not really worried yet (even though it probably sounds like I am!).

Thanks for sharing.

brubeck
04-24-2003, 08:22 PM
If all the other milestones are okay you can probably wait another month or two before really getting worried.

But let me share my story with you. When my daughter was born I had a pushy LC in the hospital who told me that she was not latching right because she had a shortened frenulum. Well I got all stressed out and worried but forgot about it after she started latching on.

Fast forward to 6 months later when the other babies I know her age are making tongue sounds. Amy made back-of-the-throat sounds (my favorite was when she would say 'geek'!) but she did not make ANY tongue sounds (such as la, na, ta, etc.). Then a couple of months later she started making lip sounds (ma, ba, pa) but had skipped the tongue sounds. All the books said that the tongue sounds should come first so I start freaking out again thinking her 'shortened frenulum' is causing a speech impediment. At her next wellcheck I ask the ped about it and she said that the frenulum was just fine and Amy would make the sounds soon. Turns out the ped was right, my daughter just didn't do things by the book.

So my answer to you is maybe Dorothy is just doing things at her own pace. Wait a while before worrying! I know that's harder than it sounds. :-)

mama2be
04-24-2003, 08:25 PM
Well Mommy Michelle when you are as cute and adorable as little Dorothy is there is no need to "coo" at anyone... she is busy entertaining everyone cooing at her!!!

That picture of her MELTS my heart!!!! she looks like one to take it all in but when she speaks watch out I suspect she'll have a lot to say!!!

She is so precious!!! I know nothing about milestones BUT can tell from that picture you don't have anything to worry about!!!

mama2be
04-24-2003, 08:29 PM
My husband has the "shortened frenulum" infact I think it is what folks joke about as a "tied tongue"...over the week-end we discussed it with my parents who thought a "tied tongue" was just an expression they did not realize it existed.

The first thing I asked (not like it mattered) when Tristan was born was "does he have a tied tongue"..Tristan does not.

Steve doesn't seem to be bothered by his at all...

Momof3Labs
04-24-2003, 08:51 PM
Colin isn't doing what I would call babbling - but he's also been busy working on other stuff lately, like crawling (dangerous, now that he KNOWS that he can do it) and pulling up (tried it once or twice, successfully), growing two more teeth, and eating oatmeal and squash! I figure that once this burst of physical growth and activity winds down, he will start focusing on the verbal stuff again. Babies tend to focus on one thing at a time, and I bet that Dorothy has other things on her mind right now.

My ped wasn't the least bit concerned that he wasn't babbling yet - in fact, she didn't even ask about it at his 6 month appointment. And most of the babies on my "Babies Born in October" board are not babbling yet, either (we hang out there since I was due in October and know all the mommies well). So Dorothy sounds perfectly normal!

Karenn
04-24-2003, 08:57 PM
Colin didn't babble like that until one week after his 9 month appointment. I was worried at the appointment, and asked the ped. He said I shouldn't worry until 12 mos. Now he won't stop talking! (And I'm loving it!)

cara1
04-24-2003, 09:07 PM
DS didn't start babbling until a few days after his 9 month check-up. But don't go by us, because he's now 14.5 mos, and we are still waiting, waiting, waiting (not so patiently) for a first word.....

jojo2324
04-24-2003, 09:16 PM
I wouldn't worry too much. I read 6 months too, in WTE, and when I asked my ped she said that 6 months was too early, that 7 months was average. And pretty much day one after he turned 7 months the babbling started! He has only really been going off with noises in the last two weeks, like having full out conversations with himself. It's so cute. Today I did notice a new noise, "va." I think he has m, b, y (or is that j...he says "ya ya ya" a lot), d, and l. I think that's it.

mam615
04-24-2003, 09:22 PM
Lori, you are probably right. She is very focused right now on learning to crawl. Hasn't quite gotten there yet, but does a military-style push up and then tries to lunge forward. Often ends in a belly flop that looks painful, but she doesn't seem to mind. Her first 2 teeth just came in in the last couple of weeks as well.

I'm feeling better already hearing what you and the others have to say about milestones.

Andrea S
04-24-2003, 09:48 PM
Andrew just started babbling this past week end. He has been focusing all of his energy in motor. He also climbed up the stairs this past w/e so we had to hurry up and install the gates. He thinks a game now and if he sees the gate not up at the bottem of the stairs he laughs and takes off for it.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02